Life Insurance not being paid for Dale Earnhardt

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
That's bullshit. They don't start sending invoices until you've been approved. You apply for the insurance, they do blood tests and what-have-you, then they approve or deny you, THEN you're expected pay your premiums.

So great - this insurance company just gave itself some REALLY bad publicity and I'm confident that Ernhardt's estate will, in fact, get that insurance payout. Have fun finding a new job, boys.

mrweb

Iron City
BuddyLee said:
Why hasn't somebody *coughpoliticianscough* cracked down on these insurance companies?

They are all regulated at the state level. Therefore, it would be the individual state elected politicians who have the responsibility for overseeing the actions of the insurance companies operating in their state.

AndyMarquisLIVE

The problem here is that he did not take the physical because he was in Daytona Beach. Richard Childress agreed that they would take that physical after Dale came back from the Daytona 500. That, sadly, was not to happen. Dale of course died on the last lap of the Daytona 500. The question here is did they agree to start the insurance policy immedaetly or would that not take effect until after the Daytona 500? This is one of the tougher ones in my opinion, but Richard Childress Racing, Inc. will prevail.

Speaking of RCR: GO KEVIN HARVICK - GET 'EM SUNDAY IN THAT GM GOODWRENCH QUICKSILVER #29 CHEVY!!!!

K

Kain99

Not to be a meamie but... Live by the sword, die by the sword. He lived like he had a death wish.

I'm not really sure they should pay. :ohwell:

cattitude

My Sweetest Boy
Kain99 said:
Not to be a meamie but... Live by the sword, die by the sword. He lived like he had a death wish.

I'm not really sure they should pay. :ohwell:

It's not like they didn't know what his occupation was. Gimme a break. You pay your premium based on your friggin job.

K

Kain99

cattitude said:
It's not like they didn't know what his occupation was. Gimme a break. You pay your premium based on your friggin job.
Sorry Catt... Not always. I am pretty sure, the guy would have been in hock up to his neck if his job was considered.

He drove himself into a wall. Horrifying really ...but people do that crap.

cattitude

My Sweetest Boy
They HAVE to consider your job Kain...that's THEIR job. I was married to a firefighter...they premiums are high...while not the most dangerous job...and neither is a cop. Both jobs are not considered as dangerous as others. There is no way they didn't consider Earnhardt's job. And he didn't drive himself into a wall...

AndyMarquisLIVE

Earnhardt never meant to hurt anyone. Sure, he drove aggresively but that's why people liked him. Earnhardt is the reason NASCAR is as big as it is today. Earnhardt could talk the talk and walk the walk (and drive the drive for that matter). It came to be a fashion statement, his black and white number 3 Chevrolet. It was something so fearful to a driver when that car came up on their mirror, they knew it was time to move or be moved. That's why the fans loved him.

I've seen the wreck that killed him, sadly time and time over again thanks to CNN and MSNBC even to this day airing it. He died trying to protect the 15 of Michael Waltrip from Sterling Marlin so Waltrip could get his first career win. The saddest part was watching Darrell Waltrip afterwards - he knew instantly. I cry every time they air it and it should be a reminder to those who watch these races just for the wrecks that these guys get into those cars with the chance that they aren't walking out at the end of the day.

Here are some other incidents that have happened since:
Blaise Alexander lost his life in a 2001 ARCA Race at the Lowe's Motor Speedway - he actually crossed the finish line on his roof in first place but died shortly after. The win was credited to Kerry Earnhardt.

Dale Earnhardt, Jr. and Kevin Harvick in California in 2002 - Kevin Harvick cut a tire and tried to cut to pit road and Dale Jr runs right into him. Junior admitted some few months later that he suffered a concusion.

Sterling Marlin at the Kansas Speedway - Sterling appeared to have the championship all but wrapped up when a terrifying crash at the Kansas Speedway ended his bid for the championship.

ARCA CARNAGE AT DAYTONA: Earlier this year after a big wreck in the closing laps of an ARCA race at Daytona, 13 drivers had to be hospitalized after absolute hell broke loose on the backstretch.

Jerry Nadeau still has not returned to racing after a hard 2003 crash at the Richmond International Raceway. Joe Nemecheck replaced him in 2004.

K

Kizzy

OH NO :yikes:

Not this shiat again...

I mean a show... :popcorn:

Attachments

• AV bugswalk.gif
    AV bugswalk.gif
    21.4 KB · Views: 97

crabcake

But wait, there's more...
Kain99 said:
Sorry Catt... Not always. I am pretty sure, the guy would have been in hock up to his neck if his job was considered.

He drove himself into a wall. Horrifying really ...but people do that crap.
from the quoted article
The next day, the race team received a second invoice - dated two days before the crash - for another $5,000 payment toward the annual $21,645 premium.
I doubt his premiums would have been that high if he was an accountant. :ohwell: Also, Big E didn't have to make the payments:

Richard Childress Racing took out the policy on Earnhardt's behalf and made a $5,000 payment in January 2001. ...
The $3.7 million was part of a $7.2 million benefits package, according to the driver's contract. A $3.5 million policy with a second insurer, set up in 1996, was paid to Childress and signed over to Earnhardt's widow, Teresa.
Even risk-takers have insurance options, and they typically pay higher premiums for those policies ... thus the $20K+ annual premium mentioned above.

They've been talking about his case for a week down here. My feeling is -- if they cashed the check, they should pay. Otherwise, they should have put them in his file until after the physical was completed and the policy "approved".