What would you do?

DreamWeaver

We just had a most disturbing series of events occur and thought we might pass it by to see if anyone had any sound advice.
Over three years ago we adopted a horse from a rescue facility (Not Days End Farm) up north and everything was going fine, or so we thought. This past Saturday we had a visitor to the farm who was asking strange questions and we, being the agreeable people we are, answered politely and went on about our day. That afternoon we received an email asking if we sold any of our horses. I wrote back and advised the individual that we did not. The next morning I received an email from the rescue demanding all vet and farrier records on the adopted horse. I contacted the rescue and asked why this was necessary at this juncture. I was advised that someone had filed a complete with them saying our horses were skinny -- an untruth at best and I have the feed bills to prove it. Turns out, the individual who visited on Saturday was the former owner of the rescue horse (this I know because she sent me an email under someone else's title but signed her name and that is the name on the coggins that came with the rescue horse). Therefore, I can only assume when I said we did not sell our horses, she made the false statements to the rescue in an attempt to get the horse back. What's even more disturbing is that after I worked everything out with the rescue via email on Sunday we had someone scoping out our farm when we were out feeding last night. We live in a very quiet area and they couldn't have been more obvious.
Sorry to be so long winded, but just wondering if anyone else ran into any situation like this and, if so, what did you do?

Nickel

curiouser and curiouser
DreamWeaver said:
Sorry to be so long winded, but just wondering if anyone else ran into any situation like this and, if so, what did you do?
I have no experience in this, but if something similar were to happen to me, I'd post "No Trespassing" signs, and report every violation this person makes. :yay:

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
DreamWeaver said:
The next morning I received an email from the rescue demanding all vet and farrier records on the adopted horse.
Or what? :tap: That takes a hell of a lot of nerve to DEMAND records on a horse that was adopted 3 years ago, just on the basis of a phone-in complaint.

I'll bet it's the horse rescue people watching you to make sure your animals aren't being mistreated. Call the police. They'll send someone to do a drive-by.

DreamWeaver

Thanks for the great input.
The condition of the horse isn't the problem, we have all our horses vetted every six months and the farrier comes every eight weeks. We have complete records for adopted and owned horses. The problem is the old owner wanted to cause trouble for us so she notified the rescue and told a few mistruths. The rescue has backed off but, apparently, the old owner is obsessed and appears to be stalking us. We have a student whose father is a police officer and we'll see what he can suggest.
I agree with appyday completely, I WOULD NEVER ADOPT a horse again. Unfortunately, we thought we were doing a good thing. Ironically, I was the one who kept in contact with the rescue with pictures and emails. They had never contacted me until they received the communication from the previous owner this past Saturday. I adopted the horse in June 2002. I got a profuse apology from the rescue after my communication with them, but that doesn't help the problem with the old owner. Suggestions greatly appreciated.

DreamWeaver

I've now received an underhanded apology from the former owner but not without the unnecessary snide comments. Her passing blow what that she didn't trust horse people and with my being in the business I should understand that. I had to let her know what a prejudiced statement that was and it was my understanding that horse people were doctors, lawyers, engineers, etc. and I would trust them above all others. Ironically, she handed the horse she "loved" over to horse people when it suited her needs.
Thanks for the comments and suggestions.