Ants!

snuzzy

They are everywhere. We tried ant traps, but our dog seems to find them and we don't want them to make her sick... we have put them out of her reach, but that makes them too far away from the ants for them to be attracted to them :confused: Any ideas for getting rid of them, besides cleaning (we do!)...TIA

jazz lady

~*~ Rara Avis ~*~
PREMO Member
Ants are either searching for food or water. If they're not getting into food, then they're finding water somewhere. I used to get them at my old house around the sink in the kitchen where it leaked. The only thing that worked for me was the ant bait traps.

C

CapsFan

snuzzy said:
They are everywhere. We tried ant traps, but our dog seems to find them and we don't want them to make her sick... we have put them out of her reach, but that makes them too far away from the ants for them to be attracted to them :confused: Any ideas for getting rid of them, besides cleaning (we do!)...TIA

I put the traps under the frig or oven and under the sofa. Dog should'nt be able to get under any of those.

Mikeinsmd

snuzzy said:
Channel 4 news just did a piece on ants. I remember them saying, work to get the ants from inside the house first before putting poison outside. Once you have the house "clean", then place traps outside & they will take the poison back to the nest. I thought the online piece would have more info but it doesn't. I copied it for you here:

Keep Ants Away From Your Home
Pest control operators say in nearly every case, ants come from outside.

Tips To Keep Ants Outside:

Stop them from coming in by keeping plants away from the outside of the house. Ants like to live in many of those plants, or may use that as a vehicle for getting into the house. Keep the area around the foundation clean and clear of leaves, etc.

Spray the area outside the home with pesticide.

Tips For Inside Your Home:

Sanitize. Keep areas clean of crumbs and food. A problem area may be the kitchen rubbish can, where ants sometimes feed. You might want to rinse out items (i.e. soda cans) before you put them in the trash can.

Watch the ants. Follow their trail. Most ants like to forage at night, so you might want to search for them in the dark with a flashlight. Watch where they are going. It might lead you to an inside nest.

Most ants will respond to bait traps and ant poison (i.e. Terro). The one ant that pest control operators say doesn't respond to bait or poison is the one giving Hawaii residents the most trouble: the white footed ant. With that one, its just try to eliminate the colony and keep them out of the house.

When do you call a pest control company? When you can't handle the ants anymore, get on the phone.

C

CapsFan

snuzzy said:
we have put them out of her reach, but that makes them too far away from the ants for them to be attracted to them :confused:

Don't worry the ants will find them, they smell like a food source. They will get in there and carry the poison to the nest and Poof! no more ants. DIE ANTS DIE!

snuzzy

jazz lady said:
Ants are either searching for food or water. If they're not getting into food, then they're finding water somewhere. I used to get them at my old house around the sink in the kitchen where it leaked. The only thing that worked for me was the ant bait traps.

I never thought of that, we do have water around the base of our faucet and often see them near there. Thanks, I'll stay conscious of keeping it dry there/get hubby to fix the leak-annoying any way!!

snuzzy

CapsFan said:
Don't worry the ants will find them, they smell like a food source. They will get in there and carry the poison to the nest and Poof! no more ants. DIE ANTS DIE!
Thanks, I guess I'm impatient for them to die, die, die! So when I don't see them head right for the traps, I think they're not working :whistle:

sleuth

Livin' Like Thanksgivin'
What about killing ants outside the home?
I've noticed some mega anthills encircling my house about 5 feet away from teh foundation. The anthills are getting so big that they're killing the grass in some spots.

dustin

UAIOE
put a bowl of sugar water outside close to your house but not far away. hopefully they will pick it over your home.

Bogart

http://www.terro.com/

Day one, ants in the kitchen.
Day two, lots of ants in the kitchen.
Day three, deploy Terro in the kitchen.
Day four, a shitload of ants in the Terro bait in the kitchen.
Day five, three ants in the kitchen.
Day six, one ant in the kitchen.
Rest of summer, no ants in the kitchen.

I used the liquid ant baits, The ants were the little sugar ants, not those big mother outdoor ants.

meangirl

Nice lady!
Bogart said:
http://www.terro.com/

Day one, ants in the kitchen.
Day two, lots of ants in the kitchen.
Day three, deploy Terro in the kitchen.
Day four, a shitload of ants in the Terro bait in the kitchen.
Day five, three ants in the kitchen.
Day six, one ant in the kitchen.
Rest of summer, no ants in the kitchen.

I used the liquid ant baits, The ants were the little sugar ants, not those big mother outdoor ants.

:yay: Terro kicks ant butt! I had the same results you did Bogart. I also used the outdoor Terro thingy's they have out now.