Honolulu

CityGrl

Time for a nap
Just booked my trip for a week in Honolulu. I've never been to Hawaii, so I'm excited!

I'm actually spending part of the time visiting the bf's family, but the rest of the time I will be doing some serious sightseeing. We're staying in Wakiki, so what are some areas/activities that I shouldn't miss?

jazz lady

~*~ Rara Avis ~*~
PREMO Member
I lived there for three years, but I can't help you. I was only 6 weeks old at the time we moved there. :lmao:

I think Christy went there recently and may be able to help you. :shrug:

Christy

b*tch rocket
CityGrl said:
Just booked my trip for a week in Honolulu. I've never been to Hawaii, so I'm excited!

I'm actually spending part of the time visiting the bf's family, but the rest of the time I will be doing some serious sightseeing. We're staying in Wakiki, so what are some areas/activities that I shouldn't miss?
Spend as little time on Oahu as possible. Go see the Arizona Memorial, do the little drive up to the North Shore (be sure to stop in at the Sugar Bar), then go to Maui or Kauai. Maui (Lahaina) is great for partying, Kauai is just heaven on Earth. Pick up the "Kauai Underground Guide". Amazon.com sells it. :yay:

Oh, book your tickets to other Islands when you get there, don't book through a travel agent stateside, the rates are incredibly jacked up.

Hope that helps.

CityGrl

Time for a nap
Christy said:
Spend as little time on Oahu as possible. Go see the Arizona Memorial, do the little drive up to the North Shore (be sure to stop in at the Sugar Bar), then go to Maui or Kauai. Maui (Lahaina) is great for partying, Kauai is just heaven on Earth. Pick up the "Kauai Underground Guide". Amazon.com sells it. :yay:

Oh, book your tickets to other Islands when you get there, don't book through a travel agent stateside, the rates are incredibly jacked up.

Hope that helps.

What's wrong with Oahu?

Definitely will try to check out some of the other islands...

Christy

b*tch rocket
CityGrl said:
What's wrong with Oahu?

Definitely will try to check out some of the other islands...
It's just not what you envision when you think of "Hawaii". Every inch of it has a house on it. Honolulu and Waikiki is wall to wall tourist (mostly Japanese). If you are okay with no personal space, you'll be okay. The Japanese are used to being crammed into an area like sardines, so they have no problem standing very close to you. Oh, don't be shocked if you have a few come up to you and touch your hair and want to take your picture. They have a fascination with blonde and red hair. :shrug: It's okay, but the other islands are mucho bettah. Especially Kauai. :yay:

Christy

b*tch rocket
CG, your boyfriend wouldn't happen to be military would he? If you know any military folks over there, have them take you to Bellows on Oahu. Best beach on the Island. :yay: ( if you get lucky, the Marines will be doing amphibious landing training). :really: :swoon: :faint:

CityGrl

Time for a nap
Christy said:
CG, your boyfriend wouldn't happen to be military would he? If you know any military folks over there, have them take you to Bellows on Oahu. Best beach on the Island. :yay: ( if you get lucky, the Marines will be doing amphibious landing training). :really: :swoon: :faint:

:lmao: Unfortunately, no...

Christy

b*tch rocket
CityGrl said:
Sounds like I'll have to check out Kauai.
Check out Maui as well. :yay:

Flights to the other islands aren't all that expensive if you buy them once you get there, and since your BF's family lives there you can maybe get kamai'ana (local) rates. They do charge differently for locals than they do the tourists. This includes hotel rates and any touristy thing you want to do.

Triggerfish

You may want to check Hawaiian Airlines or Aloha Airlines for multi-island passes or a coupon book. I've been to Hawaii twice and currently I am planning my first trip there with my wife.

You may want to visit the Big Island and go to Volcanoes National Park and see the lava flow into the ocean.

Molokai is often declared the most "Hawaiian" of all the islands. It has the greatest concentration of native Hawaiians and this is where the Hula originated. It also has Hawaii's tallest waterfall. It is the least developed and has not changed much in decades.

On Oahu don't miss Hanauma Bay for snorlkeling. If you scuba dive, Hanauma Bay is supposed to be one of the best places. However it's often crowded.

Last edited:

Christy

b*tch rocket
Triggerfish said:
On Oahu don't miss Hanauma Bay for snorlkeling. If you scuba dive, Hanauma Bay is supposed to be one of the best places. However it's often crowded.
Get there EARLY, they now restrict the amount of people allowed in per day. PLUS you have to sit through some film or lecture on not killing the coral. At least that's what the in-law's said, they were just over there a few months ago. :shrug:

Triggerfish

Christy said:
Get there EARLY, they now restrict the amount of people allowed in per day. PLUS you have to sit through some film or lecture on not killing the coral. At least that's what the in-law's said, they were just over there a few months ago. :shrug:

That's good....if you kick too close to the coral the force of the water can kill it. Too many careless people and all the coral will be all dead in places like Hanauma Bay. When the corals die then a lot of the fish that live there go since they lose their home or source of nourishment.