moss vs grass???

raindrop

i love you too
hi everyone. my boyfriend and i are moving into a trailer that sits on moss instead of grass. it's from the surrounding trees and shade ext.
i told him i wanted to plant grass. he said that he wants the moss to stay so he doesn't have to mow the grass lol.
does anyone else have a mossy lawn? :confused:

raindrop said:
yes. it's fine. but my yard is moss instead of grass
Add lime to the soil to reduce the acidity level, and plant grass seed now. That way, you should get some grass before it gets too cold to germinate.

Tonio

Asperger's Poster Child
Our yard has moss in the shady areas. I would prefer moss or clover to grass. I've heard of lawn grass referred to as a "non-cash crop."

Great suggestion, Vrai, but considering this is for a trailer and all... I'm thinking that green grass looking carpet stuff at Lowe's would be more economical...:shrug:

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
kwillia said:
I'm thinking that green grass looking carpet stuff at Lowe's would be more economical...
We have a "grass" carpet that we put in front of our RV and it's awesome. When it gets dirty, you just hose it off.

Triggerfish

raindrop said:
hi everyone. my boyfriend and i are moving into a trailer that sits on moss instead of grass. it's from the surrounding trees and shade ext.
i told him i wanted to plant grass. he said that he wants the moss to stay so he doesn't have to mow the grass lol.
does anyone else have a mossy lawn? :confused:

If you do decide on grass remember to get the mix for shades. Even then it may not grow very well. And like huntr said if you're going to plant grass do it now because in a very short time it's going to be too late. Actually you can plant the seeds anytime but if you don't do it now it won't germinate until spring.

aps45819

24/7 Single Dad
It will be a LOT of work to get grass to grow where the moss is. You'll need to add a LOT of lime and probably have to till or dig it up so the grass seed will actually land in the soil instead of on top of the moss.

Triggerfish

hhhmmm......too much lime isn't good either since the grass needs an acidity of between 6 and 7 I think. Too much lime is just as bad for the grass. They sell a spray to kill moss at Wentworth and possibly Lowes.