What do I do?

marianne

Three or four kittens arrived on my deck this morning. Don't know how they got there. Apparently, the cat I've caught glimpses of at night in the neighborhood probably doesn't have a home. I'm not a cat person and my Rottie REALLY doesn't like cats. I have to contain him at the moment. Do I call animal control? What do I do? Help!

aps45819

24/7 Single Dad
marianne said:
Three or four kittens arrived on my deck this morning. Don't know how they got there. Apparently, the cat I've caught glimpses of at night in the neighborhood probably doesn't have a home. I'm not a cat person and my Rottie REALLY doesn't like cats. I have to contain him at the moment. Do I call animal control? What do I do? Help!
Stop containing the rottie :yay:

cattitude

My Sweetest Boy
marianne said:

How old are they? Where are you located?

marianne

cattitude said:
How old are they? Where are you located?

I don't know how to tell their age. They are little, maybe 6" long. Black & white. We're located just outside of La Plata.

SpecV

marianne said:

Call the Calvert County Humane Society.

cattitude

My Sweetest Boy
marianne said:
I don't know how to tell their age. They are little, maybe 6" long. Black & white. We're located just outside of La Plata.

Are their ears perked up...on top of their head...or are they more to the side and sort of soft looking? Are they active?

I wouldn't call Animal Control, I'd call the humane society.

http://www.humanesocietycc.org/

http://www.calvertcountyhumanesociety.org/

If they are baby-babies, you can put them in a box and keep them away from your Rottie until you can get them to a rescue group. If they're really young, I can help you but not until tonight. If they are of a viable age and seem frisky, call the humane society. BUT, it is kitten season and a lot of places may not be able to take them. Let me know.

virgovictoria

Tight Pants and Lipstick
PREMO Member
One of my Malamutes took out her little toy kitten with her to go potty this morning (got it for her as a toy to see what she would do)... She drops it about two feet from where she does her deed, then carefully picks it back up and trots back in the house with her "kitty baby" in her mouth.

I don't think a living kitten would fare so well... :ohwell:

Good Luck!

marianne

cattitude said:
Are their ears perked up...on top of their head...or are they more to the side and sort of soft looking? Are they active?

I wouldn't call Animal Control, I'd call the humane society.

http://www.humanesocietycc.org/

http://www.calvertcountyhumanesociety.org/

If they are baby-babies, you can put them in a box and keep them away from your Rottie until you can get them to a rescue group. If they're really young, I can help you but not until tonight. If they are of a viable age and seem frisky, call the humane society. BUT, it is kitten season and a lot of places may not be able to take them. Let me know.

Thank you! As you can tell I don't know a thing about cats. They do seem to be of viable age - not baby babies - and fairly frisky (it's hard to tell because they keep hiding). I called the humane society but they don't open until 11. From Googling, it seems I'm supposed to get a hold of the mom as well so she can be spayed. So for now we're just putting out some food and water and waiting to hear back from the cc humane society.

marianne

virgovictoria said:
She drops it about two feet from where she does her deed, then carefully picks it back up and trots back in the house with her "kitty baby" in her mouth.

I don't think a living kitten would fare so well... :ohwell:

That's kind of adorable!

Whenever our rott sees a cat, he goes tearing out after it. Lucky for the cats the rott is pretty much a small bear - big & slow - they've always been able to get away. I have no idea what he would actually do if he caught up with a cat and don't want to find out.
Other than that, the dog really is friendly.

marianne

Hi Catt!

We put out some food & water for the kitties yesterday morning because we felt bad for them especially in the heat. Looking back, maybe that was a mistake. They ate a little and drank some.

I couldn't get a hold of the Humane Society until about 3PM yesterday and by that time the kitties had gone. I don't think they went far but we didn't find them. The Society said they would take them and try to find homes if I brought them in. What I've read on the 'net is that I'm suppose to bring in the mom as well so she could be spayed. The HS said I could rent cat traps (don't know what those are or how they work) but they didn't have any available at the moment.

I guess the cat(s) came back from time to time yesterday evening (maybe looking for more food) because every couple hours the dog would go looney - jumping on top of tables trying to get closer to the windows. I'd look outside to see if I could get a hold of them but only caught a glimpse of the mom once and she wouldn't come near me.

In the meantime, we let the dog out to "do his business" only when we're fairly certain the cats are not nearby. When he does get out, he tracks the cats and finds were they were. :elaine: DH doesn't think the dog would do anything if he caught up to the cats but I'm not certain.

mAlice

professional daydreamer
Rent a trap? You have to catch them? I'd be calling someone else. No way would I mess with wild animals that may have rabies.

cattitude

My Sweetest Boy
marianne said:
We put out some food & water for the kitties yesterday morning because we felt bad for them especially in the heat. Looking back, maybe that was a mistake. They ate a little and drank some.

I couldn't get a hold of the Humane Society until about 3PM yesterday and by that time the kitties had gone. I don't think they went far but we didn't find them. The Society said they would take them and try to find homes if I brought them in. What I've read on the 'net is that I'm suppose to bring in the mom as well so she could be spayed. The HS said I could rent cat traps (don't know what those are or how they work) but they didn't have any available at the moment.

I guess the cat(s) came back from time to time yesterday evening (maybe looking for more food) because every couple hours the dog would go looney - jumping on top of tables trying to get closer to the windows. I'd look outside to see if I could get a hold of them but only caught a glimpse of the mom once and she wouldn't come near me.

In the meantime, we let the dog out to "do his business" only when we're fairly certain the cats are not nearby. When he does get out, he tracks the cats and finds were they were. :elaine: DH doesn't think the dog would do anything if he caught up to the cats but I'm not certain.

You can keep feeding them and you will be able to catch them eventually, but a trap is the best bet. They have humane traps that work easily and won't hurt the little guys. Which organization did you talk to?