High-risk OBGYN

downindm

My finace and I are looking for a good OBGYN that deals with high-risk pregnancy. We lost our last at about 20 weeks. Also, things are complicated by the fact that she had a gastric bypass just 6 months prior to becoming pregnant this time around, and she has also been diagnosed with PCOS (although many of those symptoms have disappeared since the bypass).

Our current OB just has not impressed us - especially recently. We seem to be getting standard text-book answers and our concerns don't seem to matter much.

So, can anyone out there recommend an OB who is very good with high risk pregnancies, and also very easy to talk to and get answers from and who will listen to your concerns.

We would prefer someone who works out of Civista or St. Mary's Hospital - but really, making sure we get the best care and information possible is the most important factor.

Thanks in advance!

I went preterm @ 24 weeks in 2000 and lost our first son. I refused to go back to Civista and my OB. My current OB is a Godsend! Only problem for you is that he works out of Annapolis. The fact that he is an hour away wasn't enough to deter me. If you're interested ...

Chesapeake Women's Care
Medical Parkway, Annapolis Md - based out of Anne Arundel Medical Center.
410-571-9700

Dr. Penn is the doctor, but there about 6 in the group (women too if you don't like seeing men)

He just delivered my 3rd :biggrin:

jwwb2000

pretty black roses
Dr Netty/Dr Dickson in Waldorf
301-935-8580

They deliver in Southern Maryland Hospital in Clinton.

K

Katie

I was referred up to John Hopkins for high risk care. There are some wonderful doctor's up there. Because your fiance had gastric bypass she will have different health concerns then a normal pregnancy. If I was to actually have a baby I would go up there from the beginning.

http://www.hopkinsmedicine.org/

kom526

They call me ... Sarcasmo
CableChick said:
I went preterm @ 24 weeks in 2000 and lost our first son. I refused to go back to Civista and my OB. My current OB is a Godsend! Only problem for you is that he works out of Annapolis. The fact that he is an hour away wasn't enough to deter me. If you're interested ...

Chesapeake Women's Care
Medical Parkway, Annapolis Md - based out of Anne Arundel Medical Center.
410-571-9700

Dr. Penn is the doctor, but there about 6 in the group (women too if you don't like seeing men)

He just delivered my 3rd :biggrin:
:yeahthat: My son was delivered at AAMC and I can't say enough good things about them. AAMC has an NICU on site, I don't know if SMH Civista or Calvert do. I'm not bashing any of them but only speaking from the experience that we had. Good Luck!

jwwb2000

pretty black roses
kom526 said:
:yeahthat: My son was delivered at AAMC and I can't say enough good things about them. AAMC has an NICU on site, I don't know if SMH Civista or Calvert do. I'm not bashing any of them but only speaking from the experience that we had. Good Luck!

Southern Maryland DOES have a NICU nursery there! That is just one of the many reasons I went to the doctors I went to (Dickson/Nettey).....The two really do take care of you and do not take any chances....

K

Kizzy

jwwb2000 said:
Southern Maryland DOES have a NICU nursery there! That is just one of the many reasons I went to the doctors I went to (Dickson/Nettey).....The two really do take care of you and do not take any chances....

Right, they are a level #3 (highest level is a 4), most of the area local hospitals are level #2's.

Southern Maryland's NICU is fantastic. Our son was born 2 months early (30 weeks), and they were wonderful.

Down, are they going to do the Betamethozone shots?

downindm

Where can you find out what level a particular hospital (or part of - such as the NICU) is rated?

I've been looking at medical directories and certifications and have come across "Virgil Lee Graham" who practices in Upper Marlboro and I assume works out of SMH. This doctor is the only one in Southern Maryland that I've found so far that is listed as:

1) Fellow/a physician who is actively devoted to the practice of ob-gyn, has graduated from an acceptable medical school, and completed an ob-gyn residency within the geographic confines of the United States and is certified by the ABOG or other acceptable certifying organization. This person must have an active license to practice medicine, had continuous limitation of training and/or professional activities in obstetrics and gynecology for the five years immediately prior to applying for Fellowship in ACOG. (ACOG = American College of Obstetricians & Gynecologists, ABOG = American Board of Obstetrics and Gynecology)

2) Listed as certified with the American Board of Medical Specialties under the category of Maternal-Fetal Medicine (the subspecialty of high-risk pregnancy). This extra training and certification requires three years of training after a basic residency, and the passing of both a written and oral examination.

So, has anyone heard of or had Virgil as their OB? Or know of anyone else with these qualifications?

Thanks again to all who have replied. Kizzy - what are Betamethozone shots, we haven't even heard mention of them...

K

Kizzy

If it appears the baby is going to be early or there is that possibility, they will administer the shots (hormone shots) to increase lung development. I hemorrhaged at 24 - 25 weeks, and after Southern Maryland assessed our situation, we were transported to John Hopkins (level #4 hospitals). As soon as I met level #3 criteria, I came back to Southern Maryland Hospital at our request. I think highly of Southern Maryland’s NICU, and my husband and I know a good majority of the people there personally.

I understand that sometimes the doctor’s don’t seem too concerned, but Dr. Ali said that all they can do is monitor the situation. If a women is going to lose the baby, there isn’t a whole lot they can do but these shots, keep them on bed rest and hope for the best.

Don’t let her stress too much. Sometimes worrying about what “could happen” is the worse thing any of us can do. Keep positive thoughts that everything is going to work out.

K

Kizzy

BTW, my OBGYN was Dr. Kahn and Bushrod.

They have an office in Waldorf and next to Southern Maryland, but last I heard, he wasn't delivering babies anymore. :ohwell:

watercolor

yeah yeah
How far along is she? And you can have her suggest that she be put on metformin/gluecaphage to help detour the risk of miscarriage due to the pcos. Also make sure to have them check her p4 levels.. because it is very common for people who have pcos to have low p4 levels for the first 12 weeks before the placenta takes over.

jhawkfan01

Barb Estes/Ruby Alonzo - Calvert OB/GYN

(410) 535-5610

I rate them and 11 out of 10.

I rate them 1 out of ten! You want a good doctor, go to DC/Annapolis. Dr. Alonzo was terrible to me, and I waited every visit for over an hour to be called back