hip dysplasia

rigirl

I am looking for advice on treating my 5 yr old lab who has hip dysplasia. Right now she is on meds, but may need surgery to correct the problem. Could you recommend a doc? If you've gone the surgery route, how well did your dog improve?

I appreciate any advice you can give.

happyappygirl

Rocky Mountain High!!
It has been my experience that any dog over 30-40 lbs should NOT have hip surgery. They don't seem to recover as well. What they generally recommend is a TPLO which removes the ball. If you put your dog on Glycoflex, I think you will see a different dog. Glycoflex actually tightens the hip joint, which lessens the wear and tear on the joint by increased stability, less joint laxity. it is cumulative, so you have to give it a month or so to see any results. I had a Rottie live to be 14, with severe HD, and the only thing I had to do was help her up into the back of the van. Swimming is also a GREAT exercise for them, it strengthes their joints without putting any weight on them.

K

Kizzy

happyappygirl said:
It has been my experience that any dog over 30-40 lbs should NOT have hip surgery. They don't seem to recover as well. What they generally recommend is a TPLO which removes the ball. If you put your dog on Glycoflex, I think you will see a different dog. Glycoflex actually tightens the hip joint, which lessens the wear and tear on the joint by increased stability, less joint laxity. it is cumulative, so you have to give it a month or so to see any results. I had a Rottie live to be 14, with severe HD, and the only thing I had to do was help her up into the back of the van. Swimming is also a GREAT exercise for them, it strengthes their joints without putting any weight on them.

Great advice Happy. :yay: This paragraph sounds almost exactly like the advice Dr. Cunningham in La Plata gave me when we found out our lab had it, back in 1991. He DID NOT recommend hip replacement surgery at all for any dog over 40 pounds.

Good luck ri, it is awful news, but hopefully, something will help you dog be comfortable.

Suz

33 yrs & we r still n luv
happyappygirl said:
Right on! My Taz was on it when he was diagnosed. He went from having trouble getting up after laying down awhile to acting like a puppy again. AND I just so happen to have a full (1 scoop gone) container of it. It's not cheap stuff-but not that expensive considering how long it lasts.

Pm me rigirl if your interested in buying it from me. I'll make you a deal on it just to get it gone. My new pups don't need it.

rigirl

Thank you all for your input. Right now our lab is taking Synovi-MSM. It's $100/120 tabs from the vet.(I was shocked at the price). I have searched online and found a cheaper price, but I still have plenty of pills right now. Just curious to know how long it took for the glycloflex to kick in for Taz? Our dog has been on her meds for a couple of weeks. We have seen an improvement, but she's definitely not back to her playful self. My worry is that she never will be.

Suz

33 yrs & we r still n luv
rigirl said:
Thank you all for your input. Right now our lab is taking Synovi-MSM. It's $100/120 tabs from the vet.(I was shocked at the price). I have searched online and found a cheaper price, but I still have plenty of pills right now. Just curious to know how long it took for the glycloflex to kick in for Taz? Our dog has been on her meds for a couple of weeks. We have seen an improvement, but she's definitely not back to her playful self. My worry is that she never will be.
I think he was only on it a couple weeks maybe 2 before we saw a improvement. This is granular and you put it on their food. Taz loved it! (I sure miss him!)