Advice for someone "just thinking"...

OliveOyl

Ok, I'm looking for honest advice now...

My husband and I have "started thinking" about having kids (well, I have anyways).

What's the best/worst part of having a child? What's the best advice you could give a first-time mom (who will most likely be working)?

Sharon

Staff member
PREMO Member
Originally posted by OliveOyl
What's the best advice you could give a first-time mom (who will most likely be working)?
Just get a pet instead. :lol: Kids need parents not babysitters. Enjoy them while they're young and go back to work when they start school.

*running for cover* :razz:

K

Kain99

They are full of it! Being a parent is awesome! Yes, it is a lifetime of work and dedication but the rewards are endless!

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
:yeahthat: What Sharon said. Although my sister-in-law (who has a 1 year old) works two days a week and leaves the baby with my other sister-in-law and it seems to be working for her. But if you're going to work full-time, I'd advise you to wait for kids.

The best part about having kids is watching these little humans grow and learn - it's the next best thing to being God. You will have a bond with your child that you've never had with any other person, not even your husband.

The worst part is, if you do it right, it's a LOT of work and an 18 year committment*. You have to really put your life on hold while you're raising this person. And they're ungrateful until they're old enough to understand why you wouldn't let them do what they want.

*Actually that's not true - it's a LIFETIME committment.

RoseRed

American Beauty
PREMO Member
Don't Get Me Wrong!

I love my daughter to death and I would never, never ever trade her for anything. BUT.... there are moments that your nerves are spread verrrry thin!

Fortunatley, it's all good for 97% of the time. We all have our moments! Right ladies!?! and that doesn't necessarily mean the kids... :biggrin:

Ken King

A little rusty but not crusty
PREMO Member
Vraiblonde,

It doesn't end at 18, it just gets more expensive helping them out when they need it. And in Maryland it is the law that you have to still provide for them if they are unable to provide for themselves.

Olive,

Personally, I say if you’re going to have them do it while you are young and have the stamina to keep up with them.

The best – all the firsts, walking, talking, riding a bike, their first dance, romance, etc..

The worst – teenage behavior, the mouth, attitudes, thinking they know everything, and their breaking your heart.

RoseRed

American Beauty
PREMO Member
Originally posted by Ken King
The best – all the firsts, walking, talking, riding a bike, their first dance, romance, etc..
Ahhh, precious moments. Be sure to have lots of film on hand and be able to afford lots of copies for family. But then again, if you have digital, then you can forward via e-mail for much, much less! :biggrin:

Oz

You're all F'in Mad...
Originally posted by Ken King

The worst – teenage behavior, the mouth, attitudes, thinking they know everything, and their breaking your heart.

That's funny... You put talking, and talking in the best and worst category. Which one is it, Ken? :biggrin:

JabbaJawz

Be about it
Pretty much what the others said. It should be a committment that both parents are willing to enter into, and you should do lots of research so you know what you're getting into. When I was pregnant I honestly thought I KNEW - and I'm a very realistic person. But once my daughter was born, reality set in and things were very different than I thought. It does require time, patience, and a lot of selflessness...but like Kain and Vrai said, it's worth it!

K

Kain99

Call me crazy, but I never had that moment where I said.. Oh crap what have I done....

My daughter will be 16 this month and the boys are not far behind.

The commitment does not end at age 18 that's a lie...

I just can't wait for 21 - 35 - 40 ya know???

Maybe you just have to be a Mommy from birth... I have loved almost every minute of it!

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Originally posted by Kain99
Call me crazy, but I never had that moment where I said.. Oh crap what have I done....
I did - right after my son was born. They laid him on my stomach and I had a rather significant panic attack. I chilled out quick but there was just that dazed moment of, "Ohgodohgodohgodohgod...what have I DONE!?!" It just seemed like such a big responsibility - and it was.

I'm enjoying my relationship with my adult son - it was worth the 19 years to get him there. And I'm looking forward to the day when I can relate to my daughters woman-to-woman rather than parent-child.

So there IS a reward for all that work.

JabbaJawz

Be about it
Originally posted by vraiblonde
I did - right after my son was born. They laid him on my stomach and I had a rather significant panic attack. I chilled out quick but there was just that dazed moment of, "Ohgodohgodohgodohgod...what have I DONE!?!" It just seemed like such a big responsibility - and it was.

Agreed!!! That moment was completely surreal to me. I wasn't ready to have a child when I did, although I give myself complete props for taking the responsibility on like a champ and being a great mother. But there were moments at first where I felt that there I was still learning to be responsible for my own decisions - and I was all of a sudden 100% responsible for making decisions for this brand new person!!

Oz

You're all F'in Mad...
Originally posted by vraiblonde
laid him on my stomach and I had a rather significant panic attack. I chilled out quick but there was just that dazed moment of, "Ohgodohgodohgodohgod...what have I DONE!?!"

Funny how that same thing gets you to the labor room in the first place, huh?

Sharon

Staff member
PREMO Member
Later on it's more likely to say to your kids, "Oh crap...what have YOU done!" :wink:

Ken King

A little rusty but not crusty
PREMO Member
Originally posted by Oz
That's funny... You put talking, and talking in the best and worst category. Which one is it, Ken? :biggrin:
Actually, if you would read what I wrote you would see this as two totally separate thoughts. I was talking about the best being the precious moment a child first starts to speak. Any parent knows this joy. The worst is what happens when the child becomes a teen and the things that come out of that once precious mouth. Not the same thing at all is it?

I realize that you are just p!ssed because I challenged you on the feedhorn issue (with facts) and now you are trying to exact a little revenge. Why not bring your pfister on down and we’ll see what ends up going down the drain?