I am putting down my dog

ocean733

I have to put my dog down tomorrow.

She is a trooper - she has outlived her babies, who have died from old age.

Does anyone have a thought or a prayer that I could read/recite? I have never done this and I want to make sure that I put her down with honors.

Tina2001aniT

ocean733 said:

Does anyone have a thought or a prayer that I could read/recite? I have never done this and I want to make sure that I put her down with honors.
:huggy: I am sure this was a hard decision to make :huggy:

ocean733

Tina2001aniT said:
:huggy: I am sure this was a hard decision to make :huggy:
Yes. Her hips are so bad that she can't hold herself up to squat. She can't go up or down stairs. She can't even stand without assistance. We were holding on because she has some good days - and, we love her so much that we just wanted to hold on. But now I think she's in too much pain.

Thanks for the thought.:huggy:

virgovictoria

Tight Pants and Lipstick
PREMO Member
ocean733 said:

Ocean,

I feel that it takes a trememdous amount of courage to do the right thing for our loved ones... I cannot even imagine how you must feel, I only know that you are, in part, giving her honor by giving her peace.

Supportive thoughts are streaming your way... :huggy:

VV

PrepH4U

ocean733 said:

I know how hard this is on you and I am so sorry and my heart aches for you. Ocean, I don't have a poem/prayer for you to recite to her but, I do have a poem she would give to you if she could.
From a Grateful Dog

You're giving me a special gift,
So sorrowfully endowed,
And through these last few cherished days,
Your courage makes me proud.

But really, love is knowing
When your best friend is in pain,
And understanding earthly acts
Will only be in vain.

So looking deep into your eyes,
Beyond, into your soul,
I see in you the magic that will
Once more make me whole.

The strength that you possess,
Is why I look to you today,
To do this thing that must be done,
For it's the only way.

That strength is why I've followed you,
And chose you as my friend,
And why I've loved you all these years...
My partner till the end.

Please, understand just what this gift
You're giving, means to me,
It gives me back the strength I've lost,
And all my dignity.

You take a stand on my behalf,
For that is what friends do.
And know that what you do is right,
For I believe it, too.

So one last time, I breathe your scent,
And through your hand I feel,
The courage that's within you,
To grant me this appeal.

Cut the leash that holds me here,
Dear friend, and let me run,
Once more a strong and steady dog,
My pain and struggle done.

And don't despair my passing,
For I won't be far away,
Forever here, within your heart,
And memory I'll stay.

I'll be there watching over you,
Your ever-faithful friend,
And in your memories I'll run,
... a young dog once again.

I'm so sorry!! :huggy: I have been there, it is a hard thing to do, but when they are ready to go, it is the only humane thing to do and I have to think that they are thankful when you are able to say goodbye and hug them on their way out of this life. Just tell them how grateful you were for their company and all that they gave to you. I'm starting to cry just writing this. Stay strong. My thoughts are with you and your puppy.

jazz lady

~*~ Rara Avis ~*~
PREMO Member
ocean733 said:
Her hips are so bad that she can't hold herself up to squat. She can't go up or down stairs. She can't even stand without assistance. We were holding on because she has some good days - and, we love her so much that we just wanted to hold on. But now I think she's in too much pain.
:huggy: It's a very tough decision to have to make, but you have to think of THEM first. When the pain has become too much for them to bear and the quality of life has deteriorated to such a point, you have to let them go.

I had to put my two dogs down within 6 months of each other (15 and 16 years old) several years ago for the same reasons as you and it was the toughest thing I've ever had to do in my life. Just remember the good times and all the love you shared. They will always live on in your heart. :huggy:

ocean733

Thank you so much, everyone.

I am honestly not looking for sympathy - I just want to make sure that I do this right.

Your sentiments are great.

PrepH4U: I printed out your poem. :huggy:

jazz lady

~*~ Rara Avis ~*~
PREMO Member
PrepH4U said:
I'll be there watching over you,
Your ever-faithful friend,
And in your memories I'll run,
... a young dog once again.
This poem always makes me cry. :bawl:

B

brownjunk

I was with my Mom when she had to put her companion Sandy down. It was terrible, but we all knew we were sparing her more pain. I'm sorry for your loss.

HorseLady

Painted Spirit
ocean733 said:

We had to put down a horse my husband owned for almost 20 yrs. We knew in our hearts it was time - she was starting to decline rapidly. We were able to plan ahead and had a suitable site for her to be buried and we could still "visit" with her. At least we could prepare everything and not be caught in the middle of the night with a emergency vet call. It was the hardest thing we have ever done. Just thinking about it brings chills. It was the right thing to do for her but she is awfully missed. You won't know how it is going to hit you until you are there at the end but it is the best way to honor your friend. You are right to want to have a poem or something to say to remind yourself of the good days and that it is time to say - "Until we meet again". I wish you courage tomorrow.

Sharon

Staff member
PREMO Member
ocean733 said:

Try here http://www.dogheaven.com/about.htm there's plenty of stuff to choose from; or just cruise the site to help ease your pain. :huggy:

The oldie but goodie "Rainbow Bridge" is a real tearjerker.

KCM

Right Where I Belong
Ocean I am so sorry about your dog. I have been in your shoes and I know it must have been a hard decision.:huggy:

Oz

You're all F'in Mad...
A Dog's Plea

Treat me kindly, my beloved friend, for no heart in all the world is more grateful for kindness than the loving heart of me.

Do not break my spirit with a stick, for though I should lick your hand between blows, your patience and understanding will more quickly teach me the things you would have me learn.

Speak to me often, for your voice is the world's sweetest music, as you must know by the fierce wagging of my tail when your footstep falls upon my waiting ear.

Please take me inside when it is cold and wet, for I am a domesticated animal, no longer accustomed to bitter elements. I ask no greater glory than the privelege of sitting at your feet beside the hearth.

Keep my pan filled with fresh water, for I cannot tell you when I hunger for thirst.

Feed me clean food that I may stay well, to romp and play and do your bidding, to walk by your side and stand ready, willing and able to protect you with my life, should your life ever be in danger.

And, my friend, when I am very old, and I no longer enjoy good health, hearing and sight, do not make heroic efforts to keep me going. I am not having any fun. Please see that my trusting life is taken gently. I shall leave this earth knowing with the last breath I draw that my fate was always safest in your hands.

StarCat

I am so sorry about your dog. I had to put my cat down 2 years ago, it was the hardest thing ive ever had to do. It still hurts, but it does get easier to deal with. Take care.

Railroad

Routinely Derailed
Lady lives on in your memory, and her influence on your life is undeniable; what a blessing she has been to you! She goes to a better place now, and she'll be there waiting for you when you arrive. God bless you for your love of Lady and the strength you've shown in taking care of her.