Reasonable Spay and Neutering

DreamWeaver

Hi,
We have a horse farm in Calvert County with our usual assortment of cats. Unfortunately, someone decided we wouldn't notice two baby kittens and left them under our feed room. It was pretty easy to notice since all our cats are spayed and neutered and, therefore, no chance for babies. We took the kittens into the house and now it is time to have them spayed and neutered. Anyone have any suggestions on the best vet hospital in the area? Our youngest cat is 5 and, therefore, we haven't had this situation in a while. Our vet comes to us for our horses and will do the shots for the dogs and cats, but don't think I can convince him to spay and neuter.
Suggestions appreciated.

sdm

Well Pet Clinic in Lexington Park has a low-cost spay/neuter program. Their phone number is 301-866-0303. Their surgery days are Wednesdays and Fridays. If you get the answering service, leave a message, they WILL call you back quickly. Very nice people.

tes218

The Lucky Ones phone number is (301) 884-2850. Cost is $40 for males, $60 for females. They can also do FeLV/FIV testing and give needed shots. More information can be found on the website at www.luckyones.com under Low Cost Spay/Neuter Clinic.

Jameo

What?!
sdm said:
Well Pet Clinic in Lexington Park has a low-cost spay/neuter program. Their phone number is 301-866-0303. Their surgery days are Wednesdays and Fridays. If you get the answering service, leave a message, they WILL call you back quickly. Very nice people.

:yeahthat: Super nice people to deal with!! They spayed both of my pups!

DreamWeaver

Thanks everyone. I have an appointment with Well Pet Clinic in Lexington Park. It's close to our 8 year old's gymnastics classes which makes it extremely convenient to pick them up.
They are very nice on the phone.

Pandora

jazz lady said:
The Lucky Ones in Charlotte Hall. :yay:

I called various vets in the area to obtain prices on getting our kitten fixed and found that it cost between $125-$140 to have this done.

I hate to sound sluethlike but damn, I already have spent just a little over $200 for vet bills already. :faint:

I was wondering if anyone knew if I had to be low income to go to Lucky Ones? :confused:

Chasey_Lane

Salt Life
Pandora said:
I was wondering if anyone knew if I had to be low income to go to Lucky Ones? :confused:
I had a boy kitty neutered at Lucky Ones. I don't remember who the veterinarian was at the time (this was about 5 years ago), but the veterinarian there now (or at least a/o 2 year ago) was the same vet. at the the one in White Plains.

You do not have to be low-income, but kitty will need all of his/her shots and vaccines. Cost for the neutering is about $50; and a little more for spaying.

jwwb2000

pretty black roses
DreamWeaver said:
Thanks everyone. I have an appointment with Well Pet Clinic in Lexington Park. It's close to our 8 year old's gymnastics classes which makes it extremely convenient to pick them up.
They are very nice on the phone.

Just had my dog neutered by them. They were super nice!!

SAHRAB

This is fun right?
Pandora said:
I called various vets in the area to obtain prices on getting our kitten fixed and found that it cost between $125-$140 to have this done.

I hate to sound sluethlike but damn, I already have spent just a little over $200 for vet bills already. :faint:

Noop, we've had them do all our cats and dogs, wonder if they'll do a pot belly?

Pandora

Chasey_Lane said:
You do not have to be low-income, but kitty will need all of his/her shots and vaccines. Cost for the neutering is about $50; and a little more for spaying.

She has had all her shots and then some. :lol: It is $60.00 so that is 1/2 the cost.

I didn't schedule it when I had her at the vet because she was very sick with an upper respiratory infection and the vet said she had time to put on some weight and get healthy first.

I have never had a female pet before so I'd imagine this is going to be more invasive than a neuter. :ohwell: My males have been up and running around within hours. So can anyone give me a clue what to expect?

SAHRAB

This is fun right?
Pandora said:
She has had all her shots and then some. :lol: It is $60.00 so that is 1/2 the cost.

