America's Stonehenge

jazz lady

~*~ Rara Avis ~*~
PREMO Member
www.stonehengeusa.com

Has anybody ever been there? I'm going to Boston next weekend and my sister wants to visit it while we're there. It's about a 45 minute drive from Boston into New Hampshire. It looks pretty cool and very interesting. :yay:

jazz lady

~*~ Rara Avis ~*~
PREMO Member
And if anybody has any suggestions on "must-sees" in Boston, I'd love to hear them. So far, Quincy Market and Paul Revere's House are on the list. We're mostly interested in stuff downtown.

We only have a couple of days, so we're going to pack in as much as possible without killing ourselves. :lol:

cattitude

My Sweetest Boy
jazz lady said:
And if anybody has any suggestions on "must-sees" in Boston, I'd love to hear them. So far, Quincy Market and Paul Revere's House are on the list. We're mostly interested in stuff downtown.

We only have a couple of days, so we're going to pack in as much as possible without killing ourselves. :lol:

Bull & Finch Pub...just to say you were there. :yay: It's early yet...let me think..I was there in 2001. I went to Fenway too, loved it.

jazz lady

~*~ Rara Avis ~*~
PREMO Member
cattitude said:
Bull & Finch Pub...just to say you were there. :yay: It's early yet...let me think..I was there in 2001. I went to Fenway too, loved it.
I saw the Bull & Finch Pub when I was looking at tourism sites last night. It looks like something to include in the tour. :yay:

I'd love to go to Fenway, but I'll have to see if they're in town. I've always wanted to see where my childhood hero Yaz played.

Pete

Repete
jazz lady said:
I saw the Bull & Finch Pub when I was looking at tourism sites last night. It looks like something to include in the tour. :yay:

I'd love to go to Fenway, but I'll have to see if they're in town. I've always wanted to see where my childhood hero Yaz played.
It is nothing like Cheers at all expcept for the entrance. Very expensive, very small.

itsbob

I bowl overhand
jazz lady said:

If you're going to Salem NH to "America's Stonehenge" then you should take a trip to Portsmouth NH and do Strawberry Banke.. Robert Frost farm is just down the street from America's Stonehenge.. but I don't htink there is anything to really see there.. except the West Running Brook... How far inot NH do you want to go!!? I got lists of places to go see there.. and DO a whale watch out of Boston Harbor LOTS of fun.. or so my daughter told me, I've never been..

itsbob

I bowl overhand
jazz lady said:

Even if the SOX aren't there the stadium is open to walk around, they usually just don't let people on the field.. but you can go see hte big green monster.. The USS Constitution.. and the Boston Tea Party Ship. I'm more familiar with NH then Mass though.. and there is like a "Cheers" on every corner in Boston now.

jazz lady

~*~ Rara Avis ~*~
PREMO Member
itsbob said:
If you're going to Salem NH to "America's Stonehenge" then you should take a trip to Portsmouth NH and do Strawberry Banke.. Robert Frost farm is just down the street from America's Stonehenge.. but I don't htink there is anything to really see there.. except the West Running Brook... How far inot NH do you want to go!!? I got lists of places to go see there.. and DO a whale watch out of Boston Harbor LOTS of fun.. or so my daughter told me, I've never been..
Actually, we're going to be staying in Salem, NH near Rockingham Raceway where my nephew is currently working, then driving into Boston or wherever for day trips.

My sister is not big on boats so I doubt she'd do the whale watch, although I'd love to do that. She's looking to do stuff she likes to do and her husband won't. :lol:

cattitude

My Sweetest Boy
Pete said:
It is nothing like Cheers at all expcept for the entrance. Very expensive, very small.

It's not small at all. Three levels and many different bars. It doesn't look like much Cheers on the inside, except for the entrance. It is commercialized, selling lots of Cheers memorabilia but it is kinda neat to see, at least it was for me.

I love Fenway. It's very small, they never rebuilt after the fire destroyed most of the upper deck. The refreshment area is TINY. Seeing the "green monster" in person was great. I love the Yawkey Way entrace and the brick work.

We walked and walked all over Boston. The Boston Commons is a very pretty park and Beacon Hill is the "in" place to live, really nice design on the old buildings. I enjoyed seeing Faneuil Hall and looking around the Quincy Street Market which has a little bit of everything.

We saw the Boston Tea Party boat, but it was a replica...and they'd had a fire right before we got there..so we didn't see much.

One of my friends was a graveyard nut so we walked through a gazillion graveyards. It was interesting to see how young people were when they died ...people sure didn't live long way back when. Saw graves of Samuel Adams, Paul Revere and John Hancock and Ben Franklin's family.

We also walked around the waterfront.

I had a great time.

