Sabot Slugs

What do you use? I am going to be sighting in my shotgun soon w/ a new scope, and want to try different types of slugs to see what ones it likes the best. Any suggestions? I am leaning toward the core-locked (not copper solid) Remingtons, Winchester Partition or Lightfield slugs. Also thinking of going with 2 3/4" since I don't need the extra power of 3" when shooting in the woods. I figure I will get a couple boxes of a couple different types and then shoot for group and then sight in the shotgun with whichever ones give the best group. Don't like the Copper Solid since I have seen ones pulled out of deer that could almost be used for reloading due to non-expansion. Saw the same thing with a silver colored sabot that I assume was some sort of Winchester brand, but I don't know for sure.

AK-74me

"Typical White Person"
I have had good expansion with copper solids and out of the 5 deer I've killed with them the furthest ran 30-40 yds. and dropped dead. I've recoverd two of the slugs and both perform well, the others were pass throughs. I have not tried these but I hear alot of good things about Dixie Slugs. http://www.dixieslugs.com/

I think I will atleast try a couple boxes or so this year.

I don't know if you heard of them or not but alot of guys at some hunting forums I visit swear by them.

BTW, what shotgun are you using?

I have a 870 20" deer barrel with a fixed 4x simmons scope on it and i have had great accuracy out to about 125 yds with it.

Last edited:
AK-74me said:
BTW, what shotgun are you using?

I have a 870 20" deer barrel with a fixed 4x simmons scope on it and i have had great accuracy out to about 125 yds with it.
Same gun as you. Haven't set on optic choice yet. Leaning toward either a red dot or holo sight.

AK-74me

"Typical White Person"
huntr1 said:
Same gun as you. Haven't set on optic choice yet. Leaning toward either a red dot or holo sight.

Neither of those has any magnification right?

AK-74me said:
Neither of those has any magnification right?
Yes, and no. Most red dots have no magnification, but there is one on the market that is a 2x. The holo sights do not either. Where I hunt, I dont need magnification, want the sight to speed up the shot. Hate iron open sights, love the fiber optic ones, but the front sight on my barrel is not removable I don't believe.

Wickedwrench

Stubborn and opinionated
I have used the Winchester Super X 3" slugs for years now. Try many different types and see what holds the best pattern for you.

Wickedwrench

Stubborn and opinionated
huntr1 said:
That's the plan.
I shoot a Beretta A302 12 gauge with a Hastings cantilever rifled barrel. I'm the only one I know of that has luck with the Winchester slug. They do the job well though! Great expansion and clean knockdowns are never a problem.

Wickedwrench said:
I shoot a Beretta A302 12 gauge with a Hastings cantilever rifled barrel. I'm the only one I know of that has luck with the Winchester slug. They do the job well though! Great expansion and clean knockdowns are never a problem.
Wait a minute! You shoot rifled slugs (as in big hunks of lead, not sabots) thru a RIFLED barrel? I have always heard that the 2 riflings would completely eff up the ballistics of the shot, throwing the slugs all over the place.

Wickedwrench

Stubborn and opinionated
huntr1 said:
Wait a minute! You shoot rifled slugs (as in big hunks of lead, not sabots) thru a RIFLED barrel? I have always heard that the 2 riflings would completely eff up the ballistics of the shot, throwing the slugs all over the place.
:lol: No, I use the jacketed sabot with great results out to about 150 yards. I only wish I had gone with that barrel when I had first took up the sport as I would have had some monstrous wall hangers by now.

I still cuss to think about all those years with smooth barrels and missed shots.:burning:

Cletus_Vandam

A friend of mine that does A LOT of hunting told me to try Brenneke K.O. sabot slugs. He said their grouping was awesome.

I plan on trying them in my new 870 this fall.

Wickedwrench

Stubborn and opinionated
Kinda still on topic

I was in the Tackle Box the other day and heard the workers there complaining about the state of MD allowing hunters to check in their deer online this year.:confused: Anyone else heard about this yet?

Wickedwrench said:
I was in the Tackle Box the other day and heard the workers there complaining about the state of MD allowing hunters to check in their deer online this year.:confused: Anyone else heard about this yet?
I know you can buy your license online this year. Don't know about the online check-in.

Fishn Guy

That's Dr. Fishn to you..
huntr1 said:
Yes, and no. Most red dots have no magnification, but there is one on the market that is a 2x. The holo sights do not either. Where I hunt, I dont need magnification, want the sight to speed up the shot. Hate iron open sights, love the fiber optic ones, but the front sight on my barrel is not removable I don't believe.
I have a red dot I'm going to throw over a bridge if anyone wants it.. Those things are crap.