Maryland Poison Center Issues Warning for Children's Tylenol Meltaways

mainman

Set Trippin
[font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Maryland Poison Center Issues Warning for Children's Tylenol Meltaways[/font]

[font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Confusing Labeling Can Lead to Overdose[/font]

[font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]The Maryland Poison Center has issued a warning that Children's Tylenol Meltaways (acetaminophen) for kids aged 2 to 6, contain confusing labeling that can lead to overdose.[/font]

[font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Tylenol Meltaways, which come in a variety of "kid friendly" flavors such as Grape Punch, are provided as 80 mg tablets that dissolve easily in the mouth making swallowing the medication easier for children.[/font]

[font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]According to the Maryland Poison Center, "The available blister package exhibits confusing labeling and packaging that could accidentally double the typical dose of medication given to small children. Although intended as a convenience for parents with children who may require one, two, or three tablets per dose, the packaging looks like a typical unit-dose package for institutional use."[/font]

[font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]The Maryland Poison Center continues, "Some hospitals have already purchased this dosage form. But while the front of the carton states 'medicine per dose 80 mg,' the individual blister packs that contain either one or two 80 mg tablets are all labeled 'Children's Tylenol 80 mg'. With the two tablet blister packs, some practitioners may conclude that both tablets should be given to provide an 80 mg dose, resulting in a 160 mg double dose (or a 320 mg dose if 160 mg is intended)."
[/font]

[font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]For more information call the Maryland Poison Center at 800-222-1222.[/font]

K

Kain99

Yikes! I think it's really easy not think of drugs like this as dangerous anyway. :smile:

D

dems4me

Thanks - they had a blurb about this on the news last weekend but I didn't catch all of it because I don't have kids. Thanks for posting for those that do have kids. That's very sweet of you. :smile: