Beaches

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Where are good places for families to go for a week? We had a blast at Nags Head but that drive...:twitch:

What are some good places closer to home? I know Ocean City is active and commercialized, and Rehoboth is where the gay guys go. What about Cape May or Bethany?

Nanny Pam

Cape May is awesom. Rustic, Victorian charm. No boardwalk, though.
Bethany is a great place if you're into just beaching, reading and relaxing. Not much else to do there. Night life really sucks down there. :yawn:

Now Vrai~!!!!
Now ALL of Rehoboth is gay. So far....I'm still straight. :lol:

Come on over and check us out. Rehoboth & Dewey are "sister towns" with TONS of nightlife and lots-o-fun.
The gay beach is "Poodle Beach." Just stay away from there, if you're not into that kind of thing. Call me when you get in town. We'll get a drink. :otter:

virgovictoria

Tight Pants and Lipstick
PREMO Member
vraiblonde said:
Where are good places for families to go for a week? We had a blast at Nags Head but that drive...:twitch:

What are some good places closer to home? I know Ocean City is active and commercialized, and Rehoboth is where the gay guys go. What about Cape May or Bethany?

Personally, the best all around family and older party/less havoc beaches are OBX/Nags Head or Myrtle Beach. My solution to the drive situation has been to remind the other going with that I have to make frequent stops for potty breaks, traffic sucks, blah blah blah.... "Why don't we drive through the night, I'll sleep and we'll knock much time off of our commute"... They are sooo much happier and I am as well. :shrug:

Just a suggestion.

K

Kain99

I absolutely LOVE Ocean City and it's white trashy-ness! Nothing beats it! :banana:

cattitude

My Sweetest Boy
For beaches close..I like Rehobeth better than OC, but nothing in the area beats the OC boardwalk. :yay:

But my favorite place to go is Garden City, South Carolina. It's just a bit south of Myrtle Beach.

Agee

hollywoman said:
Virginia Beach is nice, it's 4 hr drive, but nice board walk, plenty of beach, mini-golf, etc.
Yes it is, but way to crowded during the summer season.

Vrai, try Sandbridge just south of the Va. Beach Oceanfront about 25 miles. Plenty of weekly rentals in all shapes and sizes, campgrounds as well. Fishing pier, and Back Bay Wildlife refuge.

http://www.sandbridge.com/

Christy

b*tch rocket
I did an overnighter in Yorktown VA, and I thought it was WAY cool. Stayed here. http://www.dukeofyorkmotel.com/It's less than 15 miles from Williamsburg and Busch Gardens. There is a Ben and Jerry's and a Pub within crawling distance of the hotel, what more could a gal ask for? :shrug:

crabcake

But wait, there's more...
Lewes Beach (in DE) is nice! :yay: It's a bit more "quiet" and probably like what you had in Nags Head, yet the night life of Rehoboth is just a quick 15 minutes away, and the ferry goes between Lewes and Cape May if you wanna go over there for a day trip. The beach is more mild too, in that you don't have the undertoe of the ocean b/c it's on the bay.

Tonio

Asperger's Poster Child
Chincoteague is excellent for families. It's much quieter than the Maryland and Delaware beach towns. The beach itself has no development at all, since it's on a wildlife refuge. Great contrast for Ocean City, which definitely caters to twentysomethings who like drinking. :alkies: :otter:

crabcake

But wait, there's more...
Tonio said:
Chincoteague is excellent for families ... Great contrast for Ocean City, which definitely caters to twentysomethings who like drinking. :alkies: :otter:
you say that like it's a bad thing. :confused:

:lol: I forgot about Chincoteague. It is a nice little town if you're looking for a more serene, natural setting to relax in. :yay: