RLS and pregnancy

watercolor

yeah yeah
Hey everyone. I was hoping someone could help ease my mind a little. I am currently starting my 5th month of pregnancy (first baby, so I dont know what to expect) and I was wondering if RLS is more prominate in the second and maybe 3rd trimesters?

I did not have any problems with it in my first trimester at all. I have always had RLS, but got it under control for a while- then- just in the past month (throughout my 4th month) it has shown back up - and with a vengence.

I cant sleep at night. I am all over the place. During the day, while sitting down, I get ancy and have the feeling like I need to run around the block a million times. It has gotten to the point that I am getting NO rest (hence the restless part) and I am wearing down.

I obviously cannot do any otc drugs, and nor rx drugs (that I know are safe during pregnancy- but I may be wrong) that are safe enough.. wondered if there was anything I could do, as to where I didnt have to ingest anything.

Thanks in advance, I appreciate any feedback. :)

Here is a whole page of info ... hope you find something that helps.... but it looks like you are in for the long haul...:ohwell:

What can I do about it?
RSL is not considered a serious medical condition, but its effects can range from mildly irritating to truly maddening. Although several kinds of drugs treat RSL, none can be taken safely during pregnancy. You may find that it helps to keep a journal of what you eat and drink, what you do, and how you feel emotionally. After a few weeks, you may be able to tell whether diet, stress, or environmental factors are causing your symptoms in any way. You may find, however, that restless leg syndrome is something you simply have to cope with — at least until your baby is born.

watercolor

yeah yeah
Yeah I figured as much kwillia.. thanks. I appreciate it. :flowers:

And I went to the restless leg foundation page.. and joined the boards.. but I didnt really read anything on there that helped. but I thank you for what you found. All the other sites I had googled were trying to sell me something for RLS.. and well for obvious reasons, I cant.

Merlin

Registered Smarta$$
Although I've never been pregnant, I have been bothered by RLS. The best non-medicinal method I've found is soaking in a hot tub (with minerals in the water such as sulphur). Being pregnant, I would suggest soaking legs only. If no hot tub, try a very hot bath with mineral salt...

Tigerlily

Luvin Life !!!
Merlin said:
Although I've never been pregnant, I have been bothered by RLS. The best non-medicinal method I've found is soaking in a hot tub (with minerals in the water such as sulphur). Being pregnant, I would suggest soaking legs only. If no hot tub, try a very hot bath with mineral salt...

No hot baths while pregnant and absolutely no hot tubs please. Very dangerous for the baby.

carolinagirl

What's it 2 U
WC - also keep in mind that your energy picks up in your second trimester. You may see an improvement again once you hit your third trimester and your energy level goes back down. Good luck

J

JWB_CWB

No hot baths while pregnant and absolutely no hot tubs please. Very dangerous for the baby

There is nothing wrong with soaking legs in hot bath water when pregnant.

O no not the bad Karma..... I guess that is what I get to pointing out the obvious. Gimme some more.

Last edited by a moderator:

watercolor

yeah yeah
I will try it. Thanks!

carolinagirl- see, that would be nice and dandy, since I am already into my second tri.. but I am seeming to do everything assbackwards.. and my whole first tri.. I wasnt sick until 12 weeks, then from there, I am useless before 12 noon.

nomoney

TIGERLILY said:
No hot baths while pregnant and absolutely no hot tubs please. Very dangerous for the baby.
hot baths are fine.....its the hot tubs and saunas that the docs warn about....nothing wrong with a hot bath at all....(and by hot I don't mean turn your skin red and takes 10 min to sit in it; but thats just common sense)