Neuromancer

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Has anyone read this? I love Gibson's writing style, the way he puts a phrase together, but I got halfway through the book and realized I had no idea what was going on. :lol:

So I got a study guide to read with it and started over. :dork:

Tonio

Asperger's Poster Child
I tried reading Neuromancer but it didn't hold my interest. Maybe cyperpunk isn't for me. I went though a short period in my 20s where I was reading "hard" science fiction, but I found that my tastes in that genre are quirky. I stay away from the Tolkein knockoffs and the spaceships-and-alien-civilizations sagas. I like alternate futures and alternate pasts, like Pohl's "Coming of the Quantum Cats" and Heinlein's "Job: A Comedy of Justice." I also like magic realism like Harlan Ellison and Fritz Leiber. Leiber's classic novel is "Conjure Wife," which is based on the idea that all women are secretly witches.

Club'nBabySeals

Where are my pants?
Along that vein of alternate history--particularly dealing with political and social intrigue, Tonio, you might enjoy George R.R. Martin's "A Song of Ice and Fire" series, and Jaqueline Carey's "Kushiel" trilogy.