Online Confessions

chuckster

IMFUBARED
Vatican warning on danger of 'online confession'
From Richard Owen in Rome

THE Vatican has warned Catholic bishops and priests not to use the internet to hear “online confessions” in case they are read by “ill-intentioned people such as hackers” for purposes such as blackmail.
The Holy See’s judicial arm said there was a risk that criminals would misuse confidential information intended for the eyes of a confessor only.

It did not say if the warning had been prompted by an actual case of blackmail. No figures have been released for the number of confessions heard online. The Vatican has embraced the internet with enthusiasm, and since 1997 has had an efficient website powered by computers named after the archangels Michael, Gabriel and Raphael and run by nuns.

The Pope, while warning of the “dark uses” to which the internet can be put and the “temptations” it offers, has used it to send messages and prayers around the world. However, he is against group confessions and collective absolutions.

Last April, in an apostolic letter entitled Misericordia Dei, he declared that group confession had to be “a rare response to grave necessity”, not a routine form of the sacrament.

Vatican officials said that although collective absolution had become popular in parts of the Catholic world, it was an exceptional measure to be used when the normal celebration of the sacrament is physically or morally impossible.

Some Catholic dioceses have set up their own computer networks to spread the faith and offer spiritual support and advice. In Canada, the Archdiocese of Winnipeg established a network two years ago so that online visitors could talk to priests in chat rooms or seek “virtual prayer guidance” from nuns.

After the Vatican website was set up, the Italian Catholic magazine Famiglia Cristiana warned readers to beware of “flirting” through chat rooms, declaring that that amounted to “online adultery”.

“For Christians there is no moral difference between a virtual affair and a flesh-and-blood betrayal,” the magazine said. “The internet cannot wash your sins away.”

JabbaJawz

Be about it
Sharon - that site is hilarious!!!!! I checked out several, but one I thought was cute and innocent is this one---

Nice Place

Once I was asked to look after my neighbour's house while he was away.
I made a copy of the key.

Now whenever he's away I go into his house just to watch TV, or take a shower. It's a really nice house. Plus I kind of like the guy. It's fun to smell his sheets and go through his closet.

I should really stop, but I enjoy it too much.

cattitude

My Sweetest Boy
Originally posted by laureng
Sharon - that site is hilarious!!!!! I checked out several, but one I thought was cute and innocent is this one---

Nice Place

Once I was asked to look after my neighbour's house while he was away.
I made a copy of the key.

Now whenever he's away I go into his house just to watch TV, or take a shower. It's a really nice house. Plus I kind of like the guy. It's fun to smell his sheets and go through his closet.

:eek:

chuckster

IMFUBARED

Now whenever he's away I go into his house just to watch TV, or take a shower. It's a really nice house. Plus

Will you please pick up the wet towels before you go next time!
Thanks

B

Betty_Elms

Oh Lauren, say it ain't so.....:razz2:

JabbaJawz

Be about it
Okay, okay...you're focing me to confess...the 'nice place' confession was MINE, all MINE. I didn't really get it off the website...:lol:!!

Chuckster - I'll try to clean up a little better from now on. I can't believe I forgot to clean up the towels the last time I visited :confused: . How horribly embarassing....:blushing: !