New Goldfish Owner

Tinkerbell

Baby blues
I got my daughter a fantail goldfish. She loves him - he's cute. But, as I knew before I bought it, goldfish are dirty fish. I have a pump to help, and one little algae eater fishy (not the black sucker fish kind - a little skinny orange/yellow minnow looking thing), but does anyone have any other tips?

Also, can Parrotfish live with goldfish? I love parrotfish!

ocean733

I won a goldfish at a carnival when I was little. I fed my fish and he ate it all so I figured that he must just be really hungry. :confused: Didn't know that fish, if given the chance, will continue to eat until they die (at least my mom is stickin' to that story).

HorseQueen

Help

Here are a couple different things you may want to try.

1. Feed your fish only a SMALL pinch of food each day.
2. Clean about half the water each week or two.
3. Keep a filter going and change the filter when needed.
4. The black algae eaters grow bigger but are the best I found.
5. If you would want to take the risk of getting a bunch of snails get a snail. They are great at keeping the tank clean but they triple and double and triple like crazy.

Dougstermd

ORGASM DONOR
I also would suggest getting a filter that is like a 15/20 for a 10 gallon tank. G fish are great my son won one at the carnival 5 years ago its huge now, he one another 2 years ago and he is gettin purdy big also. They need a bigger tank. they are in a 35gal now. I got a bigger tank from Mystical mom but the bebbes momma refused to let the boy have a bigger tank 70 gal i think it was:shrug:

BadGirl

I am so very blessed
Tinkerbell said:
I got my daughter a fantail goldfish. She loves him - he's cute. But, as I knew before I bought it, goldfish are dirty fish. I have a pump to help, and one little algae eater fishy (not the black sucker fish kind - a little skinny orange/yellow minnow looking thing), but does anyone have any other tips?

Also, can Parrotfish live with goldfish? I love parrotfish!

Parrot fish are marine (salt water) fish, unles you mean the blood parrot... which is a cichlid hybrid of the Green Severum and the Red Devil.. these are farily agressive and are African Cichlids.. Your fantail would lose it's tail fairly quickly.

And Plecostamus (Plecos) are very durable and long living algae eates.. they can survive in almost any kind of tank, and will actually grow to reflect the size of tank they are in.

OOH, this is Bob..

I really wish she'd bring the red pantied butt av.. really made it worthwhile to post as her..

Last edited: