Mother's Day Meal Bombs

Railroad

Routinely Derailed
So I said to myself, "Self," I said, "howsabout something new and different for the Mother's day meal this year?"

:yikes:

Sis Kebab. Easy, right? You get those little sticks, and stick a bunch of veggies and meat on 'em, and grill 'em, right?

Not.

So I went out and spared no expense on tomatoes, potatoes, shallots, and onions. Thawed out some nice steaks and stew beef. Pulled the Crew together and had a veggie-cleaning and kebab-assembling party at the kitchen stink.

Fired up the grill and away we went.

Later on, everyone said the meal was great, except for a few small details:

• The potatoes didn't cook at all
  • The baby onions were thermonuclear devices that I'm still burping up today
  • The tomatoes were too sweet for Mrs. Railroad, so she disliked them
I was wearing a new silk shirt. Wore an apron while cooking. Didn't while eating. Splattered A-1 sauce on my shirt.

When everyone broke up for the evening, we avoided kissing each other goodbye.

I have a meeting today.

The onion stink is curling my hair.

:yikes: :ohwell:

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Shishkebab sucks. You have to be really careful what you put on the skewer because everything doesn't cook at the same rate. Potatoes and tomatoes are an especially poor combination.

But what the heck - you only learn to do by doing, right?

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
And a chicken wing recipe

I love chicken wings but doing them on the grill always ticks me off because they cook stupid. So last time I pulled them out so they were almost straight from drumette to tip and threaded a skewer through each one to keep them that way. Cooked up very nicely without charred spots and raw spots. The Grill God on MPT taught me that little trick.

Marinade them in teriyaki sauce for a day or two, then baste them with Buffalo sauce during cooking. Yowza!!

BadGirl

I am so very blessed
vraiblonde said:
I love chicken wings but doing them on the grill always ticks me off because they cook stupid. So last time I pulled them out so they were almost straight from drumette to tip and threaded a skewer through each one to keep them that way. Cooked up very nicely without charred spots and raw spots. The Grill God on MPT taught me that little trick.

Marinade them in teriyaki sauce for a day or two, then baste them with Buffalo sauce during cooking. Yowza!!
Good Gaaaaaawwwdddd that sounds delicious.

I know what I'm picking up at the grocery store on my way home from work today. :yum:

RoseRed

American Beauty
PREMO Member
Usually when I make them I don't intertwine the food, I just put all meat on one, same vegies on other, etc. That way you put them on at different times so they all get cooked accordingly.

Railroad

Routinely Derailed
morganj614 said:
Railroad, the fact you tried is enough..LOL..learn by trial and error and what your family likes. Mushrooms & pepper slices work and each person can constuct their own. Italian dressing makes a good marinade.
Just think, the kebabs are still with you today. :lol:
Thanks, dearie!! I like the mushrooms idea. Pepper slices won't work here because nobody likes them (including me). We did do the Italian Dressing marinade, and it worked well as usual.

Railroad

Routinely Derailed
RoseRed said:
Usually when I make them I don't intertwine the food, I just put all meat on one, same vegies on other, etc. That way you put them on at different times so they all get cooked accordingly.
Good thinking! If I ever try this again, that sounds like the way to go! Thanks!

Pegster710

The Pegster
Railroad said:
Sis Kebab. Easy, right? You get those little sticks, and stick a bunch of veggies and meat on 'em, and grill 'em, right?

Not.

• The potatoes didn't cook at all
  • The baby onions were thermonuclear devices that I'm still burping up today
  • The tomatoes were too sweet for Mrs. Railroad, so she disliked them

• My dad does a garden every year and we do shish kebobs from the fresh veggies and use different meats. I've found that cutting up the veggies in chunks helps a lot. You can skewer the chunks. We also use zucchini and yellow squash on ours, instead of potatos. We did cherry tomatos instead of grape tomatoes - less sweetness to them. We also used NY strip steak cut into chunks and chicken cut into chunks. Tried pork, that didn't work well... We marinated the kebobs overnight in Italian dressing - there are many varieties available. We cooked them on the grill using the meat as our guide. :yum:

Last edited:

jazz lady

~*~ Rara Avis ~*~
PREMO Member
RoseRed said:
I have never heard of potatoes on shish kebobs.
:yeahthat: Potatoes take a LONG time to cook and aren't good on a shish kabob as you found out. :lol:

I usually use beef, chicken, or shrimp with onions (sweet ones like Vidalias :yum: ), red/yellow/orange peppers (green give me heartburn), mushrooms, cherry tomatoes and zucchini/yellow squash. :yum: I marinade them the night before and assemble right before cooking.

RoseRed

American Beauty
PREMO Member
jazz lady said:
I usually use beef, chicken, or shrimp with onions (sweet ones like Vidalias :yum: ), red/yellow/orange peppers (green give me heartburn), mushrooms, cherry tomatoes and zucchini/yellow squash. :yum: I marinade them the night before and assemble right before cooking.

That is pretty much the same as what I do.

Also, make your own shish kabobs are great when having a group of friends over. Put all of the above out on the table and everyone can make their own. We did this one year and it POURED outside. Not having a covered deck, we pulled the grill up to the back door and held an umbrella over it. :lmao:

Don't forget to soak the wooden skewers before hand so they don't burn. :yay:

jazz lady

~*~ Rara Avis ~*~
PREMO Member
RoseRed said:
Also, make your own shish kabobs are great when having a group of friends over. Put all of the above out on the table and everyone can make their own.
That's a good idea! :yay:

:yeahthat: They need to soak for at least an hour or two. I have some metal skewers, but I don't like them. I like the wooden ones much better plus they are disposable. No muss, no fuss!

RoseRed

American Beauty
PREMO Member
jazz lady said:

:yeahthat: They need to soak for at least an hour or two. I have some metal skewers, but I don't like them. I like the wooden ones much better plus they are disposable. No muss, no fuss!

I have these neat round ones my sister gave me. They are the same size as a dinner plate. :yay:

virgovictoria

Tight Pants and Lipstick
PREMO Member
jazz lady said:

I actually prefer the metal skewers.. handles, reusable, they're a good conductor and even distributor of heat.. blah blah blah...

No mother's day meal here. Was going to go to family's house possibly, but my girls were trying to eat each other for the day, so... the festivities didn't stand a chance!

Agee

Try grilled Fruit Kabobs,

Mango, Papaya, Pineapple, and bannas. Serve with vanillia or lemon yogurt. :yum:

Railroad

Routinely Derailed
RoseRed said:
Yup, did that. I bought some really nice, sturdy round ones someplace (can't recall when or where, I've had them for years and never used them until yesterday).