Garden Pests -- Rabbits and Deer

SamSpade

I came back from vacation only to find that all of my broccoli plants were eaten down to the roots - and chased a rabbit out of my garden while doing that.

I was relieved to find that none of my other plants appear to have been harmed, but I realize now I'm going to have to keep pests out if the plants are to survive at all.

A garden fence might be too expensive, especially if it doesn't do any good.

Do repellents work? What's a good defense against rabbits and deer? *Killing* them won't be enough - for every one I get, more will come. I have to *stop* them. Does bone tar stop deer?

Agee

Recently took a friends suggestion, and purchased "Liquid Fence" from the Greenery. Contains garlic and rotten egg extract. Suppose to be effective against Deer and Rabbits.

So far, so good. Has kept the deer away from my Roses.

SamSpade

Airgasm said:
Recently took a friends suggestion, and purchased "Liquid Fence" from the Greenery. Contains garlic and rotten egg extract. Suppose to be effective against Deer and Rabbits.

So far, so good. Has kept the deer away from my Roses.
That's great! I live about a mile and a half from the Greenery, and I bought a lot of my plants from them.

I have a book that claims that marigolds will work, though I haven't the funds to plant enough marigolds to stop them. Still, they'd make an attractive border. I used to have this marigold seed that came in a box like laundry detergent - *thousands* of seeds. They grew like weeds. I have no idea how to get that stuff anymore.

AnniesDad

By the sea
SamSpade said:
I have a book that claims that marigolds will work, though I haven't the funds to plant enough marigolds to stop them. Still, they'd make an attractive border. I used to have this marigold seed that came in a box like laundry detergent - *thousands* of seeds. They grew like weeds. I have no idea how to get that stuff anymore.

We tried marigolds this year in an attempt to stop the deer from eating our plants. For weeks it seemed to be working, but sometime Friday night the marigolds were trampled in their haste to eat the hostas. :ohwell:

jazz lady

~*~ Rara Avis ~*~
PREMO Member
SamSpade said:
I have a book that claims that marigolds will work, though I haven't the funds to plant enough marigolds to stop them.
Marigolds do NOT stop deer. They're good for companion planting to help keep bugs off other plants like tomatoes, but deer will go right through them to get to whatever they want. If you want lots of marigold seeds, collect your own. Buy some marigolds and collect the spent blooms in paper bags. Let them dry for several weeks, then crush open the spent blossoms to release the seeds and store them in an air-tight container.

I've used similar stuff like Airgasm posted and it worked well. The only problem is it doesn't last long, has to be reapplied often and you get the added bonus of smelling it before, during, and after applying it. :twitch: But I love it because it's non-toxic :clap: and would rather use that and have to keep applying it then use some of the nasty chemicals that can cause more harm than good.

So far the deer have left my plants alone, including my one lone rose bush which is blooming in all its glory. :yay:

Hessian

I have always been pleased using my model 1763 Flintlock musket with 120 grains of FFF behind used pellets and rock salt.

For a heavier load I'd recommend the Brown Bess Long Pattern cut down to fit the Carbine Calvary pattern (75 caliber is a decent load)...I doubt you need the bayonet unless you prefer the hand to hoof combat.

xusnret

Two very different problems, what takes care of one usually doesn't work on the other. For the rabbits I planted several large areas up close to the garden of New Zealand white clover they seem to prefer to stay in these patches and munch away instead of moving out in the open area of the garden. For the deer I set an old radio in a covered box tuned to WTOP talk radio, the constant bs'n chatter seem to keep the deer away. Its worked for the past 4-5 years on the deer, I see there tracks on the path coming up the hill but they won't go all the way up into the garden clearing.

EmnJoe

nunya bidnis
Hessian said:
I have always been pleased using my model 1763 Flintlock musket with 120 grains of FFF behind used pellets and rock salt.

