video of Porsche on track

T

tikipirate

Are you a Porsche fan?

I grew up in Detroit, one mile from the GM Tech Center. GM tried to control their employees, but there were always the die-hard Porsche fans, and GM HATED it!!! One of my friends (now deceased...was awarded his PhD from University of Michigan posthumously) bought a brand F-ing new Porsche 930 and GM made him park it almost a mile away from his office. (It was blue...fat fenders...Gawd!!!)

One day when I was a kid (mid 70's) my dad and I were driving down Martin Road (11 and 1/2 mile) just outside of the GM Tech Center on a rainy Saturday about noon when someone driving a Porsche 917 came roaring up and passed us. That's right, a 917, in Gulf blue with a bundle of pipes sticking out the ass. Good god, we were living in the era of free cheese being thrown out of army trucks. I was just passed by a freaking 917! Who was the person who could afford that in the mid-70s? Back then I was all about the (original Holman and Moody) GT40. And the Chaparral. But I would have liked to pull him over and admire the 917...

Methinks that back in those days the 917 was not appreciated enough to cost anything. But everyone loves cheese.

Petter Solberg

The 917 series is one of my favorites. I saw many of them at an event called the Rennsport Reunion up at Limerock Park a few years ago. They truely are an awesome machine.

Attachments

• 917 Martini.jpg
    917 Martini.jpg
    59.3 KB · Views: 154