looking for personal experience/advice

bresamil

wandering aimlessly
Here's the situation. I need a vehicle that can carry 5 people (3 adult sized and two children) and a motorized wheelchair with oxygen unit. Most of the standard 5 seaters - Explorers, etc do no have the correct cargo proportions for that wheelchair and are very cramped in the back seat.
I was going to buy a Suburban but those gas prices! :yikes:
Can't do a minivan because the back seat would have to be removed to accomodate the wheelchair which leaves us with seating for only 4, not 5. (minivans second row is either short bench or 2 captains)
Anyone living this right now that has a good vehicle option or will I have to go Suburban and choose between gas or groceries each week?

bresamil

wandering aimlessly
Yeah but they get just about the same gas mileage as a Suburban. The Suburban is 13-15 and the Savana is 14-16. I don't see any benefits. :shrug:

SeaRide

bresamil said:
Here's the situation. I need a vehicle that can carry 5 people (3 adult sized and two children) and a motorized wheelchair with oxygen unit. Most of the standard 5 seaters - Explorers, etc do no have the correct cargo proportions for that wheelchair and are very cramped in the back seat.
I was going to buy a Suburban but those gas prices! :yikes:
Can't do a minivan because the back seat would have to be removed to accomodate the wheelchair which leaves us with seating for only 4, not 5. (minivans second row is either short bench or 2 captains)
Anyone living this right now that has a good vehicle option or will I have to go Suburban and choose between gas or groceries each week?

I am not sure if I understand what you 're trying to say. Right off my head, I was thinking wheelchair being put on the hitch thing in the back of any vehicle you do desire to have.

Why do you HAVE to jam the motorized wheelchair INSIDE the vehicle?

There are many different configurations for wheelchair carriers out there on the market.

I just googled and picked one for you to check it out.
http://www.discountramps.com/vhms.htm

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Look at the Toyota Sequoia - we can fit 3 adults comfortably in the second seat row, with gobs of room in the cargo area, or you can put in the third row of seats to fit another three passengers with less cargo room. We must have test-driven every large SUV out there and this was the only one that had the room we needed.

CMC122

Go Braves!
bresamil said:
Yeah but they get just about the same gas mileage as a Suburban. The Suburban is 13-15 and the Savana is 14-16. I don't see any benefits. :shrug:
You just don't want to drive anything with the word "van" in it:lol:

bresamil

wandering aimlessly
SeaRide said:
Why do you HAVE to jam the motorized wheelchair INSIDE the vehicle?

There are many different configurations for wheelchair carriers out there on the market.

I just googled and picked one for you to check it out.
http://www.discountramps.com/vhms.htm
My reasoning was foul weather travel. Too much exposure will limit the life of the chair and, as we have to get the chair through Medicare, it can only be replaced every 5-7 years.
There are also lifts that will put the chair on the top of the vehicle.

bresamil

wandering aimlessly
CMC122 said:
You just don't want to drive anything with the word "van" in it:lol:
Actually for 15 years I had a conversion van. They are wretched driving in foul weather. Comfortable and roomy, certainly, but poor traction and they steer worse than a bus. I actually took a friends conversion van over and tried to put the wheelchair in with the 3rd seat in place - it was a NO GO.

Went on a trip in a stow and go van. That almost sold me for myself and the kids. Dad and his gear, however, would not fit.

bresamil

wandering aimlessly
vraiblonde said:
Look at the Toyota Sequoia - we can fit 3 adults comfortably in the second seat row, with gobs of room in the cargo area, or you can put in the third row of seats to fit another three passengers with less cargo room. We must have test-driven every large SUV out there and this was the only one that had the room we needed.
I'll look into the gas mileage, etc on these Vrai.

Thanks to all that have offered advice so far.

Bres, we had a cart specifically made to haul my dad's electric wheelchair. It is covered so that it can even travel in bad weather. I don't think my mom sold it yet... let me know if you want more info. Mom and dad towed it behind a standard Dodge Caravan for years and the van did just fine with it. Only maintenance required is to change the two tires every once in a while.

