Spiderman

Frank

Chairman of the Board
I liked it, but in the way that I might like a good TV movie - I'm not crazy about it, and I didn't find enough of it interesting that I'd ever want to see it twice. In contrast, big-budget comic-book hero movies like "Batman" are STILL interesting to me even after 13 years (the sequels all sucked, BTW).

I mean, most of us know the basic story, which I think they took WAY too long to set up - Peter Parker the 'nerd' (although the original actually had some athletic ability) gets bitten by a (original - radioactive; in this one, genetically enhanced) spider. As in the original story, he lets a bad guy escape a crime who turns out later to murder his kind Uncle Ben, and in his remorse, vows to use his power responsibly.

I don't know what it is, but there's something missing in this. Raimi normally has lots of humor in his movies - there really wasn't any. No camp, no Star Wars silliness - really, just not funny. Kirsten Dunst is more adorable in this film than I think I've ever seen her (it MIGHT have somethng to do with her being a redhead, but that's just ME). But all of the interaction between her, Peter, "Flash" (who is in the film so briefly he barely merits a mention) and Harry - just seemed melodramatic. Actually, it seems that Tobey Maguire (Spiderman/Parker) generally justs smirks and grins through most of the movie.

The only person whose character is much revealed in this film is Willem Dafoe's Osborn (and then Dunst's MJ) and that's partly because he's just that good an actor.

But the storyline is extremely thin. Past the origin story - which is easily half the movie - we're treated to Osborn/Green Goblin being kicked out of his own company (for reasons I never really understand) and he just goes on a killing spree with the advanced weapons his former company built. Spiderman's job is simple - stop him. Nothng clever. Spiderman almost never shows a single shred of cleverness he's so famous for, or his signature taunts and jokes.

(Off the subject, slightly - I really hate the way they make the Goblin appear - why does a company make an advanced armor unit that makes its wearer look like the Goblin on the front of the truck in "Maximum Overdrive"?)

Overall - not bad. It was just missing something. I just can't see Tobey Maguire as the kind of action hero I'm going to go back for sequels. Maybe I'll watch the sequels for Dunst.

---- Why did they waste Simmons for two or three useless scenes as J. Jonah Jameson?

BudoPo

I pretty much agree.  I kind of thought the origin part was pretty good, and in some ways better than the Green Goblin battle part.  I thought it was interesting to see him learn how to use his new-found abilities, and being a bit of a clutz with them.

But, I think they did a good job turning a comic strip into a movie.  If you go in expecting a fun movie, without too many deep philosophical messages, you'll have a good time.  Willem Dafoe did the best job, in terms of acting, especially portraying his character's psychosis.  They all suffered from poor to mediocre directing, though.

BTW, the hospital they went to  (Queens General) is about a 10 minute walk from where I grew up.  When I think about it, the building has a really good comic book type appearance (kind of Batmanish).  Too bad they didn't show a few seconds more of that.

Sharon

Staff member
PREMO Member
Spiderman Lives

mdf54882.jpg