Crystal Grottoes Caverns

Elle

Happy Camper!
vraiblonde said:
Of course. It's about 15 miles from my house. What do you want to know?
How much is admission and is it a decent place to visit? We are going to be camping at the Jellystone park in a couple of months and just looking for things in that area that may be of interest. Do you have any suggestions:shrug:

wmburdette

9/11 - Never Forget!
Elle said:
How much is admission and is it a decent place to visit? We are going to be camping at the Jellystone park in a couple of months and just looking for things in that area that may be of interest. Do you have any suggestions:shrug:

For what it's worth, here's a link that has a phone number and a printable coupon for $1.00 off for each admission: http://www.goodearthgraphics.com/showcave/md/crystal.html. I haven't been to the Crystal Grottoes yet but we have visited almost all of the caverns located along the Shenandoah Valley. On the whole they are great places to visit with or without kids. If they're too young then you may have a bit of a problem due to the usual walking distance involved with any of the show caves. Hope this helps a bit.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Elle said:
How much is admission and is it a decent place to visit? We are going to be camping at the Jellystone park in a couple of months and just looking for things in that area that may be of interest. Do you have any suggestions
It's like $8 or $10 to get in for adults and I want to say $5 for kids. The tour takes about an hour and it is VERY cool! At one point in the tour, they shut out the guide lights for a few seconds so you can feel what pure absence of light is. It's not scary at all, though - and I'm terrified of the dark. I'd definitely recommend it.

You could also check out Harper's Ferry - probably an hour drive from your campground. That's a great day trip and the kids will enjoy it. It's a fun place to explore and there's a John Brown diorama thingy that is hysterical without meaning to be. :lol:

Also down by Harper's Ferry there's a company that does whitewater rafting trips, but I can't think of the name of it.

If the Hagerstown Suns are in town, you can catch a ballgame.

There used to be an amusement center with games, go-kart track, putt-putt and like that in Boonesboro. Not sure if it's still there or not but it would only be about 15 minutes from your campground.

If you have any interest in Civil War history, you're definitely in the right place because there are several battlefields in the area.

There's a zoo in Thurmont - half hour from your campground - that looks cheesy on the outside but is very cool. It's called Catoctin Zoo and Wildlife Preserve.

Elle

Happy Camper!
vraiblonde said:
It's like $8 or $10 to get in for adults and I want to say $5 for kids. The tour takes about an hour and it is VERY cool! At one point in the tour, they shut out the guide lights for a few seconds so you can feel what pure absence of light is. It's not scary at all, though - and I'm terrified of the dark. I'd definitely recommend it.
Thanks! We've done Luray before and we all enjoyed it so I'm sure we'll like this one too. Just wanted to make sure it was worth a visit, some touristy things are just not worth the time.

vraiblonde said:
Also down by Harper's Ferry there's a company that does whitewater rafting trips, but I can't think of the name of it.
This may warrant a whole trip on its own.

vraiblonde said:
There's a zoo in Thurmont - half hour from your campground - that looks cheesy on the outside but is very cool. It's called Catoctin Zoo and Wildlife Preserve.
We are planning on visiting here when we go to Cunningham Falls in August, glad to hear we should enjoy it. Thanks for all the suggestions

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Elle said:
Thanks! We've done Luray before and we all enjoyed it so I'm sure we'll like this one too. Just wanted to make sure it was worth a visit, some touristy things are just not worth the time.
If you liked Luray, you'll like this one. I thought it was going to be some cheesy little hole in the ground but it's pretty awesome. :yay:

Larry Gude

Strung Out
I disagree...

vraiblonde said:
If you liked Luray, you'll like this one. I thought it was going to be some cheesy little hole in the ground but it's pretty awesome. :yay:

Luray is a MUCH bigger deal than Crystal.

But I do agree Crystal was worth the visit.