Three Horses Need Foster Home

Pegster710

The Pegster
"Please spread the word througout the horse community as my contacts are not as extensive as yours: The St. Mary's Animal Welfare League is in the process of rescuing three horses together, and they are in need of a foster home. These horses have been involved in an investigation and cruelty case, and the owner has agreed to voluntarily surrender all three to animal control on Wednesday. At that time, since St. Mary's County has no where to put them, animal control will then transport and sign over these horses to the St. Mary's Animal Welfare League.

Please help by spreading the word. If we can continue to show our local government that our community cares about these animals, as we did with Snowflake, they will continue to be more willing to work with us in our mission to help neglected and abused animals. To read more about Snowflake's rescue and journey to his forever home, view http://smawlsnowflake.blogspot.com.

Also, I will be sending out information soon on The Snowflake Society, a horse-specific rescue branch that will fall under the non-profit umbrella of the St. Mary's Animal Welfare League. This "society" will have a membership that will fund horse rescue in our community. Let's get together. Together, we can do this--and right now, there is an immediate need.

We need a foster home for three horses, two geldings (one Arab) and one quarterhorse mare. Please spread the word and contact me with any leads."

PM me if you need a contact name and number.

Thanks,
Pegster

bernsm

Thank you HorseLady. I'm with St. Mary's Animal Welfare League and have the contact number of the person who is coordinating this rescue for us. She does not have any account or she would contact you personally. My e-mail address is bernsm@erols.com. We are to take possession of these horses on Wednesday. Thanks again.

Maureen Bernard

jazz lady

~*~ Rara Avis ~*~
PREMO Member
Snowflake looks marvelous and I'm so glad this story has a happy ending. :clap:

Good luck with the other 3 horses that need rescuing. I hope their story ends up just as happy. :smile:

bernsm

Thank you Jazz Lady. SMAWL was very impressed with the support that we got from the community when we rescued Snowflake. We figure if we get the same kind of support for these 3 horses, they will have a happy ending as well.

jazz lady

~*~ Rara Avis ~*~
PREMO Member
Could you list an address where people could send donations if they would like to donate to the cause? Thanks!

bernsm

All donations can be sent to the following address:
SMAWL
P.O. Box 364
Mechanicsville, MD 20659
Attn: The Snowflake Society

Please indicate "The Snowflake Society" on both the envelope and the check. That way the donation will be sure to benefit our rescue horses rather than in our general fund. Thank you!!

Pegster710

The Pegster
Wow!

Thanks for all the great responses! :dance:

Horselady, I PM'd you the contact info for Trish. I also sent your info to her. I see Maureen from SMAWL gave you her e-mail address, too. I'm glad this is all coming together.

Appy, I hope someone lets you know if they need the extra's you have - why don't you e-mail Maureen (above) and let her know what you have.

I hope everyone noticed the donation address! Thanks, Jazz, for prompting that!

Hope you all have a great day!

HorseLady

Painted Spirit
Hi! Just wanted to update on the three horses. We picked them up this afternoon. They are in good shape but they are in the geriatric range. If someone wants to spread the word there is an arab gelding that is 28 that needs to go to a home as a companion. He needs his teeth floated and to be wormed a few times. There is also a large (16 hands or better) standardbred/draft cross that is in great condition that may be suitable for walk/trotting on trails. He has an injury to his front hoof that is at least 10 yrs old (I knew him back then). The third is a mare in good health that I will be able to use our lesson program - once a week! They all need their feet trimmed but there are no major health issues. They are just worried and missing home. If any of these horses are placed the prospective owners will be scrutinized and understand they are going to forever homes and not to be sold. I'm glad the owner of these horses had the courage to step forward and talk to someone at Tri-County BEFORE these horses ever went hungry. Caring for horses can be an expensive and sometimes people find themselves in circumstances become overwellming. I'll post some photos asap. If there are any donations we would need it would be for wormer (Zimectrin Gold type). It would be nice if we could store some donations, supplies, etc at the shelter so that if anyone was in our postition they could go there and get what they needed.Thanks for your support!