Centipedes

sleuth

Livin' Like Thanksgivin'
Came home from vacation last week to find a couple hundred dead centipedes curled up on my basement floor, and I'm still finding a few stragglers elsewhere in the house.

No idea how they're getting in, but more importantly why they're getting in. Anyone else had this problem?

sleuth

Livin' Like Thanksgivin'
RoseRed said:
Do you have pets? Maybe they came in on them like fleas do.
No, no pets.
Though I did some quick research to find out they're not harmful to the home (except for the fact that they can sting humans). In fact, they're beneficial because they kill other insects. I don't know if what I have is the "house centipede" or the garden variety, but they are apparently attracted to humid, damp places.

Could be just a weather issue with this high humidity and my air-condition house. :shrug: I've noticed a lot of condensation on windows, glass light fixtures, and my water pipes, so I'm sure it's pretty humid inside.

I've been needing to spray for bugs anyway. This will just force me off my butt to do it sooner.

Bustem' Down

Give Peas a Chance
sleuth said:
Came home from vacation last week to find a couple hundred dead centipedes curled up on my basement floor, and I'm still finding a few stragglers elsewhere in the house.

No idea how they're getting in, but more importantly why they're getting in. Anyone else had this problem?
Sounds like good eatin'

SeaRide

Yeah, we get those tiny centipedes in the basement pretty much every year when the humidity gets really high and the basement stays very cool. For some odd reason, my uncle called them "Po" worms. Not sure if he's right or just kidding as usual.

sleuth

Livin' Like Thanksgivin'
SeaRide said:
Yeah, we get those tiny centipedes in the basement pretty much every year when the humidity gets really high and the basement stays very cool. For some odd reason, my uncle called them "Po" worms. Not sure if he's right or just kidding as usual.
What do you mean by "tiny"? The ones in my basement are about an inch long.

SeaRide

sleuth said:
What do you mean by "tiny"? The ones in my basement are about an inch long.

Are those furry or not? I am talking the plain black skinny ones that curls up when you touch them.

sleuth said:

I've been having a dozen or so each day. About an inch long and tan. Never seen 'em before this year. It's always something.

F

Fred&Ginger

Me too!

:yeahthat: I live in a basement apartment as well and every year (it seems) between May and September, the little guys come in the house by the hundreds sometimes, especially when it's rained. They are about an inch long until they curl up and die. I spray about twice a month to no avail and they still come in the house somehow. They're disgusting and I find myself having to vacuum twice a week just to keep the numbers down. I believe they're millipedes, not centipedes, centipedes are usually about 4-6 inches long with huge pinchers on their heads (hideous creatures I tell you). If anyone has figured out how to get rid of them I'm all ears!

G

Gemmi

Apply some insect control granules such as Triazicide or Sevin around the perimeter of the house.This will keep them out.

BuddyLee

Football addict
sleuth said:

Maybe you can dry them out and make a spice rack out of them. A heart shaped wreath would also look lovely.:lol:

jazz lady

~*~ Rara Avis ~*~
PREMO Member
I've found about a dozen of the critters in my house this year and all of them have been in the bathrooms. They've about an inch long, slender, dark brown/black, with lots of legs. Ugh. :twitch: