Atypical Moles

D

Dixie

Anyone out there ever had a mole removed that came back atypical? I have lots of questions and the answers I'm getting from the nurse are confusing me further. In fact I'm beginning to believe this whole melanoma, mole removal, skin cancer thing is all guesswork. Anyone??

cattitude

My Sweetest Boy
Dixie said:
Anyone out there ever had a mole removed that came back atypical? I have lots of questions and the answers I'm getting from the nurse are confusing me further. In fact I'm beginning to believe this whole melanoma, mole removal, skin cancer thing is all guesswork. Anyone??

So that was the biopsy result? :shrug: I thought an atypical mole was one that was not actualy cancerous but had the ability to become that way. I had one removed many years ago and never had any problem.

Last edited:

BadGirl

I am so very blessed
I've had atypical moles removed. No biggie. The doctor performs a biopsy that helps to determine if further removal is necessary. What I mean by that is this: the original removal of the mole just takes the immediate area surrounding the mole. If the biopsy determines something suspicious, it will be necessary for the doctor to go back in and remove a little more tissue that surrounded the original mole. The intent is that you want to remove ALL of the suspicious tissue around the mole, but not take too much tissue that is not necessary to remove. No need to remove the good stuff, you know.

There are some wonderful web sites to investigate if you want further information. Like anything else, you will have to read through many sites and take from them the information that makes sense. Try going to the American Academy of Dermatology for more info. http://www.aad.org/default.htm

Good luck.

Last edited:
D

Dixie

cattitude said:
So that was the biopsy result? :shrug: I thought an atypical mole was one that was not actualy cancerous but had the ability to become that way. I had one removed many years ago and never had any problem.

I had an mole removed that was atypical and advised to have it excised further looking for clear borders. I did that and the results were again atypical. So I asked do I have more excised? I was told to keep an eye on it, if there were any changes to come back in and get it excised. I asked keep an eye on what? She says the mole. I said the mole was removed. She says well keep an eye on it. Me - Keep an eye on what- the mole that was removed? Her - Yes. Me banghead: I had melanoma in one mole so this in kinda antsy. And you know what really gets me? I went to a dermatologist she recommends I get one mole removed - the results are atypical so this made sense. But she doesn't say anything about the two other moles I opted to have removed and now an entirely different one is atypical so how come she never said better get those removed. And if a mole that I opted to have removed is atypical - are there others that are atypical? I swear I believe it's guesswork.

Joe'smom

Atypical Moles or Dysplastic Nevus are classified by a pathologist as follows;

Mild Dysplasia, Moderate Dysplasia and Severe Dysplasia

A positive margin in a mild dysplastic nevus is not something they would go back and ask to take more of. When you get to the moderate stage it is more likely the doc would remove more but if it is in a place where the excision line can be easily watched many times they will tell you to watch for reoccurance in the scar line. Severe Dysplasia in a mole is needing complete surgical removal and in fact the severity of the dysplasia may represent that of an early Melanoma (in situ) and there fore followup and treatment should be that of a thin melanoma -usually re-excision with a 5mm. margin. Anyone with dysplastic nevi should be seeing a derm atleast once a year or sooner if they notice a sudden change in a mole or mole that comes up out of nowhere.
There are many lesions that can look like dysplasia or melanoma and many in fact I believe the figure is 30% of dermatologists can be fooled by some of these lesions. The best bet is to find someone who is experienced and thorough and if you ask --they will give you a copy of your biopsy report or at least send it to your regular doctor. It is your body-YOU have the right to understand whats going on and sometimes you HAVE to be persistant.
Another good link beside the AAD is the Skin Cancer Foundation.org. They have an excellent brochure called the Many Faces of Melanoma which can be scary cause it makes you realize just how subtle these things can be and very deadly as well.

D

Dixie

Thanks - you sound far more competent than that nurse so I'm going to ask you more questions. I think what's really bothering me is that they excised more from the atypical mole just to make certain nothing went renegade and turned melanoma. So they found it was still atypical in the larger incision so how do they know that something from that didn't go crazy. And how do I know since atypical means it has the ability to go cancerous that it isn't going cancerous. The atypical started with the mole now that I have no mole I have no way of knowing if something has changed. I did get a written report and can understand why the nurse is so confused - the report is too. I think what I'm going to do is write down my questions and drop them off at the hospital so the doctor can mull them over next week and provide answers. He wasn't available this week and I don't want to spend the weekend feeling like I'm dying. Thanks for the advice - I think I sent you karma - not sure it's early. If I didn't you certainly deserve it.

Joe'smom

Thanks for the complements Dixie! I think it's most important for a patient to fully understand their problem and I make a point of making sure if someone feels the least bit uncomfortable or has a ton of questions that the doctor addresses it. Pathology reports can be very confusing and I don't blame you for pressing for more information. If you want the Grade A, # 1 east coast authority on Dysplastic Nevi or Melanoma you could go see Dr Gary Peck at Washington Cancer Institute "The Melanoma Center" at Washington Hospital Center. The phone # is 202-877-8204. He could also discuss your options about "Sentinel Node Biopsy" which is what they do to test for "escapes" as you termed it. If anybody can give you peace of mind-these folks can! Best of luck to you and try to NOT let it consume you -sometimes our minds do worse things to us than anything- I know that is much easier said than done though.

BadGirl

I am so very blessed
Joe'smom said:
Thanks for the complements Dixie! I think it's most important for a patient to fully understand their problem and I make a point of making sure if someone feels the least bit uncomfortable or has a ton of questions that the doctor addresses it. Pathology reports can be very confusing and I don't blame you for pressing for more information. If you want the Grade A, # 1 east coast authority on Dysplastic Nevi or Melanoma you could go see Dr Gary Peck at Washington Cancer Institute "The Melanoma Center" at Washington Hospital Center. The phone # is 202-877-8204. He could also discuss your options about "Sentinel Node Biopsy" which is what they do to test for "escapes" as you termed it. If anybody can give you peace of mind-these folks can! Best of luck to you and try to NOT let it consume you -sometimes our minds do worse things to us than anything- I know that is much easier said than done though.
:yay: Dr. Peck is my doctor, and I think he's been great. I also see Dr. Marc Boivert, and together, these doctors have been very helpful in monitoring the status of my skin cancer, and in ensuring that my melanoma has not returned. I'll be sad when Dr. Peck retires.