I didn't schedule it when I had her at the vet because she was very sick with an upper respiratory infection and the vet said she had time to put on some weight and get healthy first.

I have never had a female pet before so I'd imagine this is going to be more invasive than a neuter. :ohwell: My males have been up and running around within hours. So can anyone give me a clue what to expect?

If she's a Lap Kitty, expect even more of it for a couple of days. if she isnt social then dont expect to see alot of her (she'll most likely be under a bed, or in a closet staying away)

Chasey_Lane

Salt Life
Pandora said:
My mom had a female kitty who ripped her stitches out twice. Good thing she didn't seriously hurt herself.

She'll be a little lethargic for a day, possibly more. Just make sure she's not jumping around and playing too rough - you wouldn't want her to injure her wound more.

pixiegirl

Cleopatra Jones
Pandora said:

I have a female cat and opted for a flank spay (not as invasive as they make a smaller incision on the side) and she was declawed at the same time. Both procedures were done via lazer. I took her home that night and she acted like nothing had happened. :yay:

Just remember you get what you pay for. I got Mily from a rescue who took thier animals to a cheapo place to get fixed. As big as she is you can still feel her metal (yes metal) stitches. :boo:

bresamil

wandering aimlessly
Chasey_Lane said:
My mom had a female kitty who ripped her stitches out twice. Good thing she didn't seriously hurt herself.

She'll be a little lethargic for a day, possibly more. Just make sure she's not jumping around and playing too rough - you wouldn't want her to injure her wound more.
Mine ripped her stitches within a few hours of being home - and that was with being kennelled. Had to rush her back - they ended up wrapping her with a load of bandages and compression bandage (pretty pink corset) Then I kept her kennelled except for food, water, and carrying her to the litter box (she let me know when she needed to go). When I am home she can come out for awhile but I have to keep the dog from trying to play with her. Kennelled her again before coming in this morning. Stitches don't come out until Friday.

tes218

The size of the opening and recovery time depends on the age of the kitten. That's why the younger the better. The vet at Lucky Ones uses absorbable stitches so another trip isn't necessary. He is an excellent surgeon and does something like multiple layering of the stitches. He is extremely caring and his main concern if for the animal. He has refused to do some if he thought it would put the animal in jeopardy. He is my vet and has operated on my dogs for leg and eye injuries in his White Plains office and has donated his services for several amputations and operations that required the use of pins for broken legs, etc for rescue animals.

bresamil

wandering aimlessly
tes218 said:
The size of the opening and recovery time depends on the age of the kitten. That's why the younger the better. The vet at Lucky Ones uses absorbable stitches so another trip isn't necessary. He is an excellent surgeon and does something like multiple layering of the stitches. He is extremely caring and his main concern if for the animal. He has refused to do some if he thought it would put the animal in jeopardy. He is my vet and has operated on my dogs for leg and eye injuries in his White Plains office and has donated his services for several amputations and operations that required the use of pins for broken legs, etc for rescue animals.
I should clarify that my cat was not seen at Lucky Ones and is almost 5 years old. She also suffered from pyometra.
Lucky Ones spayed the dog I adopted and did an excellent job. No problems.

Pandora

pixiegirl said:
I have a female cat and opted for a flank spay (not as invasive as they make a smaller incision on the side) and she was declawed at the same time. Both procedures were done via lazer. I took her home that night and she acted like nothing had happened. :yay:

Where did you get that done at?

pixiegirl

Cleopatra Jones
Pandora said:
Where did you get that done at?

St. Charles Animal Hospital. Dr. Hocking, though he doesn't work there anymore. I think that I've read that several of the other local vets have lazers.

jwwb2000

pretty black roses
pixiegirl said:
St. Charles Animal Hospital. Dr. Hocking, though he doesn't work there anymore. I think that I've read that several of the other local vets have lazers.

St Mary's Animal Hospital does use lasers for declawing. Not sure about the spay/neutering though.