Almost Heaven - West Virginia

bresamil

wandering aimlessly
I'm headed up there next week. I have use of a home near Black Water Falls. Anyone familiar with the area? The website for the park was nice but I don't know much about the surrounding area. Any good experiences? It'll help me to plan my days there. Although I'd be content to hang in the hot tub, read and relax, I'm travelling with kids and I don't want them to get bored.
Any positive information will be appreciated, along with any directions from here (St Mary's) to there (Davis, WVA) that doesn't include long stretches of interstate driving.

happyazz

Skiing in the clouds
It has been years since I was up there ( ski season ). There are caverns down the road from Cannan ski resort. One Hotel had a out door ice skating rink, probley another attraction durning the summer. I heard that in the area somewhere there is a park of some kind, where you can climb a " fake " mountion ect.
I would wait until I got there and check out the area more. It is so pretty up there!

aps45819

24/7 Single Dad
Went there once when I was a kid. All I remember was that it got COLD at night and it was during the middle of the summer.

K

Kizzy

aps45819 said:
Went there once when I was a kid. All I remember was that it got COLD at night and it was during the middle of the summer.

I never understood that either. My father was born and raised in Grafton, and it would be in the upper 80's all day and fricken 40 at night.

S

Shutterbug

Kizzy said:
I never understood that either. My father was born and raised in Grafton, and it would be in the upper 80's all day and fricken 40 at night.
Oh good grief....it's not like it's the desert. :drama:

:lmao:

Christy

b*tch rocket
aps45819 said:
Yep, it still gets cold up there at night. Was there over the 4th.

Bresamil, the best way to go (IMHO) is take the beltway to 66W, then 66 ends and you take 81 (the right lane exit) follow that until you see the sign for Winchester/Romney (you'll take a left once you get off the exit). That will take you to Route 50. Go through Romney, and about 40 miles past Romney you'll take a left towards Scherr. I think it's Rt. 42. Follow that to the end, take a right (by this time you'll have seen the signs to Blackwater Falls/Canaan Valley). Go up Scherr Mountain (hope you don't get car sick :barf: ) take a left at the Top of the Mountain. Follow that to the end and take a left. You'll then be in Davis. :yay:

The town of Thomas (where I grew up) is being revitalized and is quite the touristy little area. I heard the Purple Fiddle (how gay is that :duh: ) is pretty good, and they have music during the weekend. I still can't bring myself to go in the Purple Fiddle, it went from Mr. DePollo's store where we got the best pepperoni in the world, to granola mecca. :bawl:

Sirriani's Pizza in Davis is really good. :yay: It's WAY granola, but the pizza is good. :yum:

For the ultimate shopping experience, stop in at the Dollar General store. :lol: While you are in there, could you please pick me up some more wine glasses? they're a $1.50 a piece and I loves them. :yay: