ID this bug/ant

crabcake

But wait, there's more...
I could've sworn someone on here recently mentioned a similiar-looking ant/bug creature but couldn't find it when I searched. Nonetheless, WTH is this? :confused: It's got an ant-shaped body, but bigger, and it's red with black stripes on it.

Attachments

• red bug.jpg
    red bug.jpg
    41.3 KB · Views: 224

Agee

crabcake said:
I could've sworn someone on here recently mentioned a similiar-looking ant/bug creature but couldn't find it when I searched. Nonetheless, WTH is this? :confused: It's got an ant-shaped body, but bigger, and it's red with black stripes on it.
Hard to tell, but it appears to be the very rare "Blurry Ant"

crabcake said:
My brother would be quick to tell me it's a starving brain-sucker...:ohwell:

baileydog

I wanna be a SMIB
crabcake said:

It appears to be a big, ugly, nasty bug that needs a size 13 shoe to stomp on it. UGH! :dead:

BuddyLee

Football addict
They're nickname is the 'cow killer'. I believe it's the females that 'scream', yes scream. I only know this because I had to collect bugs for my 8th grade science project. We found one of these and while my mother and I were pinning it to the board it woke up from it's freezer slumber and started screaming.:yikes:

K_Jo

Pea Brain
PREMO Member
BuddyLee said:
They're nickname is the 'cow killer'. I believe it's the female that 'scream', yes scream. I only know this because I had to collect bugs for my 8th grade science project. We found one of these and while my mother and I were pinning it to the board it woke up from it's freezer slumber and started screaming.:yikes:
:liar:

G

geminigrl

BuddyLee said:
They're nickname is the 'cow killer'. I believe it's the females that 'scream', yes scream. I only know this because I had to collect bugs for my 8th grade science project. We found one of these and while my mother and I were pinning it to the board it woke up from it's freezer slumber and started screaming.:yikes:
http://www.tommyspest.com/img77.gif Cow killer ant.:yay:

itsbob

I bowl overhand
crabcake said:
Pick it up, if it stings the Fcck out of you, then it's a fire ant.. if not, I have no clue..

BuddyLee

Football addict

Velvet Ant, Dasymutilla sp

http://www.thegreenacresranch.com/images/critters/velvetant.png

These densely hairy, brightly colored insects are actually wasps that look like large ants. They get their name from the many fine hairs that cover their body. The wingless females can inflict a sting so painful it has earned the nickname "cow killer." Winged males have a menacing appearance but are harmless. Although the most extreme pain effects dissipate quickly, some pain and swelling may last for several hours. Some individuals may be allergic to this insect's sting.​

The flightless females, which are often encountered while wandering on the ground, especially resemble ants. Velvet ants range in size from 1/8 inch to one inch, with great variation within species. Velvet ants look like miniature walking cotton balls. One variety, D. gloriosa, has been described as a "creosote seed with legs" due to its white, thistledown-like hairs. Red, orange, yellow, black or white bristle-like hairs, known as setae, cover the entire body.

Males have wings but no stingers, while females have stingers but lack wings. The heavy, deeply pitted integument (outer covering of body) functions as a suit of armor and can only be penetrated with

Velvet ants are active during the day. They retreat from high ground temperatures in the middle of the day by burrowing under debris or climbing into plants. Nectar is their preferred food. Velvet ants are active from April through November, depending upon local climate. If you see a walking velvet ant, you can be assured that it is a female.
Notes

The earliest known velvet ants come from 25 to 40-million-year-old amber found in the Dominican Republic. When harassed, and during mating, velvet ants produce an audible squeak. Velvet ants are also known as "cow killers" or "mule killers" because of their extremely painful sting. Like all wasps, they can sting multiple times. Because of their armor-like exoskeleton and painful sting, few if any animals consume this conspicuous wasp.

http://www.thegreenacresranch.com/Pages/wildlifecreatures.html

Mikeinsmd

crabcake said:
That is your "Velvet Ant" :diva:

Attachments

• velant.JPG
    velant.JPG
    31.2 KB · Views: 105

BuddyLee

Football addict
appyday said:
BL you are so full of crap :lmao: What grade did you get on that bug report?? :confused:
I swear! I forget what grade I got on the bug project, we had an ass for a science teacher. I think he gave me a 'B' because I didn't get some of the smaller bugs in a particular part of their anatomy with the needle.

Triggerfish

It sure looks like a cow killer. Even though the pic is very blurry it's definately not a fire ant. The coloring is way off. In Orlando where I grew up there were a lot of fire ants. It's one of the most common if not the most common.