The good thing about using a trailer vs. putting it in the back of a vehicle is that you can drive it right into the trailer complete. You would have to keep breaking it down and putting it back together again each time you put it in the back of a vehicle. And no matter how you break it down... it is still heavy as all get out. You would save wear and tear on the chair and on you back to use a trailer.

bresamil

wandering aimlessly
kwillia said:
Bres, we had a cart specifically made to haul my dad's electric wheelchair. It is covered so that it can even travel in bad weather. I don't think my mom sold it yet... let me know if you want more info. Mom and dad towed it behind a standard Dodge Caravan for years and the van did just fine with it. Only maintenance required is to change the two tires every once in a while.
Please ask her if she'd like to sell it. I just wasn't thinking about the possibility of waterproof coverings.
I'll have to get a new vehicle regardless, my poor truck is ragged out, but it could save me a fortune in base price and gas if I don't need a goliath.

bresamil said:
Please ask her if she'd like to sell it. I just wasn't thinking about the possibility of waterproof coverings.
I'll have to get a new vehicle regardless, my poor truck is ragged out, but it could save me a fortune in base price and gas if I don't need a goliath.
I just called her and she still has it and is willing to sell it for a steal. She can give you all the info about it. You will be most happy going this way. Like I say, we did it for years and the cart is easy enough for my son to hook up and load and unload the chair at the age of 10. I will PM you her name and number... Give her a call!

C

czygvtwkr

A Tahoe has a ton of rear seat room and a huge cargo area. And if you don't drive with a lead foot you can get 17-18 mpg

czygvtwkr said:
A Tahoe has a ton of rear seat room and a huge cargo area. And if you don't drive with a lead foot you can get 17-18 mpg
A Tahoe does not have enough room for an electric wheelchair unless you take out the last seat.

bresamil

wandering aimlessly
kwillia said:
A Tahoe does not have enough room for an electric wheelchair unless you take out the last seat.
Agreed. Only the Suburban, Yukon XL or Ford Excursion can handle it.

Kwillia - your mom is a trip!!! She explained how difficult it was to breakdown/rebuild the chairs and if he switches to a scooter, I don't even think that would be an option. Anyhow I told Dad about it and he was pretty excited. I think this will work out well.

bresamil said:
Agreed. Only the Suburban, Yukon XL or Ford Excursion can handle it.

Kwillia - your mom is a trip!!! She explained how difficult it was to breakdown/rebuild the chairs and if he switches to a scooter, I don't even think that would be an option. Anyhow I told Dad about it and he was pretty excited. I think this will work out well.
I think this will work wonderful for you! It worked very welly for us. Yes, my mom is a trip... the most enjoyable part of your buying experience will be getting to meet her...oh yeah, you'll be happy with the cart too...:lol: I'm soooo glad you started this thread. :clap:

BTW... I bought my suburban so I could take my dad and his wheelchair to Orlando... he died a month after I bought it...:ohwell:

bresamil

wandering aimlessly
kwillia said:
I think this will work wonderful for you! It worked for us very well. Yes, my mom is a trip... the most enjoyable part of your buying experience will be getting to meet her...oh yeah, you'll be happy with the cart too...:lol: I'm soooo glad you started this thread. :clap:

BTW... I bought my suburban so I could take my dad and his wheelchair to Orlando... he died a month after I bought it...:ohwell:
We discussed that problem too - of going so deep in debt when one's uncertain of the future - and Dad is 86! It can be scary.

I'll be owing you lunch for hooking me up!

bresamil said:
We discussed that problem too - of going so deep in debt when one's uncertain of the future - and Dad is 86! It can be scary.

I'll be owing you lunch for hooking me up!
I'll PM you my e-mail address and my phone number in case NMCI won't let me access my "come have lunch with me PMer"...:dance: