Nags Head/obx

Larry Gude

Strung Out
Seeking opinions on best way to go and best time to go and come back and, conversely, worst ways/times.

Thinking about going south of Richmond and taking 460 from 95, then to 32 instead of 64 to 17.

Thanks in advance.

(We're Sunday to Sunday)

C

CapsFan

I would avoid Richmond if you can. We used to go 17 to 64. You will probably run into some traffic around Hampton / Newport News area. Once you get past the exits for VA Beach set the cruise control and let it eat, its smooth sailing. What are your plans for the week?

mingiz

Horse Poor
Nags Head

I went there about a month ago to pick up a horse. I took 301-95-295-64-664-64-168-158. Sounds like alot but actually it wasn't a bad ride there even towing a trailer.

bresamil

wandering aimlessly
I generally take the same route as CapsFan mainly because I travel with children and the interstate gives me plenty of options if someone needs an emergency potty stop. I have also taken the direction Mingiz suggested and at times it has cut 40 minutes off the trip. The only time we took 32 was when driving up from Tennessee. It was the middle of the night and that was one freaky spooky road. But that was 15 years ago and I'm sure its all high rises and McDonalds by now.

cattitude

My Sweetest Boy
Larry Gude said:
Seeking opinions on best way to go and best time to go and come back and, conversely, worst ways/times.

Thinking about going south of Richmond and taking 460 from 95, then to 32 instead of 64 to 17.

Thanks in advance.

(We're Sunday to Sunday)

I would head down through Calvert and pick me up. From there I don't care which way we go.

Midnightrider

we have been going the past few years the first week of jusy, and i have found that 17 to 64 is the way to go, just take the tunnel alternate route through portsmoth. I think its 664 (rarely traffic at the 664 tunnel), you avoid all the hampton roads tunnel bridge traffic and 664 dumps you off below VA Beach.
Good Luck

Christy

b*tch rocket
cattitude said:
I would head down through Calvert and pick me up. From there I don't care which way we go.
:yeahthat: And since you'll be so close you can swing over to St. Mary's County and pick me up. :biggrin:

Larry Gude

Strung Out
That's the ticket...

95-295-64-664-64-168-158

Heard that a number of times.

Catt and Chris T, more than happy to BUT you get to ride the Seqouia with the rest of the fems and I will be happy to bring your Vette and follow y'all.

Those are my terms.

Last time I went, in May, I used 460. Had NO problems with traffic. It's about 10 miles further than going up 64 to 95, but took about 15 minutes less. I used to use 17, but got tired of the mess around Newport News etc and the tunnel. Quite a few police on 460 so watch out for speed traps.

Larry Gude

Strung Out
You mean stay with 95...

desertrat said:
Last time I went, in May, I used 460. Had NO problems with traffic. It's about 10 miles further than going up 64 to 95, but took about 15 minutes less. I used to use 17, but got tired of the mess around Newport News etc and the tunnel. Quite a few police on 460 so watch out for speed traps.

...to south of Richmond then 460 over to Suffolk then 168?

I was wondering about that.

Right. 95 to Richmond. Depending on time of day decide if you want to take the bypass (295) it might be best anyway. Rush hour can be a hassle. Then 460 thru Sufolk to belt way to 168.

mrweb

Iron City
desertrat said:
Right. 95 to Richmond. Depending on time of day decide if you want to take the bypass (295) it might be best anyway. Rush hour can be a hassle. Then 460 thru Sufolk to belt way to 168.

Came back last week to Calvert via 158-168-464-264-64-17-301 then over to Leonardtown and on to Calvert. It was a pretty easy trip. Going to Fredneck, the 95/Richmond route sounds better.

Larry Gude

Strung Out
Well...

...with all the family members traveling Sunday/Sunday with today being the 4th, we all hit the road by 8am to go home and everyone got home in 5-5 1/2 hours...Zero problems!

Otter

Nothing to see here
Larry Gude said:
...with all the family members traveling Sunday/Sunday with today being the 4th, we all hit the road by 8am to go home and everyone got home in 5-5 1/2 hours...Zero problems!

:yay:

Doesn't it suck when you realize your vacation is over?