Trader Joe's...

Larry Gude

Strung Out
...I guess this goes in home/garden?

Wife dragged me along to p/u the wedding dresses and we stopped by Joe's on Rockville.

Let me say as a connoisseur of junk food and interesting sodas and chips and cookies etc, etc, etc. this place is C-O-O-L.

Current must have:

The people who make Pellegrino water make a lime soda. Killer.

And Trader Joes chocolate covered chocolate chip dunkers. 10. Simply a 10.

Plus the assorted varieties of chips, bagel pieces etc. Something for everyone.

Go Joe!

refugee44

TJ's rocks

It's a must stop for me whenever possible. There is one in Annapolis, near the mall. My favorites:

Almond croissants
Dark chocolate covered caramels
Lobster bisque

jazz lady

~*~ Rara Avis ~*~
PREMO Member
refugee44 said:
It's a must stop for me whenever possible. There is one in Annapolis, near the mall.
:yeahthat: Great place. I love some of their specialty pasta mixes.

RangerJohn

Not to mention that Trader Joe's is the single distributor for Charles Shaw Wines...aka "Two Buck Chuck" I was introduced to these when I shopped at the Carmel Mtn Ranch Store in San Diego...and they are surprisingly good. Take off the label to fool the wine snobs....as Trader Joes once did, and they've actually won a couple of competitions

http://www.traderjoes.com/new/chuckshaw.asp

Now if they can only get a Trader Joes at Wildwood....

I

icebaby1111

Been to the one in Annapolis several times.

Definitely worth the stop. Mmmmm........

morganj614

RangerJohn said:
Not to mention that Trader Joe's is the single distributor for Charles Shaw Wines...aka "Two Buck Chuck" I was introduced to these when I shopped at the Carmel Mtn Ranch Store in San Diego...and they are surprisingly good. Take off the label to fool the wine snobs....as Trader Joes once did, and they've actually won a couple of competitions

http://www.traderjoes.com/new/chuckshaw.asp

Now if they can only get a Trader Joes at Wildwood....

The first time I found a Trader Joes was in Redondo Beach, California in 1988. I used to bring a carry on just to bring back stuff from that store. One as close as Wildewood would be great.

jwwb2000

pretty black roses
I LOVE Trade Joe's!!!! It is unfortunate they do not carry the beer/wine section here in Maryland :sad: I did get spoiled while living in San Diego and having one very close to where I lived.

virgovictoria

Tight Pants and Lipstick
PREMO Member
I shopped at Trader Joe's frequently while living in NoVA... They were the only ones that carried Smart Water when it first became popular... Not to mention all of the other fun/yummy/gourmet stuff...

CityGrl

Time for a nap
I actually walked into Trader Joe's for the first time last week. I loved the gourmet food and wine selection. They even had some yummy-looking stuffed salmon.

RangerJohn

jwwb2000 said:
I LOVE Trade Joe's!!!! It is unfortunate they do not carry the beer/wine section here in Maryland :sad: I did get spoiled while living in San Diego and having one very close to where I lived.

Wow! Another San Diegan in exile! Yeah I did get spoiled living in America's Finest City myself...I'll bet you are just salivating over the thought of a fish taco or a carne asada burrito. Or good Pho noodle soup. I had to go see the Friars up in RFK just so I could sit with all my fellow SoCal's.

Back on subject, although there are some extremely good wine shops closer to the beltway....but Trader Joe's has a huge collection....you could get a wide variety of wines for $5/$6/$7/$8 bucks a bottle...from Chile, France, Italy, Spain, Australia or even California....

Now I'm homesick

jwwb2000

pretty black roses
RangerJohn said:
Wow! Another San Diegan in exile! Yeah I did get spoiled living in America's Finest City myself...I'll bet you are just salivating over the thought of a fish taco or a carne asada burrito. Or good Pho noodle soup. I had to go see the Friars up in RFK just so I could sit with all my fellow SoCal's.

Back on subject, although there are some extremely good wine shops closer to the beltway....but Trader Joe's has a huge collection....you could get a wide variety of wines for $5/$6/$7/$8 bucks a bottle...from Chile, France, Italy, Spain, Australia or even California....

Now I'm homesick

I miss a California burrito from Javiar's and all the 'Berto stands :lol: But what I really miss is In and Out as well as Jack in the Box aka Jack in da Crack :lmao:

Triggerfish

jwwb2000 said:
I miss a California burrito from Javiar's and all the 'Berto stands :lol: But what I really miss is In and Out as well as Jack in the Box aka Jack in da Crack :lmao:

:lol:

I liked their buegers but their Mexican food I think was horrible.
I remember the E.coli incident in the early to mid 90s.

No Yoshinoya's around here either. I remember going there sometimes when I went shopping at Horton Plaza.

Last edited:

RangerJohn

Triggerfish said:
:lol:

I liked their buegers but their Mexican food I think was horrible.
I remember the E.coli incident in the early to mid 90s.

No Yoshinoya's around here either. I remember going there sometimes when I went shopping at Horton Plaza.

Yoshi was way overrated and not much value or taste. But you must have eaten your Mexican food at the chains....although extensive research found that if you went to any of the 'berto's taco stands (Roberto's, Alberto's, Filberto's, Royberto's, Gilberto's etcetra) if you went to one that was clean, well lighted, in a decent neighborhood and had an attractive girl at the counter...then the food was only so-so...however, if you were say in East San Diego or perhaps Encanto, or for the really adventurous...Barrio Logan...(near the Coronado Bridge leg that had the graffiti "Barrio Si, Yanquees No!") where there was some unshaven guy, missing a finger or two, behind bars and/or bullet proof glass....now those were some savory taco's and burrito's. And you had best be able to order in rapid Spanish "Tres carne asada tacos en uno carne asada burrito por favor!" If you were an anglo (like myself) most folks would think of you as a bad vatos locos and steer clear of you...just in case the Rolling 33's or the Piru's missed you with their automatic weapons.

Now a real treat was driving south of the border past Tijuana to the little village of Puerto Nuevo. All the Pacific lobster you can eat for about $8 bucks. However, the Washington Post once wrote about this and they raised the prices....dammit! :dead:

Triggerfish

RangerJohn said:
Yoshi was way overrated and not much value or taste.

I don't think I went there for the value but more for some nostalgia since I was born in Tokyo. I do remember the rice being a bit dry and having no MSG probably made it on the bland side.

I transfered to PAX river from Japan Jan of last year and while there Yoshinoyas was definately the most popular Japanese chain restaurant.

Oz

You're all F'in Mad...
I have a lady who cooks for me, and she mentioned that a Trader Joes or a Whole Foods Market would be a nice addition to Southern Maryland.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Oz said:
a Trader Joes or a Whole Foods Market would be a nice addition to Southern Maryland.
It would be a better addition to Frederick :biggrin:

Can I just be mean for a minute? When you go to Trader Joe's, you're met by clean-cut, pleasant, friendly, hard-working young people. And while SoMD has an abundance of substance abusers, gimme girls, teenage Lotharios and Bebe Drama Mamas, it's decidedly short on the kind of employee you associate with Trader Joe's.

No offense :peace: