The future of GM, FORD and CHRYSLER?

tirdun

staring into the abyss
I've got one. It gets 22mpg and takes care of all my hauling/towing needs.

I think GM is trying to make money by getting people into GMAC financing. If it means a short term bloodbath, they don't seem to care. I expect it will fail and GM will find itself laying off thousands in the near term. They simply don't have any depth to their car line.

D/C/Jeep is making money, but barely. Although Jeep has intro'd a new ginormous SUV (Commander?) at the wrong time. I'm sure it started development back in the heyday of big trucks, now they're stuck with it.

Ford is trying very hard to be GM, instead of trying to be Honda/Toyota. I have no idea why.

Last edited:

Bustem' Down

Give Peas a Chance
But all of those companies are currently working on full sized hybrid trucks and SUV's so I'm not sure there's much to worry about. Ford already has a hybrid suv on the market.

Goofing_Off

Nupe2 said:
Anybody looking for an SUV? Oh and by the way, Ford, GM and Chrysler had better wake up...read on: http://acarisnotarefrigerator.com/Article_Evan_091_20050901.htm
Well, the writer's assumption that the rest of the country follows the trends of LA is a bit off-base. Trucks will continue to be popular in rural areas, because they're needed, regardless of the type of gas mileage they get. However, Detroit is indeed going to need to start focusing on fuel efficiency in its vehicles, regardless if they are trucks, cars, minivans, etc. I certainly wouldn't be buying a big, inefficient SUV with these prices, and will be looking for fuel efficiency when I buy my next car. It's a shame that the American car industry is in such dire straits.

Tonio

Asperger's Poster Child
Maybe the American auto makers prefer SUVs because the profit margin per vehicle is higher on an SUV than on a compact.

aps45819

24/7 Single Dad
Tonio said:
Maybe the American auto makers prefer SUVs because the profit margin per vehicle is higher on an SUV than on a compact.
I think it's because americans prefer to buy/drive a tank so they feel safe instead of developing the skills needed to feel comfortable in any vehical.

marianne

Tonio said:

Is the profit margin really higher on SUVs? I see dealers offering rebates below invoice on SUVs while there's a wait list of folks willing to pay retail for hybrids. I think the American auto makers have spend so much time, energy, and $ creating a demand for and developing large SUVs they've just got themselves in a bad situation -- REALLY bad if they don't change their ways SOON.

ACESRT04

THE OTHER
Bustem' Down said:
But all of those companies are currently working on full sized hybrid trucks and SUV's so I'm not sure there's much to worry about. Ford already has a hybrid suv on the market.
I was watching an autoshow a few weeks back where GM started their hybrid program on the very large trucks and busses. They are going to keep scaling down this technology into the 2500 and 3500 then finally down to the 1500 and smaller trucks. The way their plan was laid out showed they were really putting a lot of thought and planning into it. But like so many have said before too little too late.

smilin

BOXER NATION
Profit

Tonio said:
The profit margin on SUVs and Pickemups has always been much higher than cars. Some cars are even sold at a loss just so the car makers can meet the cafe mileage ratings.

itsbob

I bowl overhand
Bustem' Down said:
Which company makes that "Ford". Mazda or Mitsubishi!??

itsbob

I bowl overhand
ACESRT04 said:
I was watching an autoshow a few weeks back where GM started their hybrid program on the very large trucks and busses. They are going to keep scaling down this technology into the 2500 and 3500 then finally down to the 1500 and smaller trucks. The way their plan was laid out showed they were really putting a lot of thought and planning into it. But like so many have said before too little too late.
It's not Ford or GM doing that work, they are both borrowing from "shared technology" developed by Uncle Sam.. there are a lot biger hybrid vehicles out there then that, and they've been tested for years..

B

Bruzilla

The Ford Escape Hybrid SUV has been a bust down here in the south. If you use the a/c there isn't enough power to run the car, so the engine pretty much runs 100% of the time.