Drift Anchor

D

dems4me

I will more than likely be using my drift anchor I bought this weekend for running a trot line because the boat is too powerful and can not idle at slow speeds as would be needed for running a trot line. I have a trolling motor from another boat but that wouldn't fit on this boat, so next best thing is a drift anchor to physically reduce the speed of the boat. My question is... does this burn more gas, does it put a strain on the engine? To me its like trying to drive with an anchor or something down at the same time and it would strain the engine. Would this harm the boat motor or any problems I shoudl be aware of other than getting it twisted around the prop. when stopping?

D

dems4me

Jameo said:
most people would just tie off a 5 gallon bucket :ohwell:

I already bought a drift ancor though.. it looks like a big cone and is made with a heavy vynlyl type fabric and has a harness and strings.... would this strain the motor ??? :shrug:

Jameo

What?!
dems4me said:
I already bought a drift ancor though.. it looks like a big cone and is made with a heavy vynlyl type fabric and has a harness and strings.... would this strain the motor ??? :shrug:

Why can I picture you dragging this big ass parachute looking thing behind your boat? :killingme :lmao:

Sorry, I'm not sure about the strain. I would imagine, probably not.

D

dems4me

Jameo said:
Why can I picture you dragging this big ass parachute looking thing behind your boat? :killingme :lmao:

Sorry, I'm not sure about the strain. I would imagine, probably not.

:ohwell: I'll probably dragging a few logs and stuff in it... a huge wake behind me from all the crap its caught though... :lol:

kingvjack

It wont put any strain on the engine. Most people drift when using a drift sock and if you want to troll with your big ass engine your better off just buying a kicker motor.
Its illegal to be under your own power and drag anything like logs and crap behind your boat too.
Plus if your engine is that big you probably will rip that brand new drift sock.

D

dems4me

kingvjack said:
It wont put any strain on the engine. Most people drift when using a drift sock and if you want to troll with your big ass engine your better off just buying a kicker motor.
Its illegal to be under your own power and drag anything like logs and crap behind your boat too.
Plus if your engine is that big you probably will rip that brand new drift sock.

not big at all... its an old 1974 84 hp evinrude.... (it's a classic!:biggrin:) just doesn't do slow speeds slow enough for running a trot line :shrug: BTW, that's what I meant... a drift sock!! what I got !!!! :dance: should I have gotten two to balance out the pull on the boat... will I just go round and round in a circle giving the boat gas with only one side of the boat anchored?

kingvjack

dems4me said:
not big at all... its an old 1974 84 hp evinrude.... (it's a classic!:biggrin:) just doesn't do slow speeds slow enough for running a trot line :shrug: BTW, that's what I meant... a drift sock!! what I got !!!! :dance: should I have gotten two to balance out the pull on the boat... will I just go round and round in a circle giving the boat gas with only one side of the boat anchored?
Are you retarded...?

All your gonna do is ruin your stuff. Buy a smaller kicker engine and use it.

D

dems4me

kingvjack said:
Are you retarded...?

No.. not yet, -- do you want me to be :shrug:

I don't have a smaller kicker engine and have no clue how to assemble one or put one on the boat. The guy at boaters world suggested a drift/sock anchor.... why spend the money on a kicker engine when all I need is a drift/sock anchor... will one suffice? what is it going to ruin? I was kidding about dragging trees and crap in the anchor behind me :ohwell:

kingvjack

dems4me said:
kingvjack said:
Are you retarded...?

No.. not yet, -- do you want me to be :shrug:

I don't have a smaller kicker engine and have no clue how to assemble one or put one on the boat. The guy at boaters world suggested a drift/sock anchor.... why spend the money on a kicker engine when all I need is a drift/sock anchor... will one suffice? what is it going to ruin? I was kidding about dragging trees and crap in the anchor behind me :ohwell:
Sure hes gonna tell you that.
The constant pull from your engine will tear that sock up. There is no assembly for a kicker engine. You just go buy one and drop it next to your bigger one.
Its either that or sell the classic and get something functional.