Home Remedies for Sunburn

sleuth

Livin' Like Thanksgivin'
Any suggestions to take the sting out?
I'm really uncomfortable from face down to my ankles... :bawl:

I've tried lotion and cocoa butter... each only seems to help for a few minutes...

sleuth

Livin' Like Thanksgivin'
cattitude said:
Don't have any of that.. will have to run to the store...
Do you mix it with bath water and soak in it?

I think someone told me once that tomato juice is good for something too, but for some reason I'm thinking that might be for chicken pox or poison ivy or something... :confused:

SmallTown

Football season!
lotion is the worst thing you can use. actually keeps the heat trapped in which is exactly what you don't want. lotion is good a few days after the burn to try and save the skin, but at the beginning it is a no no.

like cat said, vinegar is probably the most popular. Some claim that noxzema (sp?) is good if you apply it to the burned areas and don't wash it off. But considering you have a whole body burn, you would need a lot of that stuff!

cattitude

My Sweetest Boy
sleuth said:
Don't have any of that.. will have to run to the store...
Do you mix it with bath water and soak in it?

I think someone told me once that tomato juice is good for something too, but for some reason I'm thinking that might be for chicken pox or poison ivy or something... :confused:

I used to just "pat" the vinegar on my skin with paper towels. Tomato juice is for skunk smell.

Noxema, aloe gel, even solarcaine spray.

Why don't you just do a search online? Been so long since I had a sunburn, maybe something's changed.

Sharon

Staff member
PREMO Member
Forget the home remedies Sleuth and go get yourself some Hawaiian Tropic I.C.E. with Lidocaine or anything similar.

K

Kizzy

Sharon said:
Forget the home remedies Sleuth and go get yourself some Hawaiian Tropic I.C.E. with Lidocaine or anything similar.

:yeahthat: After spending so much time in the derm's office, I did find out that sometimes you can prevent many sun spots and just overall sun damage just by the way you nurse a sunburn. I would trust a "product" made for sunburns knowing what I know now, but you can use vinager in the meantime if you had some. Since you are already making a trip to the store, might as well get the good stuff.