transfer data to another computer?

jill

I must transfer this hard disk's content to a newer computer. This one has only an A drive, which means backing up to a zillion floppies. It is Win98 1st edition. Newer computer is Win98 2nd edition.
1-should I go with Windows backup program?
2-Winzip?
3-xcopy?
4-In DOS 3.0 days, I did 2 backups; one for current data, the other for full hard drive. When a disk was full, you were prompted to 'insert another disk.' Anyone remember how to do a batch like that?
Also, from an earlier post: I tried to email Kazamm1061 about their response. I got a message something like
"....mail client device not properly installed..." I have NO idea what that means. Just proves again that my knowledge of computering is shrinking rapidly and this computer is sinking fast!

Frank

Chairman of the Board
You might have a better alternative. Do they both have Ethernet cards? You could just buy a $20 crossover cable, and re-boot. In "Network Neighborhood" they should see each other. That's what I did with mine.

K

KaZamm1061

Jill did you ever get your data transfered/ There is a program called Ghost which does a very good job of moving you data from one drive to another. very easy and very quick. Nothing changes everything you see on your old harddrive will be the same on the other hard drive. I have this program if you need it. i can email it to you if you would like. easy to use with some guidence. I would be willing to help guide you through it over the phone if you'd like. let me know. Email is on my profile. :)

Jill and all,

I use a USB cable to transfer data between two CPU's.  But the best and safest way, with no other software and parts needed, is to remove the hard drive from the old computer and slave it in the place of the CD ROM drive of the new computer.  If the CD drive jumpers are set at Master or Slave the settings on the old hard drive most be the same.  When starting up the new computer and you notice that the BIOS screen doesn't see the old hard drive you will need to go into your BIOS setting to set it to AUTO Detect the hard drive.
 FYI, for over 20 years I have found that this is the best and safest way to transfer you data.

PC__GIRL

Transfering Data

Hi There,

If you want to copy the whole drive over ghost works well or if you dont want to have to reinstall your programs over use ghost.

If it's just data, No programs the cross over cables work fine with a cat 5 cable it takes about an hour for 1.6 gig.

If moneys not tight why not slave the hard drive and not transfer the info at all. hard drives are cheap and if your getting rid of the old PC ...... Other wise you could always get a small replacment drive for the old one I paid 20 dollars for a used 4 gig for 60 you could get a brand new 20 or 30 gig.

DarbyOhara

Musician
Originally posted by jill
I must transfer this hard disk's content to a newer computer. This one has only an A drive, which means backing up to a zillion floppies. It is Win98 1st edition. Newer computer is Win98 2nd edition.
1-should I go with Windows backup program?
2-Winzip?
3-xcopy?
4-In DOS 3.0 days, I did 2 backups; one for current data, the other for full hard drive. When a disk was full, you were prompted to 'insert another disk.' Anyone remember how to do a batch like that?
Also, from an earlier post: I tried to email Kazamm1061 about their response. I got a message something like
"....mail client device not properly installed..." I have NO idea what that means. Just proves again that my knowledge of computering is shrinking rapidly and this computer is sinking fast!

Hi.. I read through your post here and the responses you received... I am a bit fuzzy as to what you are trying to achieve. You have an old pc with a hard drive of data... and the new one ONLY has a floppy (hopefully it has a hard drive too). As a few suggested, you fastest method is to take the hard drive out of the old one and place it as a slave in the new one.... Let us know if you need more instruction or help... good luck...