Last edited:

jazz lady

~*~ Rara Avis ~*~
PREMO Member
itsbob said:
Even if the SOX aren't there the stadium is open to walk around, they usually just don't let people on the field.. but you can go see hte big green monster.. The USS Constitution.. and the Boston Tea Party Ship. I'm more familiar with NH then Mass though.. and there is like a "Cheers" on every corner in Boston now.
I'd love to see the stadium even without a game going on, so that's good to know. :yay:

My dad was stationed out of Boston when I was a kid and I remember going on his Navy ship for the tour. A tour of the USS Constitution sounds pretty neat too. I toured the one up in Baltimore, the USS Constellation, before and loved it. I've been back to Boston a couple of times as an adult but on business and didn't get to do the touristy things.

itsbob

I bowl overhand
Well, Salem is not far from Portsmouth NH, fun day to spend on the water, and maybe see a Nuclear Powered Fast Attack Sub at the Kittery navy base across the Bay.. if you take the "little" bridge over into Maine (Rte 1 I think, NOT the interstate Bridge) on the Maine side there is a fantastic Lobster house on the water at the base of the bridge. In Dover, there is a VERY good seafood house called Newicks, kind of hard to find but worth the look. If your sister isn't into boats head North to the White Mountains.. Take I-93 all the way up.. you'll have to stop at Clark's Trading Post and see the trained bears, stop at the Flume, it's a nice hike in the woods and a BEAUTIFUL waterfall, another stop will take you to the POOL, a carved out (from spring run-off) piece of granite that forms a large pool.. you can see where the Old Man On the Moutain USED to be, keep going north and you can take SMALL 2 person gondola rides up a mountain or go to Wildcat and take 16 person Gondola rides up, take the eastern loop that takes you through Conway NH, where you can take a scenic train ride on an old steam locomotive.. and hit the Kangamangus Highwaay.. beautiful scenic ride anytime of year.

itsbob

I bowl overhand
Salem is also very close to Methuen and Lawrence Mass... my advice is to stay away from both!!!

jazz lady

~*~ Rara Avis ~*~
PREMO Member
cattitude said:
I enjoyed seeing Faneuil Hall and looking around the Quincy Street Market which has a little bit of everything.
That's where I want to go. It sounds very interesting and a nice place to walk around and browse. :yay:

cattitude

My Sweetest Boy
jazz lady said:
That's where I want to go. It sounds very interesting and a nice place to walk around and browse. :yay:

Of course, you could always hit Federal Street and see our Firm's main office. :lmao:

itsbob

I bowl overhand
You can go West, and see where the likes of Alan Shepard and ME graduated High School.. It's only about 15 miles from Salem in a little town called Derry NH.. Lets see I graduated in 1980 and the school was 214 years old.. so Pinkerton Academy is now 239 years old.. and HUGE.

jazz lady

~*~ Rara Avis ~*~
PREMO Member
itsbob said:
Well, Salem is not far from Portsmouth NH, fun day to spend on the water, and maybe see a Nuclear Powered Fast Attack Sub at the Kittery navy base across the Bay..
That's not on my agenda for some reason. :wink:

if you take the "little" bridge over into Maine (Rte 1 I think, NOT the interstate Bridge) on the Maine side there is a fantastic Lobster house on the water at the base of the bridge.
Warren's. :banana: I've been there twice (12 years apart) and actually made a special trip JUST to go there last year when I went to Boston. I had the most delicious and HUGE lobster dinner. :yum: They have THE best carrot cake for dessert too. :yum: :yum:

In Dover, there is a VERY good seafood house called Newicks, kind of hard to find but worth the look. If your sister isn't into boats head North to the White Mountains.. Take I-93 all the way up.. you'll have to stop at Clark's Trading Post and see the trained bears, stop at the Flume, it's a nice hike in the woods and a BEAUTIFUL waterfall, another stop will take you to the POOL, a carved out (from spring run-off) piece of granite that forms a large pool.. you can see where the Old Man On the Moutain USED to be, keep going north and you can take SMALL 2 person gondola rides up a mountain or go to Wildcat and take 16 person Gondola rides up, take the eastern loop that takes you through Conway NH, where you can take a scenic train ride on an old steam locomotive.. and hit the Kangamangus Highwaay.. beautiful scenic ride anytime of year.
Thanks for the information! :yay:

itsbob

I bowl overhand
Portsmouth would be fun to do the Strawberry Banke.. kind of like Colonial Williamsburgh.. the costumes.. the craftsman.. etc.. Kinda figured ya wouldn't be into the Fast Attack Boats..

itsbob

I bowl overhand
and the town of Portsmouth itself is just a fun town to walk along the water, do the parks, the downtown area and the shops and little restaurants.. Park the car and walk around....

If you are into a little more amusement.. Hampton Beach.. Arcades.. frozen Lemonade.. Fried Clams.. water slides.. Concerts...... BIG boardwalk.. LOTS of fun!!

jazz lady

~*~ Rara Avis ~*~
PREMO Member
itsbob said:
and the town of Portsmouth itself is just a fun town to walk along the water, do the parks, the downtown area and the shops and little restaurants.. Park the car and walk around....
Sounds nice!

If you are into a little more amusement.. Hampton Beach.. Arcades.. frozen Lemonade.. Fried Clams.. water slides.. Concerts...... BIG boardwalk.. LOTS of fun!!
Now THAT sounds like fun! :clap: My sister said she was dying to have a foot-long hot dog like we used to get in Asbury Park in NJ when we were kids and visiting our grandma. :lol:

Last edited: