• Do

Votes: 5 33.3%
  • Dont

Votes: 9 60.0%
  • not sure

Votes: 1 6.7%

• Total voters

ViolaceousTiger

A child is a child no matter where you adopt it from. So if you're thinking about adopting and you're ready for this lifelong committment, then why not?

Ken King

A little rusty but not crusty
PREMO Member
I'm not saying yes or no to the question, but don't we have many right here at home needing parents too?

Nickel

curiouser and curiouser
Ken King said:
I'm not saying yes or no to the question, but don't we have many right here at home needing parents too?
For some reason or another, I've heard it's easier and cheaper to adopt from out of the country than from within. :shrug:

willie

Ken King said:
I brought up the same question with a relative waiting to adopt a child from the Ukraine. The answer...."it's the right thing to do" :confused: BTW, there is a huge waiting list.

Ken King

A little rusty but not crusty
PREMO Member
Nickel said:
For some reason or another, I've heard it's easier and cheaper to adopt from out of the country than from within. :shrug:
So by it being "easier" does it make it more right to adopt a foriegn child while leaving an American child parentless? :confused:

Nickel

curiouser and curiouser
Ken King said:
So by it being "easier" does it make it more right to adopt a foriegn child while leaving an American child parentless? :confused:
Absolutely not. I was just explaining why couples may be more apt to adopt from overseas. It is very, almost too, expensive to adopt a child in this country, and it's sad, because it deters families who cannot conceive, and would otherwise provide a good home, from adopting.

pineapple

Nickel said:
:yeahthat: I think its wonderful when someone opens thier heart and home to a needy child, but so many children in America need homes...why not adopt one of our own

BuddyLee

Football addict
Ken King said:
Lest we also forget the underground kidnapping of children, especially in Asia. Big bucks out there for that sort of thing.

CMC122

Go Braves!
Adopt from wherever you want to but if I were to do it I'd adopt children from here.

I'd do it in a heart beat too if I had the money and room. Watching Wednesday's Child on the news always tears me up.

V

Vixen

I wonder what you say to a child that you adopt from Ethiopia when they don't eat their dinner? :confused:

Railroad

Routinely Derailed
Just my instinct, no reason, but I say the first choice should be to adopt children of the U.S. I have a buddy who adopted some Korean kids. We didn't discuss the reasons for his decision, but he did indicate he thought it was right to bring the kids here, because even the worst off in America are better off (in the long run) than those overseas. I see his point but don't think that clinches the argument.

K

Kali

RoseRed said:
I just wouldnt. The kids over there have too many issues that I'm not interested in dealing with. I would adopt from Russia, if I couldnt get a child in the US. I also am not interested in having a multiracial family, but thats just me.

itsbob

I bowl overhand
Ken King said:
I think it's more a financial question..

When it takes between $20 - 50,000 to adopt a deserving American Child, and 10 K or less to adopt a foreign child, a childless couple without the means may choose to look overseas.

I would wonder the age, I'm a firm believer habits and social function are developed well before age 5. I'd adopt anyone less then 2 years old from anywhere as long as they were healthy, older then that would be a little tougher.