Smoked Bluefish

fishinfool

Among other things
I was driving by a seafood store yesterday and saw a sign for smoked Bluefish. Has anyone tried it or smoked any themselves? Before you make a joke, I already tried it in a pipe and it wouldn't stay lit...lol.

Done both. Stoneys has a great appetizer and I've smoked my own. (I recommend Stoneys) What store had it for sale?

fishinfool

Among other things
desertrat said:
Done both. Stoneys has a great appetizer and I've smoked my own. (I recommend Stoneys) What store had it for sale?

I didn't get the name of the place but it was in Deale MD near the intersection of 256 and 258 at the end of a strip mall. I've noticed other unique things on their sign like frog legs before...MMMMMM. If I get up that way soon I'll try to get the name for you.
What method, smoke recipe do you use to smoke it yourself? I'd like to try it.
:cheers:

Last edited:
I don't remember exactly, but I used my electric smoker with mesquite chips, that much I'm sure of. Probably a lot of salt, maybe even soaking in salt water first and brushed with a little oil. They're pretty oily anyway. Oh, and cut out the dark center line first. Good luck.

sowhat

Skinny people need LESS
Very basic smoked fish recipe: Soak/marinade in a brine solution, water, salt, sugar and spices. I used brown sugar, salt and water. Prepare grill, I use a Webber charcoal grill. Build a small charcoal fire, then put all the charcoal on one side of the grill. Soak mesquite or whatever kind of wood chips in water (or use leftover brine), spread chips on charcoal, lay the fish on the grill on the side opposite the charcoal. Replace wood chips as they smoke away. Control the amount of fire/smoke by using the little vent things on the bottom of the grill and the lid. The vent on the lid should be over the fish not the fire. :shrug:SoWhat :howdy:

Last edited: