House Questions

pixiegirl

Cleopatra Jones
I have a few questions about houses.

1) Do cathedral ceilings impact heating/cooling at all?

2) Wood siding, true wood siding. How hard is it to paint? How often does it need to be done? Is thier special paint for this and if so does it come in any other color choices then the nasty poo brown you always see?

pixiegirl said:

2) Wood siding, true wood siding. How hard is it to paint? How often does it need to be done? Is thier special paint for this and if so does it come in any other color choices then the nasty poo brown you always see?

(1) Install a ceiling fan and it will help. Cathedral ceilings will increase the amount of heating cooling required, but not TOO much I'd think as long as you had the fan (to circulate the air down to where you can feel it)

(2) Any exterior paint will work on wood siding. Latex or oil, doesn't matter, they'll both work. Just as with interior paint, exterior can be tinted any color. Now you can have that "eggplant pimp purple" with zebra striped trim house of your dreams!

pixiegirl

Cleopatra Jones
huntr1 said:
(1) Install a ceiling fan and it will help. Cathedral ceilings will increase the amount of heating cooling required, but not TOO much I'd think as long as you had the fan (to circulate the air down to where you can feel it)

(2) Any exterior paint will work on wood siding. Latex or oil, doesn't matter, they'll both work. Just as with interior paint, exterior can be tinted any color. Now you can have that "eggplant pimp purple" with zebra striped trim house of your dreams!

But I was hoping for "hot pink" with "blind me orange" polka dots. Don't you think that would have the "hey look at me" effect I so desire?

pixiegirl said:
But I was hoping for "hot pink" with "blind me orange" polka dots. Don't you think that would have the "hey look at me" effect I so desire?
In that case, you can have your house wrapped, just like a car. May I suggest a picture of your new puppies? That'll certainly get the neighbor's attention.

House in the neighborhood I grew up in was painted maroon and day-glo gold, just about needed sunglasses to look at it. Another had bright pink shutters on a dark brick house.:barf:

pixiegirl said:
You have given out too much Reputation in the last 24 hours, try again later.
I tried to give you green to no avail.

pixiegirl

Cleopatra Jones
huntr1 said:
In that case, you can have your house wrapped, just like a car. May I suggest a picture of your new puppies? That'll certainly get the neighbor's attention.

House in the neighborhood I grew up in was painted maroon and day-glo gold, just about needed sunglasses to look at it. Another had bright pink shutters on a dark brick house.:barf:

I LOVE driving down to Northern Neck. You have some old country ghetto houses on the way through that are a riot to look at. A huge old farm house that's neon green, a rambler that bright arse purple with black trim, another rambler with dayglow blue shutters. They all make me giggle.

The particular house I'm looking at has that siding that looks like a log cabin, rounded and horizontal. I wonder how it would look painted. I just can't decide. I did see a house that had a very light colored wood siding that was very knotty (sp?). I'd never seen wood siding like that and I liked it.

pixiegirl

Cleopatra Jones
I find this threatning and you've been reported.

First, try getting rid of those kids eating murderous dogs you have. Shoot'em . Do us a favor. Better yet, let me do it. A Pit or Rot that crosses my yard is as good as dead. I've already shot two pit bulls.

pixiegirl said:
I LOVE driving down to Northern Neck. You have some old country ghetto houses on the way through that are a riot to look at. A huge old farm house that's neon green, a rambler that bright arse purple with black trim, another rambler with dayglow blue shutters. They all make me giggle.

The particular house I'm looking at has that siding that looks like a log cabin, rounded and horizontal. I wonder how it would look painted. I just can't decide. I did see a house that had a very light colored wood siding that was very knotty (sp?). I'd never seen wood siding like that and I liked it.
Why would you paint siding that is supposed to look like logs? Why not stain them to look like redwood or cedar if you want some color other than brown?

pixiegirl said:

First, try getting rid of those kids eating murderous dogs you have. Shoot'em . Do us a favor. Better yet, let me do it. A Pit or Rot that crosses my yard is as good as dead. I've already shot two pit bulls.
Just for the record, I did NOT send that.

crabcake

But wait, there's more...
huntr1 said:
Why would you paint siding that is supposed to look like logs? Why not stain them to look like redwood or cedar if you want some color other than brown?
:yeahthat: :clap: That'd be really pretty!

nomoney

pixiegirl said:

what a sick effer. when you find out who did it; please fill me in so I can stay as far away as possible. TIA.

