Granite counter tops

PJay

Know nothing about this material. Place I'll be moving into has them.

Wondering if there's anyone here who has/had granite counter tops and if you like?

Appreciate you're input on the care and maintance, do's and do nots,etc.

ALSO: Limestone. Bathroom floor and shower will be tiled in this material. Again, appreciate knowing the answers to the same questions above on this material as well.

Thank you

Last edited:
R

remaxrealtor

Homesick said:
Know nothing about this material. Place I'll be moving into has them.

Wondering if there's anyone here who has/had granite counter tops and if you like?

Appreciate you're input on the care and maintance, do's and do nots,etc.

ALSO: Limestone. Bathroom floor and shower will be tiled in this material. Again, appreciate knowing the answers to the same questions above on this material as well.

Thank you

Granite is beautiful but it does require care. It should be sealed once a year and be careful with an ything acidic such as wine or citrus , it will mark the surface if left sitting.

PJay

remaxrealtor said:
Granite is beautiful but it does require care. It should be sealed once a year and be careful with an ything acidic such as wine or citrus , it will mark the surface if left sitting.

Thank you, remaxrealtor

Sealed?? Can I do this myself, or does it take a professional? See I have a lot to learn.

How do you clean granite, as in products used? Sounds like bleach is out, woe is me.

half-pint

Sugar Glider
Homesick said:
Thank you, remaxrealtor

Sealed?? Can I do this myself, or does it take a professional? See I have a lot to learn.

How do you clean granite, as in products used? Sounds like bleach is out, woe is me.

I've been considering granite countertops myself. Go to www.google.com There's a wealth of information on both granite and limestone. Enjoy your countertops while I still dream of mine. :cheers:

http://www.ehow.com/how_18200_clean-granite-countertop.html

PJay

half-pint said:
I've been considering granite countertops myself. Go to www.google.com There's a wealth of information on both granite and limestone. Enjoy your countertops while I still dream of mine. :cheers:

http://www.ehow.com/how_18200_clean-granite-countertop.html

Thank you, half-pint. I'd give you my granite countertops if I could. Sounds like they're work. I didn't want a countertop that you have to be careful with. From what I hear you can't cut on them either?

I've been searching google, with no luck, that's why I'm asking here.

Will read your url for ehow now. Thought I searched there too.

JabbaJawz

Be about it
Sealed?? Never heard of that in my life. We have a large granite island with those silver specks in it, and I had no idea of any required maintenance. :shrug:

kom526

They call me ... Sarcasmo
You may want to consider Silestone or DuPont Zodiaq countertops also. Zodiaq is made from quartz which is almost as hard as diamonds. Diamonds are a 10 on the Rockwell scale and quartz is a 7 or 8 whereas granite is 5 or 6. With either zodiaq or silestone if you have to make small repairs you can, and there is no need to seal the surface. If you are replacing existing countertops, there is a company in Northern VA called Granite Transformations that does resurfacing with a granite polymer that lays on top of your existing countertops. No demolition! granite <click here
My wife and I getting ready to build the dream house so we have been doing some research. Good luck!

marianne

Homesick said:
I didn't want a countertop that you have to be careful with. From what I hear you can't cut on them either?

You can cut on Granite tops but it's not recommended due to the possibility of chipping (plus it will dull your knives). I decided against putting granite countertops in our house, despite the hoopla about granite. But if I were inheriting a granite top, I wouldn't give it up either.

"Oils, juices, wine, etc., can permeate the pores and lead to discoloration, which can not be repaired. Granite tops therefore require periodic sealing. Another commonly overlooked consideration when using darker colored granite is that with its glossy finish, under-cabinet lighting may be reflected back onto the countertop surface. A “honed” granite finish, in which the glossiness is removed, is available, but the problem of staining is then greatly increased."

poster

everything requires extra care to prolong its status. so do the granite countertops. we must take extra care and maintenance for these stuff. :smack:

True, I have granite and love it.

It's very easy, clean off the counter in the morning, put on sealer and let sit overnight - in the am put everything back. I use bleach cleaners on mine and don't have a problem, every now and then I use a spray "granite" cleaner.

I don't cut on it often because it dulls my knives. My most fav thing - ANYTHING HOT can be set on it and rolling out doughs right on the counter.

MrX

High Octane
I have granite counters as well, and love them. As poster mentioned, the maintenance isnt anything too difficult and they look fantastic :yay:

BeenSpur'd

I love her wild,wild hair
I have granite counters as well, and love them. As poster mentioned, the maintenance isnt anything too difficult and they look fantastic :yay:

I have granite counter tops and would never think of anything else. The once a year sealing is very little in time/cost and the granite is amazing. I even designed and built my own cabinets ( out of wood that I cut on my farm) to save money so I could have granite. I also have them in every bathroom. They will be around for generations. I don't think any other material can last that long. I cut on mine and don't mind the knife dulling, I have a diamond bit sharpener, in two minutes I have a knife that will slice a hair in half. I do a lot of cooking and love to be able to put hot pots and pans down anywhere without thought. It's the best. I love them so much I would marry them if I wasn't already married:)