Pizza Dough

Agee

Any good recipes for Pizza Dough? One that yields that crunchy outside and chewy inside crust. I can't get these results with any dough recipe I've used in the past.

I've heard, that the water is the key in "New York" style dough?

TIA!

cattitude

My Sweetest Boy
I cheat and use the Pillsbury pizza dough. And then I make my own sauce, etc.

I have a nice pizza pan, spray it with Pam, etc. and sprinkle it with yellow corn meal. Then I spread out the dough. Cook it for 5 minutes then take it out and put all the "stuff" on it and put it back in the oven until the cheese is melted.

CMC122

Go Braves!
I use Emeril's recipe from The Food Networks website:yay: I add a little extra olive oil to the mix and when it's rising I coat it with a little more olive oil:wink:

Kids love homemade pizza night!

C

czygvtwkr

Get a package of frozen bread dough, Put it out to thaw and raise, after it has raised fully dump it out of the pan and begin making a pizza shell out of it. Brush the dough with olive oil lightly and make a pizza now.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
I use packaged bread machine mix and it's pretty good but not excellent. I add some basil and sundried tomato to the dough, so it tastes good but isn't that pizzaria quality.

My Mom makes fabulous pizza crust and she says the secret is a tsp of sugar in the dough. This is a lie because I've done what she said and mine still doesn't turn out as good as hers.

I make fabulous homemade pizza crust... the special touches involve the oven tempurature, olive oil in the dough, an egg in the dough, and you have got to let the dough rise then knead it until it goes back down, then let it rise again... oh yeah, I put sugar in the water to feed the yeast. And don't forget the salt... you won't get the elasticity without the salt. But too much salt will taste :blah:

Agee

Thanks All :yay:

Used the Pillsbury dough last night. Topped it with alfredo sauce, grilled chicken, spinach, roasted red peppers, and parmesean cheese.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Airgasm said:
Used the Pillsbury dough last night. Topped it with alfredo sauce, grilled chicken, spinach, roasted red peppers, and parmesean cheese.
That sounds really good. Larry and I top ours with sausage, mushrooms, roasted red peppers, artichoke hearts and garlic.

When are you cooking for us again? I'll come be your galley slave :yay:

2ndAmendment

Just a forgiven sinner
PREMO Member
I have heard that the trick to crisp outside and chewy inside crust is a very hot oven. I think a pizza oven is about 700 degrees.

Agee

vraiblonde said:
That sounds really good. Larry and I top ours with sausage, mushrooms, roasted red peppers, artichoke hearts and garlic.

When are you cooking for us again? I'll come be your galley slave :yay:
Whenever you and the Gude man get back down here.

You are a most excellent "gallery slave"... and quite the conversationalist :yay:

Agee

2ndAmendment said:
I have heard that the trick to crisp outside and chewy inside crust is a very hot oven. I think a pizza oven is about 700 degrees.
That will flow solder!

You make a good point, commercial pizza ovens, and wood fired pizza ovens make a big diffrence.

MMDad

Lem Putt
Airgasm said:
That will flow solder!

You make a good point, commercial pizza ovens, and wood fired pizza ovens make a big diffrence.

The crust I had in Sicily is my ultimate. Chewy, crisp, light, flavorful, but not overbearing. A restaurant owner liked practicing her English with Americans, so she yapped our heads off. She said you must use Durham Semolina and good olive oil.

Sicilians use olive oil like we use salt - on everything. The wine rule applies to olive oil. If you wouldn't drink it, don't cook with it. If you don't like your olive oil enough to eat with bread, buy something better and cook with that.

Our general purpose flour here is lower gluten. Get bread flour - it has a higher gluten content. Let it rise at least once, preferably twice. Use about 1 tsp. sugar/ 2 cups flour to feed the yeast.

The heat of the oven makes a big difference, but without a pizza oven it is hard to duplicate. Most home ovens do not heat evenly enough to use their top settings. Brick ovens maintain a constant temperature because the thermal mass of the pizza has little effect on the temperature of the oven. Electric ovens are either on or off, and the temperature can vary by at least 100 degrees during the cooking cycle. I've found that 450 degrees is best for a home oven. The lower heat results in a longer cooking time, but less burnage.

The recipe:

1 cup warm water 110 - 120 degrees
Mix in one packet of yeast (or about 3 tsp. More doesn't hurt, but don't go with less.)
Mix in 1 heaping tsp. sugar.

I use a kitchenaid with a doughook an low. Add 3 cups flour and start it up. Add 2 Tbsp virgin olive oil (if you don't use virgin, don't bother.)

Add 1 tsp. salt. Don't skip the salt, it is actually necessary for the chemical reaction.

I let it knead on low for 5 minutes. If it sticks to the side, add a little flour until it starts forming into a ball. Let rise for 30 minutes. Turn the mixer back on to low to knead for five miutes and look for sticking. If it sticks, add 1 Tbsp. flour and wait a minute until it forms a good ball.

If you have time, let it rise one more time, but you can make it now if you want.

If you want to be authentic, make a Pizza Margherita: tomato sauce, mozzarella, fresh basil, and fresh tomato slices with good olive oil drizzled over it. Awesome!

Or you could get even more authentic and add eggs, peas, and fungi.

Agee

MMDad said:
The crust I had in Sicily is my ultimate. Chewy, crisp, light, flavorful, but not overbearing. A restaurant owner liked practicing her English with Americans, so she yapped our heads off. She said you must use Durham Semolina and good olive oil.

Sicilians use olive oil like we use salt - on everything. The wine rule applies to olive oil. If you wouldn't drink it, don't cook with it. If you don't like your olive oil enough to eat with bread, buy something better and cook with that.

Our general purpose flour here is lower gluten. Get bread flour - it has a higher gluten content. Let it rise at least once, preferably twice. Use about 1 tsp. sugar/ 2 cups flour to feed the yeast.

The heat of the oven makes a big difference, but without a pizza oven it is hard to duplicate. Most home ovens do not heat evenly enough to use their top settings. Brick ovens maintain a constant temperature because the thermal mass of the pizza has little effect on the temperature of the oven. Electric ovens are either on or off, and the temperature can vary by at least 100 degrees during the cooking cycle. I've found that 450 degrees is best for a home oven. The lower heat results in a longer cooking time, but less burnage.

The recipe:

1 cup warm water 110 - 120 degrees
Mix in one packet of yeast (or about 3 tsp. More doesn't hurt, but don't go with less.)
Mix in 1 heaping tsp. sugar.

I use a kitchenaid with a doughook an low. Add 3 cups flour and start it up. Add 2 Tbsp virgin olive oil (if you don't use virgin, don't bother.)

Add 1 tsp. salt. Don't skip the salt, it is actually necessary for the chemical reaction.

I let it knead on low for 5 minutes. If it sticks to the side, add a little flour until it starts forming into a ball. Let rise for 30 minutes. Turn the mixer back on to low to knead for five miutes and look for sticking. If it sticks, add 1 Tbsp. flour and wait a minute until it forms a good ball.

If you have time, let it rise one more time, but you can make it now if you want.

If you want to be authentic, make a Pizza Margherita: tomato sauce, mozzarella, fresh basil, and fresh tomato slices with good olive oil drizzled over it. Awesome!

Or you could get even more authentic and add eggs, peas, and fungi.
Ah a true gourmond... :cheers: