Helmet Laws

ACESRT04

THE OTHER
Well if the idea here is to not wear a helmet then why should we wear seatbelts? That falls under the same idea here. And why should children be strapped into car seats? I think it is all a ploy by the government to keep us alive. How dare they. I have had too many friends that I rode with and raced with die. Sadly nearly all of them that didn't wear a helmet did die yet the ones on the race track that went at much higher speeds (yet had were wearing safety equipment) did not. Wonder why that is?

slotted

ACESRT04 said:
Well if the idea here is to not wear a helmet then why should we wear seatbelts? That falls under the same idea here.
It should be your choice!
And why should children be strapped into car seats?
Strawman!
I think it is all a ploy by the government to keep us alive. How dare they. I have had too many friends that I rode with and raced with die. Sadly nearly all of them that didn't wear a helmet did die yet the ones on the race track that went at much higher speeds (yet had were wearing safety equipment) did not. Wonder why that is?
If the law isn't there, that doesn't mean you can't wear your seatbelt or helmet. WTF? It should be my right if I choose to wear it or not. It isn't affecting you if I don't.

fddog

Bow wow
ACESRT04 said:
Well if the idea here is to not wear a helmet then why should we wear seatbelts? That falls under the same idea here. And why should children be strapped into car seats? I think it is all a ploy by the government to keep us alive. How dare they. I have had too many friends that I rode with and raced with die. Sadly nearly all of them that didn't wear a helmet did die yet the ones on the race track that went at much higher speeds (yet had were wearing safety equipment) did not. Wonder why that is?
i have to agree with others, If i don't want to wear my helmet it only effects me and those close to me. I have ridin years ago when the law was not in effect.

ACESRT04

THE OTHER
No it isn't your choice and it will not be your choice. Those are the freedoms that we have in this country. :lmao:

ACESRT04

THE OTHER
fddog said:
I have ridin years ago when the law was not in effect.
WTF? I see you have already fallen off your bike without a helmet. You can't even type a complete sentence that makes sense. :lmao: :confused:

cattitude

My Sweetest Boy
fddog said:
If i don't want to wear my helmet it only effects me and those close to me

Well if you fall down and smash your head and have to eat through a tube, who pays for that? Sorta like people b1tching about people on welfare or other medical assitance. Just something to think about.

aps45819

24/7 Single Dad
ACESRT04 said:
The concept is that it's not the governments job to mandate the use of safety equipment. On the race track you're required to abide by the rules of the sanctioning body (ususlly for bikes the AMA) which covers both safty gear and the condition of your vehical.
Personally, I wear a helmet but if I want to pop down to the corner store it would be nice to be able to just hop on the bike and go without having to suit up.
Here's an interesting artical on which helmets provide the best protection.

On a side note, Honda has developed an air bag for the 2006 Goldwing

aps45819

24/7 Single Dad
cattitude said:
Well if you fall down and smash your head and have to eat through a tube, who pays for that? Sorta like people b1tching about people on welfare or other medical assitance. Just something to think about.
My health insurance. If you're yakking on your cell phone and pull your SUV out in front of a truck and smash your head and have to eat through a tube who pays for you?

aps45819

24/7 Single Dad

Attachments

• Stutters Cropped.JPG
    Stutters Cropped.JPG
    31.1 KB · Views: 114

cattitude

My Sweetest Boy
aps45819 said:
My health insurance. If you're yakking on your cell phone and pull your SUV out in front of a truck and smash your head and have to eat through a tube who pays for you?

Testy this morning, aren't we. It was merely a discussion point and somewhat tongue-in-cheek. Health insurance pays, obviously, but I seriously doubt you alone pay enough insurance in your lifetime to cover the cost of care for a catastrophic injury.

Last edited:

aps45819

24/7 Single Dad
Fuzzy Bean said:
Before the laws, sometimes I wore, sometimes I didn't. I always will now. Not just because of the law, but it's just safer.
I agree. I bounced my noggin on the pavement with my first bike and was very glad I had a helmet on.
Besides, now the top of my head can get sunburned :bawl:

fddog

Bow wow
Fuzzy Bean said:
Before the laws, sometimes I wore, sometimes I didn't. I always will now. Not just because of the law, but it's just safer.
i had my helmet on in 1992 i wrecked my motorcycle, I was in a coma for ten days. I know imagine if i didn't have a helmet on.

aps45819

24/7 Single Dad
cattitude said:
Testy this morning, aren't we. It was merely a discussion point and somewhat tongue-in-cheek. Health insurance pays, obviously, but I seriously doubt you alone pay enough insurance in your lifetime to cover the cost of care for a catastrophic injury.
The prevailing attitude that motorcyclists as a group are more likely to not have insurance than other drivers is false. The demographics of the motorcycling community have changed dramaticly in the last 20 years. The stereotype view that we're unemployed outlaws and criminals irks me.

But we're still bad boys :kiss:

cattitude

My Sweetest Boy
aps45819 said:
The prevailing attitude that motorcyclists as a group are more likely to not have insurance than other drivers is false. The demographics of the motorcycling community have changed dramaticly in the last 20 years. The stereotype view that we're unemployed outlaws and criminals irks me.

But we're still bad boys :kiss:

I was married to man that owned three motorcycles. One of my best friends owns a motorcycle. I do not have any bad opinions of motorcycle owners/drivers. I'm not sure where I said you didn't have insurance or that you were an unemployed outlaw. :confused:

Tonio

Asperger's Poster Child
Since I'm a non-biker, could you explain why many bikers consider helmet laws to be a civil liberties issue?

itsbob

I bowl overhand
I won't ride without one, but am in agreement with the idea of personal choice, and believe it for seatbelts too.. as far as child seats.. no, we have many incompetent parents that don't have the ability to make decisions to keep their children safe, so safety measures should be mandated for children.. and ENFORCED.

I ride with Helmet, Gloves and Armored jacket, and when I'm on a long haul, I wear the armored pants too. It only takes one small unprotected accident to lose your life, and I have too much to live for.

Case in point: Navy Surgeon General is in Bethesda Navy Hospital recuperating from a motorcyle accident. He rear ended a car on highway at 65 MPH. One reason for survival is the type of bike he was riding, the front suspension was made to throw him up and over the car he hit, then the clothes he was wearing took the fall, and the skidding on the pavement. 10 - 15 years ago, or even a different bike would have been a fatal.. and 10 -15 years ago, he probably wouldn't have been wearing the gear that saved his life. If he was wearing only a helmet, I believe he'd be dead now too. he got beat up, a few broken bones, a fractured pelvis, but he survived, and will be back to normal in a few weeks.

The way the newer riding gear is made there's really no reason not to wear it other then cost. It's comfortable, and it's vented and it's armored in all the right places.

ATGATT, All The Gear, All The Time..

itsbob

I bowl overhand
and the bat I hit last night was wearing none of the above when he took a header into my jacket. I think he enjoyed his last motorcylce ride, as I found him in a REAL deep sleep still on board.