Anyone used Carmax?

dustin

UAIOE
If I can't sell my truck by the end of this month (right now its at $11,795), I'm gonna take it to Carmax and try to get dealer Blue Book for it.

Anyone have any experience with them?

Christy

b*tch rocket
dustin said:
If I can't sell my truck by the end of this month (right now its at $11,795), I'm gonna take it to Carmax and try to get dealer Blue Book for it.

Good luck. I've had a few friends go through Carmax. You get decent deals on buying, but totally crappy deals on your trade in. Gotta make the money somewhere I guess. :shrug:

And can't you wait a few more years before you sell that truck? I'll need something for Brandon to drive when he's 16. :biggrin:

dustin

UAIOE
Christy said:
Good luck. I've had a few friends go through Carmax. You get decent deals on buying, but totally crappy deals on your trade in. Gotta make the money somewhere I guess. :shrug:

And can't you wait a few more years before you sell that truck? I'll need something for Brandon to drive when he's 16. :biggrin:
:ohwell: The insurance is killing us right now for 3 vehicles. I need to sell this thing. I shouldnt have bought it in the first freakin place. That SRB was burning a hole in my pockets back then.

:ohwell:

Sorry I can't hold off....unless youre volunteering to make the insurance payment...:lol:

Oz

You're all F'in Mad...
dustin said:
:ohwell: The insurance is killing us right now for 3 vehicles. I need to sell this thing. I shouldnt have bought it in the first freakin place. That SRB was burning a hole in my pockets back then.

:ohwell:

Sorry I can't hold off....unless youre volunteering to make the insurance payment...:lol:

They pretty much tell you that they don't pay more than KBB Trade In value in good or fair condition. So you can see their offer range without even contacting them...

tirdun

staring into the abyss
I've done two car deals through Carmax. I was very happy with the purchase and buying experience both times. I didn't have a trade in the frist time, the second they gave me just under what I found on KBB.

I don't think they don't always do Kelly Blue on the trade in, but they are very picky about what they'll pay for. Essentially, if your trade doesn't measure up to their resell requirements they blue book it and sell it to part guys wholesale. If I remember, there's a 40k limit on their premier cars and a 80k limit on their second-line sales. If you've passed 80k, it's KBB.

Last edited:

aps45819

24/7 Single Dad
Go to the intersection of 235 and Chancellors Run and pull U-turns till you sell it to someone's insurance company. :yikes:

Nickel

curiouser and curiouser
tirdun said:
I've done two car deals through Carmax. I was very happy with the purchase and buying experience both times. I didn't have a trade in the frist time, the second they gave me just under what I found on KBB.

I don't think they don't always do Kelly Blue on the trade in, but they are very picky about what they'll pay for. Essentially, if your trade doesn't measure up to their resell requirements they blue book it and sell it to part guys wholesale. If I remember, there's a 40k limit on their premier cars and a 80k limit on their second-line sales. If you've passed 80k, it's KBB.
We aren't going to be buying from them, we already purchased our new vehicle two months ago, but didn't want to have to take trade in on the truck, which only has 40k miles on it. It's hard to sell a truck with gas prices the way they are right now, so most likely it'll end up being sold to Carmax.

dustin said:

We bought our old Ford minivan from them. Traded in my chevy fullsize pickemup on it. I think they gave us a good deal on the trade in. If I was to buy another used car, I'd go see them.

dustin

UAIOE
Carmax sounds like a good deal then if I can get trade in blue book. I'll have to call around some of the local waldork used car dealers before i drive up to VA though...maybe i can get the same deal through one of the local guys.

cattitude

My Sweetest Boy
dustin said:
Carmax sounds like a good deal then if I can get trade in blue book. I'll have to call around some of the local waldork used car dealers before i drive up to VA though...maybe i can get the same deal through one of the local guys.

Do you have a spot locally where people park cars for sale? We have a few places here in Calvert and people are fairly lucky with selling them, especially if close to KBB.

dustin

UAIOE
cattitude said:
Do you have a spot locally where people park cars for sale? We have a few places here in Calvert and people are fairly lucky with selling them, especially if close to KBB.
It's on the base Lemon Lot right now. But I'm taking it off for a couple days today, then putting it back on again...

There isn't anyplace similar to what you described (although I know what you are talking about) around where we live.

I have it priced below KBB private party retail. It's on somd.com and on washington dc cragislist.

Havent tried the Tester yet. I never had any luck with them with my dirtbike, but I think I may do that just to see...

itsbob

I bowl overhand
Nickel said:
03 Dodge Dakota...Crew Cab, or whatever has the back seat but only 2 doors.
:killingme

Oh, I'm sorry, I thought you said it was a truck!!

Usually can't do better then what you can get for it for trade.. if you know what you are doing, they are already making THOUSANDS off of selling you anew car, they have room to be a little liberal in the trade, just never accept the first offer.. If they can they are going to TRY to make as much $$$ as they can.. I wouldn't be surprised at times if they make 10K on a single trade, buy deal, but I'm sure they'd ba happy if they made say 2500 too!

jazz lady

~*~ Rara Avis ~*~
PREMO Member
dustin said:

I bought a used minivan from them a couple of years ago and had a very good experience overall. They had the best price for what I was looking for. I had one problem with it and they fixed it pronto. :yay: