Cable Question

K

Kizzy

My dad just got High Speed Internet (Cable). Here is my question. There is a wire running from the cable box into the house for one computer. My dad wants to splice this wire and run the cable Internet into another room and purchase another surfboard modem to connect the second computer. Now, I think the answer is no unless he has 2 IP addresses. My suggestion is to purchase a router and run Cat5 wire to the other room and that is the only way (unless he goes wireless), but since I am not 100% positive the answer is no to his idea, I thought I would thru it out here for some response.

The object here is to pay for the 1 line and somehow connect the second computer without another IP address.

SmallTown

Football season!
You can pick up a router for less than $50 which will do the trick.. Then just run the ethernet to where you need it..

Not sure about the latest with wireless.. They were supposed to be coming out with a new high speed wireless standard, but not sure if it is out yet.

SmallTown

Football season!
Damn, you are one lucky person.. Go play the lottery, now!! First I compliment you on your outfit at the party, and now I'm giving helpful information.. That is TWO good deeds towards ONE person in the past few days.. Enjoy it! :biggrin:

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
You need a router - we ran into the same problem with our cable access. We also just went wireless at our house and really like it. Three computers, on separate floors, a good ways apart, and the connection is still strong. Plus, I can take the laptop out with me when I smoke.
:cool:

K

Kizzy

:lmao: @ vrail

Well, we know what you New Years Resolution wasn't.

My dad is looking for the cheapest way to get the second computer connected, so I think the router is the way for him to go verses wireless. He just asked why he couldn’t just splice the incoming wire and stick it to another room. I said well I am pretty sure you cannot do that unless they are on separate IP addresses, but I just wasn't 100% sure. I have all the Cat5 wire I would ever need, so the only expense is the router box. It is just him and my sister who actually use the Internet. If my dad’s wife wants something off the Internet, she gets my dad or sister to look it up.

I have been bragging how great cable is and he finally got it. Then, he wanted to connect this other computer in the house and I said dad it doesn't have an Ethernet connection. When I looked at the computer, it has a 5 GB harddrive (which is almost full). I said dad it just isn't worth buying the card for such an old computer. So, he got a new computer at Sam's Club for him for less than $500. Pretty good one too, HP 1.8 Ghz 40 GB harddrive with a multi drive and a 17" moniter.

Last edited by a moderator:

Oz

You're all F'in Mad...
Originally posted by vraiblonde
You need a router - we ran into the same problem with our cable access. We also just went wireless at our house and really like it. Three computers, on separate floors, a good ways apart, and the connection is still strong. Plus, I can take the laptop out with me when I smoke.
:cool:

You mean after the free counseling online here, you're still smoking out in the garage?

Echo on the router... I bought the cheapo-Linksys at Staples and have ethernet connections to 2 computers in the computer room, and a plug for my laptop in the living room. We non-smokers can use the laptop in the living room. No garage port here, and I'm not wireless.

RoseRed

American Beauty
PREMO Member
My Cable Question

I have GMP Expanded Basic which includes the Disney channel. Why is is spanish speaking right now? A preacher service to be exact. Other times I have turned it on only to find spanish soap operas. :confused:

H

Heretic

The problem with wireless is that your neighbors can steal your bandwidth if they want and they can spy on you quite easily.

Kyle

ULTRA-F###ING-MAGA!
PREMO Member
Re: My Cable Question

Originally posted by RoseRed
I have GMP Expanded Basic which includes the Disney channel. Why is is spanish speaking right now? A preacher service to be exact. Other times I have turned it on only to find spanish soap operas. :confused:
They moved Disney to 48 and put the local DC Spanish Station on 14.

I watched Continental Divide last weekend... John Belushi was really fluent in Spanish! :lmao:

RoseRed

American Beauty
PREMO Member
Re: Re: My Cable Question

Originally posted by Kyle
They moved Disney to 48 and put the local DC Spanish Station on 14.

I watched Continental Divide last weekend... John Belushi was really fluent in Spanish! :lmao:
When did this take place? It has been going back and forth between both of them.

Weird....

Kyle

ULTRA-F###ING-MAGA!
PREMO Member
I think it took effect on Jan. 01, but I didn't notice it until the 3rd.

Sharon

Staff member
PREMO Member
I was surfing one night and saw a really good chase scene in this movie. I watched about 5 minutes of it before anyone spoke a word. When they did...it was SPANISH! :lol: I had no idea what was going on after that. :roflmao:

Kyle

ULTRA-F###ING-MAGA!
PREMO Member
Originally posted by Sharon
I was surfing one night and saw a really good chase scene in this movie. I watched about 5 minutes of it before anyone spoke a word. When they did...it was SPANISH! :lol: I had no idea what was going on after that. :roflmao:
Did the word "Immigra" come up?

That might explain the chase...

:biggrin:

SeaRide

Originally posted by IM4Change
splice the wire
:nono:
I had tried to use cable modem on the wire with three way splitter on it for two TVs and my computer.. it doesnt work at all.
I learned that you need to have "dedicated" cable in order for the strong signal to come thru for the cablemodem to work. Splicing the wire will give you weaker signal and the cablemodem will not work at all. You can splice the wire for many TVs as you like.
Also, I use type R6 ( or was it G6?) cable since I need strong signal to travel over 50 feet from the main cable junction box outside the house. Those pretty white cable at radio shack or the like .. that are less than 25feet are rated R4 or something else and not good for signals to travel over 25 feet.

Last edited: