Cleaning an Antique trunk

Ponytail

I have an antique trunk that is in near perfect condition, just horribly dirty. All of the leather strapping is in tact and all of the metal clasps and hinges are near perfect. But the wood is in pretty bad shap with years and years of dust and crud.

What can I use to clean it that won't harm the wood or leather? I don't want to use anything that may take that crud and soak into the wood, ya know?

morganj614

Ponytail said:
I have an antique trunk that is in near perfect condition, just horribly dirty. All of the leather strapping is in tact and all of the metal clasps and hinges are near perfect. But the wood is in pretty bad shap with years and years of dust and crud.

What can I use to clean it that won't harm the wood or leather? I don't want to use anything that may take that crud and soak into the wood, ya know?

I have a trunk that is my coffee table and all the wood and hinges are great. The leather handles are not. I have had this thing forever and knew I was going to keep it. I used steel wool and tried to get most of the crud off. I did put a light coat of sealer on it, maybe poly...it's been so long I don't really remember. After 20 something years in my care it is still my coffee table. Keep it, they are great to have.

Pete

Repete
First it was the tooty fruity coffe flavors, then it was interior decorating, then a Taurus, followed by a fruit and nut salad and now we are going to all crowd around the TV and watch you dragging that trunk on Antiques Road Show aren't we?

:otter:

Last edited:

sleuth

Livin' Like Thanksgivin'
Ponytail said:

Pledge? Endust? :confused:

Ponytail

sleuth said:
Pledge? Endust? :confused:
You don't use those on bare wood. True antique trunks are not finished. At most, they were stained but they are not finished at least, not ones that are still around. And that was verified by the website that Catt posted.

Ponytail

Pete said:
First it was the tooty fruity coffe flavors, then it was interior decorating, then a Taurus, followed by a fruit and nut salad and now we are going to all crowd around the TV and watch you dragging that trunk on Antiques Road Show aren't we?

:otter:

No, no antique road show for me. I just like the trunk for it's character. I really don't care if its worth anything or not. I just think that it could be a nice piece. I also obtained a BEAUTIFUL antique Buffet. The only reason that I took it (from my aunt's estate) is cuz no one else wanted it and I liked it. I let every one else take what they wanted first, cuz I didn'twant to get into a one of those family pushing matches. After I had said that I'd take it, which was long after everyone else took out what they wanted, an uncle of mine had it appraised along with everything else in the house. Once he found out that it was worth something, he decided that he wanted it. Needless to say, he didn't get it.

Again, I have it because I think it is a nice piece that just adds character.