Chasey_Lane

Salt Life
pixiegirl said:

You didn't tell me you had kid-eating murderous dogs, Pix! Got any footage of it? :snacks:

crabcake

But wait, there's more...
pixiegirl said:
First, try getting rid of those kids eating murderous dogs you have.
I've never seen N or G eat murderous dogs. :confused: They must have your kids confused with someone else's kids at the Mongolian BBQ. :ohwell:

pixiegirl

Cleopatra Jones
Psa

It was ladybug2004. Watch out for this one boys and girls comes on as sugar and spice but is really your next BTK.

nomoney

pixiegirl said:
It was ladybug2004. Watch out for this one boys and girls comes on as sugar and spice but is really your next BTK.

she's given me karma too, something about me having a dirty house :sad: It really made me upset. That hooker.

:lol:

sleuth

Livin' Like Thanksgivin'
pixiegirl said:

I have cathedral ceilings in half of my split level...
I can tell you I notice a very definite difference in the temperature of the upstairs portion and the living room, where the vaulted ceilings are.

It's hard to heat the living room in the winter because heat rises.
And it's hard to cool the bedrooms in the summer because cold sinks.
Ceiling fans help a little, but not noticably in my opinion.

And the idjit who built my home put the thermostat on the upstairs, where it's always going to be warmer than downstairs. :tantrum

You might consider 2-zone heating if you have more than one level and can afford it.

sleuth said:
I have cathedral ceilings in half of my split level...
I can tell you I notice a very definite difference in the temperature of the upstairs portion and the living room, where the vaulted ceilings are.

It's hard to heat the living room in the winter because heat rises.
And it's hard to cool the bedrooms in the summer because cold sinks.
Ceiling fans help a little, but not noticably in my opinion.

And the idjit who built my home put the thermostat on the upstairs, where it's always going to be warmer than downstairs. :tantrum

You might consider 2-zone heating if you have more than one level and can afford it.
Do you reverse the rotation of the fans? Have them blow UP in winter and DOWN in summer. We were able to raise our thermostat to 75 an still be quite comfortable with the fan blowing down, as opposed to 72 with it blowing up.

feelingbad

pixiegirl said:

Pixie -

I joined just to tell you that it wasn't me (ladybug2004) who sent you that nasty karma. I already wrote to deejay, forum admin to let them know as well. Seems one of my coworkers here has been going onto my computer and leisurely writing messages to more than just you. I am really a nice person and deeply apologize for any comments that were made to you or anyone else on this forum. I had no idea until today she was doing this. Since I signed onto this forum I have let her read some of the threads with me and if I left my desk she would click around the site and laugh, when I got back telling me of some of the things she had read on here. I have really enjoyed reading and chatting with all of you. I have confronted her with this today and now I'm the one who has to pay the price for being stupid enough to trust a coworker and have all of you think I'm this type of person.
Anyway, pixie (and anyone else who received nasty karma like this) please except my apologizes. I have nothing against you or your dogs. It really upsets me that this happened but all I can do is apologize for her actions and for my dumbness of trusting her.

pixiegirl

Cleopatra Jones
feelingbad said:
Pixie -

I joined just to tell you that it wasn't me (ladybug2004) who sent you that nasty karma. I already wrote to deejay, forum admin to let them know as well. Seems one of my coworkers here has been going onto my computer and leisurely writing messages to more than just you. I am really a nice person and deeply apologize for any comments that were made to you or anyone else on this forum. I had no idea until today she was doing this. Since I signed onto this forum I have let her read some of the threads with me and if I left my desk she would click around the site and laugh, when I got back telling me of some of the things she had read on here. I have really enjoyed reading and chatting with all of you. I have confronted her with this today and now I'm the one who has to pay the price for being stupid enough to trust a coworker and have all of you think I'm this type of person.
Anyway, pixie (and anyone else who received nasty karma like this) please except my apologizes. I have nothing against you or your dogs. It really upsets me that this happened but all I can do is apologize for her actions and for my dumbness of trusting her.

Damn. Watch out for psycho co-workers. :dead: