Geothermal heat system?

happyappygirl

Rocky Mountain High!!
Anyone local have any info? Average price for a 3 ton system? Are they efficient here? worth the aditional $$? Who does them?
TIA!

Fred Hoeck

We have had one in Chestnut Ridge for 10 years, no problems with geothermal part, but heat pump itself has needed repair/replacement. A split system, both compressors went bad, and one air handler had leak. Works great, comfort level much better than air source heat pump, like fossil fuel. Have approx. 3000 sg ft house, total electric bill now, (with rate increase) aveages $125. Also use it to heat hot water for effectively no cost. Closed loop system. I reccomend it. Just make sure you get reputable contractor and good equipment to start. Our system was one of three put in by well company. New equipment much better. Had air source in old house here and was always cold in winter and for a much smaller house had same electric bill.

fttrsbeerwench

Have you ever checked out the online edition of Mother Earth News magazine??
There are always new alternative heating methods in there. I have been reading it for a few years... I offers a ton of cool stuff on ecological living...

www.motherearthnews.com

happyappygirl

Rocky Mountain High!!
Okay, Tonio says "From what I've heard, it's not about whether you're a native or newcomer. It's whether you've hired an engineer who understands the Byzantine planning regulations. That's why it seems like the big developers get a wink and a nod--their livelihood depends on being able to work with (or sometimes around) the planning regs."

Who does them? Any cost ideas? I've read from 7500-20,000+. the cost doesn't scare me, as much as not being happy with the results...we have a log cabin, built by hand (little over 3500 sq ft) and all wood walls, so putting in duct work will be a challenge I think. We'll prolly bury the stuff in the horse field to that's not an issue. We also have the pellet and wood stoves, for alternative heat if it's not warm enough. Is cooling the same cost as with a heat pump? :shocking: that would SUCK. Heat pumps are expensive to cool with.

DoWhat

Deplorable
PREMO Member
happyappygirl said:
7500-20,000+. the cost doesn't scare me, we have a log cabin, built by hand (little over 3500 sq ft)
How many degrees do you have?