Ent

K

Kizzy

Can anyone recommend a good ENT in the area for a child under the age of 10?

I have heard just as many good stories as bad stories with Dr. Garro in Waldorf. Many have seemed to focus on Dr. Garro's bedside manner, and frankly, if that is the only grip, I can deal with that just as long as he is a good doctor and performs well.

It appears my 9 year old is going to have to have some surgery. We have been battling strep for nearly 7 months. It is believed that my son carries the strep on the back of his tonsils and no sooner do we finish an antibiotic, the strep reappears. The choice to have the tonsils removed has been left up to us, but when a child carries strep, it tears down his immune system, makes them tired, so I don't think we have a choice here, the antibiotics are not effective.

Anyway, any insight or recommendations are appreciated.

DoWhat

Deplorable
PREMO Member
I go to Dr. Daly (female).
Leonardtown (301) 997-0909

PS
But she may be the one that caused my ear to leak.

Elle

Happy Camper!
DoWhat said:
I go to Dr. Daly (female).
Leonardtown (301) 997-0909
She's done all 3 of Ty's ear surgeries (9 mos., 2 & 4 y/o)

I've been really happy with her. She is a little abrupt but always makes time to talk and explain things and will even talk to him, not just me, about what's going on.

bresamil

wandering aimlessly
Kiz-
The oldest had his tonsils removed by Dr. Chambers (301-475-1692). He's a frumpy little dude but did a good job. Quick recovery and no problems. Boy was 8 at the time. Good luck!

josmom

I can tell you that I too, was a carrier for Strep when I was a child, and my parents had my tonsils and adnoids removed. Since that Day I have never again had strep. And I was like your son, so as much as you hate to make your son have the surgery, it will be almost an immediate fix. I do remember the only pain that I had was a sore throat for a day, maybe 2, at the max. Getting my wisdom teeth out was much more painful in my eyes.

Good luck!!! I will pray for you......:huggy:

Pegster710

The Pegster
bresamil said:
Kiz-
The oldest had his tonsils removed by Dr. Chambers (301-475-1692). He's a frumpy little dude but did a good job. Quick recovery and no problems. Boy was 8 at the time. Good luck!

:yay: Dr. Chambers is an excellent doctor! A little "different"... He is outstanding with children - he talks to them on their level. He did tubes for my son twice. He also took a blemish off of the ex-BF's face. Did a GREAT job and gave him a very low price because he had no insurance...

bresamil

wandering aimlessly
Kizzy said:
Thanks Bre,

Where is Dr. Chambers located?
They'll have you meet him at the Bean Bldg on 235 between Hollywood and California. He'll give you an option on outpatient hospitals - Leonardtown or Calvert.

Chasey_Lane

Salt Life
Kizzy said:

I have heard just as many good stories as bad stories with Dr. Garro in Waldorf. Many have seemed to focus on Dr. Garro's bedside manner, and frankly, if that is the only grip, I can deal with that just as long as he is a good doctor and performs well.

It appears my 9 year old is going to have to have some surgery. We have been battling strep for nearly 7 months. It is believed that my son carries the strep on the back of his tonsils and no sooner do we finish an antibiotic, the strep reappears. The choice to have the tonsils removed has been left up to us, but when a child carries strep, it tears down his immune system, makes them tired, so I don't think we have a choice here, the antibiotics are not effective.

Send a PM to fddog. His g/f works for one.

Railroad

Routinely Derailed
Kizzy said:

Garro is NOT a good doctor. He pretty much made it impossible to do reconstructive surgery on my wife's ear. Dr. Chambers, however, is an excellent doctor who did extensive surgery on my sinuses last year. I trust him with my life, and I'm not sure I could give you a higher recommendation.

Railroad

Routinely Derailed
bresamil said:
They'll have you meet him at the Bean Bldg on 235 between Hollywood and California. He'll give you an option on outpatient hospitals - Leonardtown or Calvert.
Dr. Chambers has a Leonardtown location and a Calvert location.

Edford O. Chambers, M.D.
St. Mary's Medical Arts Bldg.
22650 Cedar Lane Ct.
Leonardtown, MD 20650

Solomons Medical Center
14090 Solomons Isl. Rd. #1200
Solomons, MD 20688

Telephone (301) 475-1692 or (410) 326-8410

I don't recommend anyone else!

hereforgood

Kizzy said:

We used Dr Rhodes (mizerny). She has done my daughter's tubes and tonsils/adnoids. She has offices in Solomons and Prince Frederick.

Good luck to you!

K

Kizzy

:howdy:

Thanks for the recommendations. We are going to see Chambers.

It seriously looks as if both my children will end up having their tonsils/adnoids removed. Our pediatrician called just a little bit ago and the latest test results are positive AGAIN. Both are back on penicillin again. We are really trying to hold off any surgery until school is out, since we are so close to the end of the year. This is so frustrating, because we give the medication on time, never miss a dose and neither can seem to get rid of it. My youngest never has any symptoms either, and we’ve only tested him because the other one seems to keep testing positive. The oldest one gets a slight sore throat, and he has just tested positive for Mono. <------ very common when you’ve had strep too long.

We go in the 31st. And if it ends up that both are going to have to go in, we hope they will just do it at the same time and get it over with. :bawl:

Misery times two.

jwwb2000

pretty black roses
Kizzy said:
:howdy:

Thanks for the recommendations. We are going to see Chambers.

It seriously looks as if both my children will end up having their tonsils/adnoids removed. Our pediatrician called just a little bit ago and the latest test results are positive AGAIN. Both are back on penicillin again. We are really trying to hold off any surgery until school is out, since we are so close to the end of the year. This is so frustrating, because we give the medication on time, never miss a dose and neither can seem to get rid of it. My youngest never has any symptoms either, and we’ve only tested him because the other one seems to keep testing positive. The oldest one gets a slight sore throat, and he has just tested positive for Mono. <------ very common when you’ve had strep too long.

We go in the 31st. And if it ends up that both are going to have to go in, we hope they will just do it at the same time and get it over with. :bawl:

Misery times two.

Just remember....not too much ice cream. It tends not to be as comforting as fruit flavored popsicles! Have plenty of jello, soup (not too hot though), mashed taters, mac and cheese, ect. They will do just fine. Knowing your two, they will be wanting to go outside and play within two days of having the surgery. I remember having mine out all too well!