Snakes in the yard

Cheetah

Outside of keeping all brush trimmed back, leaves, yard waste, woodpiles, trash, etc. away from the house, are there any other preventive measures or products to make sure the slimy creatures stay away from right outside of the house?  Have not yet had an encounter, and do not want to.

Sharon

Staff member
PREMO Member
There is a product called Snake-Away that you could try.  I've never used it so I have no idea if it works.  Garden Snakes are harmless and Black Snakes actually eat Copper Heads, so they're not all bad.  But if you just hate snakes and would rather not see them, Snake-Away is supposed to be a deterrent.

http://www.bugspray.com/catalog/products/page98.html

You could move to Maui, there are no snakes there! :smile:

Frank

Chairman of the Board
I've sometimes wondered why my neighbors all have moles, and I don't. And then I realize - I have an outdoor cat. Aside from the fact that moles are very easy prey for a cat, and that I've seen her nail one that I didn't notice - the property *smells* like her (being human, I don't notice, but other animals do). Snakes have a very keen sense of smell/taste (and hearing - their eyesight is horrible). I imagine it's a matter of finding out what animal they'll stay away from.

Cheetah

I did pick up some snake away and put it in some of their favorite hiding spots in my garage.  I also took the liberty of fixing the garage door rubber stripping so they can't sneak in that way.  

GRAVES30

you have the bigest part of keeping away snakes by keeping the yard clean but another thing that is important is to make sure you dont have any standing water any where.  they like the moisture and need to drink. check under the house in the crawl space for standing water as well. exspecialy after a good rain that will give you the best idea if and how much water ther may be. some one else said black snakes are not to bad that is very true not only do they eat other snakes and mice, but try to remember they are more afraid of you if you encounter any snake stand very still then begin to slowly back away the snake will brobably run first exspecialy black snakes good luck any other questions just ask

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
In winter the cat's going to need shelter and you can't expect it to be cooped up in a shed for several months.  No wonder the cat babe had a heart attack.

Your hunter cat will kill birds - it's what they do.  They ignore you when you tell them to just kill moles and nothing else.

Please don't get a cat - it sounds like that's not the right solution for you.  Go to the garden center and see if they have some scent-thing that will run off the moles.

GRAVES30

I HAVE TO SAY IT SOUNDS LIKE vraiblonde  IS RIGHT A CAT IS NOT YOUR SALUTION EXSPECIALY IF YOU LIKE BIRDS. A CAT WILL BECOME AN ANOINCE AND NOT HELP TRY GOING TO SOUTHERN STATES AND GET A MOLE TRAP WATCH WHERE THE EARTH HAS BEEN RAISED AND PUT THE TRAP ALONG THE PATH THE MOLE WILL TRAVEL BACK THAT WAY AND YOU WILL HAVE HIM. ONLY GET A CAT IF YOU ARE A CAT LOVER AND ARE WILLING TO HAVE THE CAT INSIDE WITH YOU THROUGH THE WINTER MONTHS.   ONLY A SUGESTION OF COURSE WHAT EVER YOU DECIDE GOOD LUCK.

Ken King

A little rusty but not crusty
PREMO Member
For ridding moles there are also ultrasonic devices that claim to work.  Should be able to locate a device for about $30 and then you won't have to worry about taking care of a cat.  Check online or a Southern States store or any that deal with landscaping/yardcare items.

If you keep an outdoor cat your neighbors might feel they have a feral cat in the area.  Anyone remember the discussion on feral cats?

SxyPrincess

The ultrasonic devices work however, you must locate the main inhabitant part of the ground the moles dwell in most--which can be a little tricky.  I suggest some type of castor/mineral oil.  It's less expensive and would probably do just as good.

jazz lady

~*~ Rara Avis ~*~
PREMO Member
Just don't do what one lady did in Calvert to try to kill a snake - she poured gasoline on it and lit it on fire.  It promptly crawled under the house and burnt it down!  :shocked:

Hello6

Princess of Mean
Do you people want to be overrun with bugs? What's with this obsession with killing snakes and spiders, they eat the peskier critters. Learn to live peacefully with them.

cattitude

My Sweetest Boy
Spiders are EVERYWHERE this time of year. I have webs beside almost everyone of my outside lights. I wouldn't worry about spiders outside of your house....but I don't really want them inside.

Pete

Repete
My place is the typical snake haven. Mr. Poulan and Mr. Craftsman and I have been working to make my yard less snake friendly. With my little man plundering through the bushes and such it was my first priority. I have begun to take out trees and brush. I have a wet weather stream that runs through the back yard with tons of frogs. The frogs are free to stay but the snakes are not invited to the party. The previous owner said they saw 1 snake in the 6 years they lived there, that means he probably walked past 100 he didn't notice. If al else fails I have a 12ga solution. Hope Hollywood doesn't have a firearms discharge ordinance, if they do can I pre-pay the fine?

F

Flo

Several here don't agree with having an outdoor cat. I have tried to bring our outdoor cat in...she won't have anything to do with that! She is happy to stay outdoors. I have never witnessed her kill a bird or rabbit. I have a bird feeder near the deck, and was concerned when she first arrived on our doorstep. The birds aren't afraid of her, as they are on the ground at times. I have watched her from the kitchen window at times when she didn't know I was looking, and she has never approached them. The only antics I have seen her do is poking her paw down a mole hole, and playfully jumping around. I feed her twice a day (early morning around 5 a.m. and late evening when I get home). During the day she sleeps and as I still have an array of birds on my birdfeeder and feeding also on the ground, I assume they do not feel threatened.

Last winter I was concerned with the cold, snowy weather we had, and like I said, I tried to get her in the house. She had a hiss-fit, so I can't see bringing her in the house. She has a couple of garages she goes in and being an outdoor cat, she has a survival mode, and she knows she gets fed well.

As for being feral, I have no worries about that. She pretty much I think knows she has it good, and she doesn't stray any more.

FancyBelle

I'm 2 old 2 die young!
lkt said:
moth balls
:yeahthat:
Absolutely!! Moth balls keep snakes out from under houses, sheds and wood piles. I was about to reply when lkt beat me to it. That's been a standing remedy for 100 yrs!!