Flounder?

fishinfool

Among other things
Has anyone had any luck catching good numbers or good sized flounder anywhere this summer? If so, what's working where?

Wickedwrench

Stubborn and opinionated
My normal spot on the Patuxent has yet to give up any flounder this year.:bawl: In years past we caught plenty of flounder there. Granted that you'd have to throw 10 back for every one you could keep but at least they were around.

I've heard they're hard to find this year. The only time I went out to around bouy 74 we had no bites. Pretty unusual and conditions were perfect.

AK-74me

"Typical White Person"
My Dad has fished in this area since the early 70's and he caught the biggest flounder of his life about a week ago. He was jiggin' just up the river from Point Patience on the St. Mary's side. Nice fat 25 incher. He usually only bottom fishes there for spot and croaker but thought he would try jiggin for some trout, ended up with something much better. I think it was just pure luck as in years past the best spots have been across the the bay closer to the eastern shore.

Maybe they are few and far between but there must be some nice ones around.

D

dems4me

I caught one once a few years back that was between 18-20 inches... I think it was near Wiccomacko (sp?) River...I was fishing for cat fish with a bottom rig and thought it was tugging funny and I reeled it in and quickly dropped my pole back in the water after screaming at it because it scared me ... I'd never seen one of these before and it freaked me out because the eyes were on the same side of the head. Luckily I was with a friend and they told me it was ok... I'd sworn it was some sea monstor I'd dredged up. :whack: I then ended up releasing it back into the water in pursuit of more fish...
A few hours later, I had another bite and a fish on my line and a tug, tug, tugg... ... I was reeling it in... I just KNEW it was a big un'. My friend got the camcorder turned on and warmed up awaiting this fish. I proceeded to give it some slack, didn't want to break my line... wanted to wear it out and then I finally pulled it up and out of thw water. It was a freakn' fish carcuss :crazy: It was nothing but bones, you couldn't even see what kind of fish it was... I joked that maybe I reeled it in way too fast.... smoked it... :lol: and off went the camcorder... I don't think I've been back since, but roudaboutedly... I think there's big flounder by the Wiccomicoko (sp?). :lol:

PJay

Caught my first and last flounder in the Bay some years ago. Had no idea what it was, thought it was ugly and wanted to throw it back till someone told me what it was. Suddenly and wildly I screamed "I caught a flounder!!" Other boaters around at the time all laughed and cheered me. :blushing: