Vitamins?

BuddyLee

Football addict
I hardly eat any fruits or vegetables so I'm going to start trying to at least drink some fruit and vegetable juices. I have also been taking 'Centrum' the multi-vitamin. My question is this, what vitamins or herbal supplements should a guy my age be taking given the above information? TIA

BuddyLee said:
I hardly eat any fruits or vegetables so I'm going to start trying to at least drink some fruit and vegetable juices. I have also been taking 'Centrum' the multi-vitamin. My question is this, what vitamins or herbal supplements should a guy my age be taking given the above information? TIA
The Centrum is fine but you should eat the actual fruits because the juices contain additives and sugars the fruits do not.

As far as herbal supplements, you don't need any at your age. Just eat better. :peace:

morganj614

BuddyLee said:

The friuts and veggies also contain fiber, which juice has alot less. There are less calories in eating the actual fruits and veggies but calories don't seem to stay on your body :lmao:
Did you borrow Penn's Centrum Silver? :whistle:

Nanny Pam

BuddyLee said:

Buddy, Buddy, Buddy.......
You already know the answer.....
Vitamin "P"
:lmao:

Triggerfish

The actual fruit is better. Organic is good. So is local produce. If you have a choice between the two, go for the local produce. As soon as a fruit or veggie is plucked it starts to lose nutrients. A lot of supermarket produce comes from CA or FL. That's a few days of losing nutrients. Then it sits on the produce section of the supermarket losing more nutrients. That is why often frozen or canned fruits and veggies have higher amounts of nutrients than the fresh produce in the supermarkets. Also the fruits and veggies from FL and CA have to be specially produced to be able to withstand the long trip and not bruise or or ripen too quickly so it may be harder and less freshy.
On the other hand the local produce may have been harvested that day or the day before. As for organic produce, no chemicals. In case you like strawberries, they have the highest concentration of pesticides of any produce. The best is local organic produce.

Hot N Bothered

You are most likely not getting enough Vitamin C (are you prone to cold sores and other sores around your mouth?)
Vitamin B complex, primarily found in greens, but also in enriched and whole grain bread products, so maybe that's not a problem.
Lack of Potassium can lead to leg cramps.

Suppliments are nice, but many vitamins aren't absorbed as well through suppliments. And even 100% juice with no added sugar has more naturally occuring sugar than the fruit it came from.

janey83

Twenty Something
:rolleyes: Suck it up and eat broccoli with your dinner, and for god's sake, get lettuce & tomato on your sandwiches!

bresamil

wandering aimlessly
JabbaJawz said:
Everyone in my family takes a vitamin daily. Does a body good. :jet:
Has your kidlet tried the bubble gum vitamins? My youngest has asked for them because she says her regular vitamins taste chalky.

JabbaJawz

Be about it
bresamil said:
Has your kidlet tried the bubble gum vitamins? My youngest has asked for them because she says her regular vitamins taste chalky.

Not yet, but her latest were the gummy vitamins. I'm not getting those again, though, b/c you have to take 2 to equal a serving and they still aren't as good as the regular ones. She never fussed about them, so she's going back to chalk. :lmao:

Club'nBabySeals

Where are my pants?
You may as well just take your vitamins every morning and toss them into the toilet; because that's where they are going anyway.

Your body cannot absorb the nutrients therein nearly half as well as from a natural source such as real fruits or vegetables. It would probably behoove you to cut your reliance on vitamins before it starts, and instead focus on forcing yourself to change your overall eating habits.

Good luck!

gigi6

Supplements are great - but they are just that........"supplements".

If you hate eating fruits and veggies....try drinking a V-8 and if you can't take it plain - add a dash of tobasco and pepper. That should help.

Make sure your supplements have no fillers, too. Fillers can make you feel sick.

BuddyLee

Football addict
gigi6 said:
Supplements are great - but they are just that........"supplements".

If you hate eating fruits and veggies....try drinking a V-8 and if you can't take it plain - add a dash of tobasco and pepper. That should help.

Make sure your supplements have no fillers, too. Fillers can make you feel sick.
Yea, that's exactly what I planned on doing. Not only would I take the Centrum multi-vitamin but I'd also drink a lot of V8 (100% vegetable juice) and Juicy Juice (100% fruit juice). 8 oz. of V8 constitutes 2 servings of vegetables and 6 oz. of Juicy Juice constitutes 1-2 servings of fruits.