For a heavier load I'd recommend the Brown Bess Long Pattern cut down to fit the Carbine Calvary pattern (75 caliber is a decent load)...I doubt you need the bayonet unless you prefer the hand to hoof combat.
:lmao:

Agee

xusnret said:
Two very different problems, what takes care of one usually doesn't work on the other. For the rabbits I planted several large areas up close to the garden of New Zealand white clover they seem to prefer to stay in these patches and munch away instead of moving out in the open area of the garden. For the deer I set an old radio in a covered box tuned to WTOP talk radio, the constant bs'n chatter seem to keep the deer away. Its worked for the past 4-5 years on the deer, I see there tracks on the path coming up the hill but they won't go all the way up into the garden clearing.
Great Ideas!

As a back-up, I'm going to try the old radio trick and keep it tuned to 98.3, with He-Bone and Teather :yay:

PJay

Milorganite works well in keeping the deer from munching, but causes stomping. I never knew they had a temper.

Last edited:

Sharon

Staff member
PREMO Member
We haven't had a problem in 3 years, since we added 3 strands of barbed wire up over the 3' wire fence around our veggie garden. It stopped the 2-legged thiefs as well as the deer. The deer are still around, they just moved onto a garden that's easier to get into. I've seen them jump 4' fences, and they'll also "lean into" them in an effort to smash them down.

C

czygvtwkr

The easiest and most effective solution is a dog.

Deer eat my moms marigolds. The nursery told her put out dial soap, they ate it.

You could buy some coyote urine online and spread it around, I heard that works. I don't know how they get the coyote to pee in the bottle though.

SamSpade

Well the damned bastages came back. I figured the cauliflower and broccoli were a lost cause anyway, since I half expected they wouldn't survive at all. But this weekend really p!ssed me off - within 24 hours, virtually ALL my leaf lettuce was destroyed, some of them completely ripped out of the ground. It bothers me a little more than the rest, because unlike the other plants, I grew these VERY carefully from seed to seedlings and transplanted them into the garden a month ago. Only Saturday afternoon, I was planning on my first batch of lettuce for Sunday dinner. Alas, they were some damned varmint's Saturday midnight snack. They wiped out what was left of the peas as well. Some varmint has also desptryed the sunflowers, leaving just the squash, tomatoes and peppers. Once they're gone, three month's work will be wiped out.

Ok, I've tried the putrescent egg-shell thing - with very modest success. It appears the stuff doesn't last more than a couple weeks, tops.

My guess is, it's mostly rabbits, since I haven't seen deer tracks in the garden, although my wife has seen their droppings CLOSER to the house (like, at the side door).

I'm ready to spray again, and try different sound-generating deterrents, but I'm beginning to think this year's efforts may turn out to be little more than a lesson for next year, which may also include starting earlier, tilling more thoroughly and planning better. But I do need a better, long-term defense against animal pests.

Oz

You're all F'in Mad...
Put red pepper around your plants. Be liberal with the application. That will keep all kinds of pests out of your garden, away from your plants, and won't hurt anything.

SamSpade

Oz said:
Put red pepper around your plants. Be liberal with the application. That will keep all kinds of pests out of your garden, away from your plants, and won't hurt anything.
At this point, I'll try anything - except that a few of the suggestions - such as peeing, coyote urine and the spray I've been using - go away after the first good rain. If it rains during the night, it's astonishing how FAST these little bastages come in and feast away. You have to stay on your toes.

Feelin' a lot like ol' Farmer McGregor these days. It was so much easier when I just used containers and there weren't any bunnies or deer around - and when I just had BUGS to deal with.

Oz

You're all F'in Mad...
When whatever critter gets a hit of that pepper, they won't be back even after it rains! :yay:

jazz lady

~*~ Rara Avis ~*~
PREMO Member
Some ideas for repelling deer

One thing I've had great success with is using shade netting or floating row covers to keep all sorts of pests away including deer and rabbits. As long as you securely fasten it to the ground, they can't figure out how to get to your plants.

One thing to remember about using ground red pepper. It can be very effective, but the wind WILL blow it around and it WILL get into your eyes or those of your pets. A better alternative is to buy a ready-made spray like this or this or make your own mixing it with a special solution that helps it adhere to plant surfaces. I can't find the specific product right now, but I've gotten it from Wentworth's or mail order in the past.